Author Topic: The Season That Was Not...  (Read 2369 times)

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The Season That Was Not...
« on: Apr 21, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Just looking at this past ice season in retrospect. Now that the season has closed... weather has moderated and plenty of good ice exists here in the south. Just saying if I was the Minister of Conservation I would have extended the regular ice season by 10 days or so. Give regular Manitobans a chance to enjoy the ice, pleasant weather and some tasty coldwater fillets if they so choose. Just sayin :-\

FF 
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline Leemb1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The Season That Was Not...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2014, 05:31 PM »
you got that right!

Offline oldccm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2014, 07:12 PM »
Quiting the game? Or moving on up to bigger and better toys?

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2014, 07:25 PM »
I totally agree !!! Especially now that my Sinus infection has gotten rather nasty and I won 't be walking on water this week as originally planned

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2014, 08:05 PM »
It was a season to remember (one way or the other) for sure and going forward more elasticity in the closures for the southern division (even if it were lake specific) would be worth discussion for sure.

The toughest part for me was not being able to get the kids out (5 & 2) as every date which presented an opportunity proved too cold/windy.  I have no problem footing it in -30 or -40, and I did more times than seemingly not, but that's too dangerous for the little ones.

Offline 40 Creek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2014, 11:33 PM »
That would have been great!!

Offline keen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 24, 2014, 09:44 AM »
Another thing to consider is that with the weather continuing to be on the cold side, there will be a lot of Walleye heavy with eggs when the season opens because the weather hasn't warmed the water for spawning. The season could have been kept open for a week longer and closed for a week maybe two depending on the weather. Too bad that the people that make these decisions aren't in touch with what is going on.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Apr 24, 2014, 04:42 PM »
Another thing to consider is that with the weather continuing to be on the cold side, there will be a lot of Walleye heavy with eggs when the season opens because the weather hasn't warmed the water for spawning. The season could have been kept open for a week longer and closed for a week maybe two depending on the weather. Too bad that the people that make these decisions aren't in touch with what is going on.
they are very in touch. Derek answered this question on MFF. Here's his response from a biologists standpoint:
Originally Posted by upnorth
Hey Derek.... Given the drama that comes up every spring regarding why the south division is closed for six weeks, could you or ken please try to elaborate on the reasoning why? When we look at Ontario, Minnesota and North Dakota, they have specific restrictions or no closures at all.

I think it would help educate all the masses on what seems like an outdated policy.

Thanks for your time.
Hi UpNorth,

The general spring closure is a method of protecting a highly exploited species (Walleye) when individual water body regulations are not feasible.

There is a lot to discuss on this topic, but I will try to keep this short.

First, Ontario is not wide open. There are about 25 to 30 water bodies in the Kenora district alone (a relatively small zone compared to MB Southern zone) that have general spring closure just like ours - some of them until the end of June. Very few people who think we are outdated / ignorant / uneducated want to acknowledge this fact. Jurisdictions to the south have warmer, more productive waters that can sustain higher rates of exploitation.

Second, Northern Ontario Walleye regulations (full license) are 4 per day - 1 over 45cm. That is a lot less 'biomass' of Walleye compared to Manitoba's 6 Walleye - 1 over 55cm. So Ontario has gone with less harvest potential per day. An angler could easily take home 10 pounds more Walleye per day in Manitoba than in Northern Ontario. Ontario has gone one way - Manitoba has gone another. Neither is right or wrong - just different.

Third, Walleye can be caught by anglers on the spawning grounds. A quick Google search will lead you to many magazine articles that tell you exactly how to do it. While it is difficult to quantify the stress on a fish that has been caught and released, we feel it is important to protect the fish species that is probably the most important to the majority of anglers in the province.

Now, that being said, Manitoba fisheries biologists and managers are fully aware of alternate strategies for management. We are not saying "our way is the only way", but without having the information to properly assess each water body, we are currently in a management strategy that protects the spawning population of our most exploited fish species. You could say we are using the precautionary principle.

We understand that this approach is frustrating to some, but we feel that this is management approach is defensible given the resources we have available.

I hope that this has bee helpful.
If anyone wants to discuss further, I am happy to receive calls at 204-345-1450.

Offline clarky76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 24, 2014, 08:01 PM »
We hammered the walleye in NEK Vermont this year. Never seen so much activity.

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 25, 2014, 10:53 PM »
The season could have been kept open for a week longer and closed for a week maybe two depending on the weather.

A week ??.......I'd say like 2 more weeks easy ( 3 easily this year)
Will be catching walleyes full of eggs in mid May. The season openings - closures should be flexible and species and water body specific. Why can't we fish now for perch or burbot ?

Offline Greenteam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 09:53 AM »
they are very in touch. Derek answered this question on MFF. Here's his response from a biologists standpoint:
Originally Posted by upnorth
Hey Derek.... Given the drama that comes up every spring regarding why the south division is closed for six weeks, could you or ken please try to elaborate on the reasoning why? When we look at Ontario, Minnesota and North Dakota, they have specific restrictions or no closures at all.

I think it would help educate all the masses on what seems like an outdated policy.

Thanks for your time.
Hi UpNorth,

The general spring closure is a method of protecting a highly exploited species (Walleye) when individual water body regulations are not feasible.

Yes, they are out of touch

1) Have you ever tossed a lure in front of a spawning walleye or pike? They aren't in the least bit interested.
2) How does it matter when you catch them?
3) Some of us are allowed to catch them, even dip net them ( which is really the only effective way to catch a spawning fish)
4) Are there only two important fish species in Manitoba?

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49 PM »
Yes, they are out of touch

1) Have you ever tossed a lure in front of a spawning walleye or pike? They aren't in the least bit interested.
2) How does it matter when you catch them?
3) Some of us are allowed to catch them, even dip net them ( which is really the only effective way to catch a spawning fish)
4) Are there only two important fish species in Manitoba?

Give Derek a call and discuss your concerns. The walleye are the most important to them, with commercial fishing being the top priority. We recreational anglers are at the bottom.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.