Author Topic: Suckers in a bait pond  (Read 876 times)

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
Suckers in a bait pond
« on: Apr 18, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Would suckers be able to live And reproduce in a pond, I have a couple bait ponds, but we have a small frog pond that has no entrance or exit, so they could not invade anywhere else, it's a pond that was dug for fill for our house, if I put suckers in there do you think they'd survive and reproduce, also how do u trap suckers besides spearing or cage set up in a brook?

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Suckers in a bait pond
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Don't hold me to this, but it has been my experience that you will find suckers 9 times out of 10 in streams that have good oxygen levels, large or small, not in ponds. You could certainly try holding suckers in ponds, but reproduction and longevity might not be what you anticipate.

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2014, 08:40 PM »
We'll I just had several dozen left over and thought I'd try it in a secure pond with no exits to invade anywhere else but thank you

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2014, 11:23 PM »
If you don't own the pond, or have WRITTEN permission from the owner, you cannot stock a pond with nonnative fish.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 19, 2014, 06:47 AM »
If the pond is on your land. Put a good sized aerator in it. Suckers should survive. As for reproducing ?
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 19, 2014, 03:13 PM »

If you don't own the pond, or have WRITTEN permission from the owner, you cannot stock a pond with nonnative fish.

Would suckers be able to live And reproduce in a pond, I have a couple bait ponds, but we have a small frog pond that has no entrance or exit, so they could not invade anywhere else, it's a pond that was dug for fill for our house, if I put suckers in there do you think they'd survive and reproduce, also how do u trap suckers besides spearing or cage set up in a brook?

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2014, 04:50 PM »
I am not sure how the suckers would survive, but if it is deep enough so it don't freeze to the bottom it's worth a try. ;)

Around here some folks that use suckers as bait, dip net them in the spring when they are running up the creeks to spawn.
They go to where they see fish gathering and dip them out in a large net. Around here we need a license for that, but it just a matter of getting it from our closest conservation office.

The other way is to catch them on hook and line. Here they have to be caught in our regular fishing season.
They are not bad fighters depending on their size. Just a simple weight, length of line, a hook and regular earth worm will get you into them. :)

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.