Author Topic: It aint over till its over  (Read 1775 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
It aint over till its over
« on: Apr 12, 2014, 10:04 PM »
I caught a bunch tonight and kept about 15 nice crappies this evening 10"-12" I was able to drive the F150 right out on the lake. 16" of ice, bottom 12" rock hard clear ice. This will probably be the last weekend you can drive a truck out here, the shoreline edge is going to go soon. But should be able to still ice fish at least another week or 2.

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: It aint over till its over
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Some lakes by me are open on the shore no way to get out there. I wouldn't trust a truck on the ice now.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Apr 12, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Its funny first ice you got guys driving trucks all over 8"-10" total of ice here, (not me) but then late ice you got 12" -15" good hard clear ice with 4"- 5" of hard white ice on top of that, and everyone is scared to drive on it. I find it funny, lol. If you are going to break through it will be right at the shoreline.

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2014, 10:30 PM »
Its funny first ice you got guys driving trucks all over 8"-10" total of ice here, (not me) but then late ice you got 12" -15" good hard clear ice with 4"- 5" of hard white ice on top of that, and everyone is scared to drive on it. I find it funny, lol. If you are going to break through it will be right at the shoreline.
I wouldn't drive a truck out there with 30 inches. Its just me

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Apr 12, 2014, 10:39 PM »
Your not alone a lot of people won't, but to me late ice is a heck of a lot safer than first ice. i drill and check ice before I drive on any of it. 12" or more hard clear ice, with some more inches of hard white ice on top of that, then some slush on top of that, I have no problem driving on. It is the shoreline that gets if'y.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2014, 05:16 AM »
Your not alone a lot of people won't, but to me late ice is a heck of a lot safer than first ice. i drill and check ice before I drive on any of it. 12" or more hard clear ice, with some more inches of hard white ice on top of that, then some slush on top of that, I have no problem driving on. It is the shoreline that gets if'y.

Good luck with that  :whistle:

WS

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2014, 08:00 AM »
It got warm here and went to hell in 4 days.  I drove out on Monday and by Friday couldn't even walk out.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2014, 11:20 AM »
Still 5 feet of clear black ice up here!!!!   ;D
We can drive on the ice until the shoreline goes out.
Even then if we had strong enough ramps to bridge the gap we could still drive on it.  ;)2

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2014, 05:01 PM »
It is normally the same here, as in the main lake ice sheet is plenty solid, but it is the shore ice that stops you from driving out.

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2014, 10:38 AM »
 Was on White Bear Lake this weekend, still 2 feet of decent ice
 Was melted about 20 ft away from shoreline, but less than knee deep water at edge of ice
 I wouldn't drive a truck on it now either
 But if ya wanna get out to where the ice is, there are ways

Decent crappie bite (some decent sized) an hour before sundown
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 14, 2014, 12:15 PM »
I caught a bunch tonight and kept about 15 nice crappies this evening 10"-12" I was able to drive the F150 right out on the lake. 16" of ice, bottom 12" rock hard clear ice. This will probably be the last weekend you can drive a truck out here, the shoreline edge is going to go soon. But should be able to still ice fish at least another week or 2.

You really shouldn't be bragging about doing very foolish things. 12" of new ice is pushing it with a full size pickup, but last ice? You can't just see how strong ice is, and even if you could, its so patchy this time of year. This kind of thinking is what makes news.
-Tom

Offline rabbittrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 14, 2014, 12:42 PM »
You really shouldn't be bragging about doing very foolish things. 12" of new ice is pushing it with a full size pickup, but last ice?
Exactly what I was thinking

Offline Dakota Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fisherman walk on water
« Reply #12 on: Apr 14, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Not sure if I would be driving out in April or not but each to their own on the conditions they have. In dec/jan/feb have no problem driving on 12in of "good" ice as the temps are typical well below freezing. (this year was driving out the whole month of march) This time of the year the tilt of the earth is closer to the sun and we have longer days and temps that are well above freezing and lows above freezing. That being said just remember that ice thaws from the bottom up as the water underneath heats up with help from the sun melting from the top. Just remember that rock bottom spots will heat up faster (as rocks retain heat and adsorb heat) than mud bottom or weed bottom spots. Therefore in those areas the ice will typically be thinner this time of the year.
I was out last week and had no problem getting on (walking) but after being out there for nearly 10hrs in 60 degree temps walking back I could barley make it. Ice was over 20" where I was fishing and felt very safe even though water was coming up the hole before it was even close to being completely drilled out. Problem was the ice was flexing from 50 yards out from shore and people were falling in and I stepped fell through twice and a kid went in to his arm pits.  For me that was enough and called it my season ice was changing to fast for my liking.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #13 on: Apr 14, 2014, 06:21 PM »
For the record I am done driving out now.
Weather update: Forecast low tonight 10f and Wed. snow 4"-6"
I heard that today and just have to say **censored**!
On top of the 28" of ice still on the big lakes here. We will be tip up fishing the opener May 3rd. Just 19 days away.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2014, 10:49 AM »
I drove 250 miles on one of our ice roads for work yesterday.   ;D
Ain't over here yet.   ;)2

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Apr 16, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Ya its still cold here, ya it's snowing today 12" expected, ya we still have good ice, ya I caught a 13" crappie out of the 14 I caught last night through the ice. I don't care if we have ice until June. Btw my biggest so far and it ain't over yet just warming up. And I lied I drove my truck out on the ice last night, not far just off the landing, but on the lake, the ice isn't even cracking yet, nor is the water draining down the holes yet. Meaning the ice is still locked up to shore and the lake bottom around shore, so the ice sheet has not floated up yet letting the water drain down the holes yet. The thick bottom ice still is as clear as looking though 12" of glass. The low temp yesterday was 11f, the high today was 36f.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Apr 16, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Nice crappie.  Your making me long for another day on the ice.  Hopefully after this weekend I'll be able to make a multi-day trip... fingers crossed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.