New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Trout places and sites  (Read 664 times)

Offline Ammo5254

• IceShanty Rookie
Trout places and sites
« on: Apr 10, 2014, 10:25 AM »
Now that hard water is out I was thinking of trying to catch some trout which I have never done before.  Any suggestions on where to try in the capital region?  I am looking for places to park and spots to try.  Probably just going to fish with barbless hooks and a worm and bobber?  Also now that hard water is over does anyone know of a good local fishing forum similar to this for open water?  Thanks and tight lines!
-Chris

JJ

Re: Trout places and sites
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Use myfishfinder.com for open water questions, link is right under the date/time near the sponsors in the upper left of each page.

Offline EasternCentralNY21

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love The Great Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10, 2014, 11:40 AM »
Hey man I had the same problem when I started going after river trout.. Here is some advice go into google and type nys dec PFR maps that shows what trout streams have public easements allowing you to walk the bank of the streams.. Also for parking spot try typing : dec fishing spot map for google.. This will bring up a google maps page with a dec public parking area map overlayed on top of it.. Basicly it shows you spot where you can pull off the rd to fish give me a little bit and I will get some links to these pages they helped me expand my fishing spot knowledge and they will help you too.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2014, 11:43 AM »
http://www.dec.ny.gov/pubs/42978.html hope that works scroll down on that page to the spot thats says something about parking areas for fishing click the map thing not the earth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Apr 10, 2014, 11:47 AM »
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9924.html

And here is another one that shows the public fishing rights for certain rivers and streams based on region.. I'm in region 5 so I click 5 on the little blue map and it brings up rivers an streams by county and shows you the easement along the bank... Good info on those two links so get out and fish !!

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 10, 2014, 12:22 PM »
You can also get a great book on the subject: Fly Fisherman's Guide to New York, by Eric Newman. It is a little pricey, about $28.00, but covers the whole state. I find it very helpful. My son got it as a gift for me at Orvis, at the Manchester, VT. store, but I'm sure you can find it online. Then get the JiMapCo Maps or the series of fishing maps of NY and you can find ANY spot to fish in NY.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2014, 12:48 PM »
as of right now everything is pretty much too high and murky. the kaydaross looks like its gone down enough to fish though.. and if you check out that map i posted it will show you 6 public spots on the kay..

Offline Ammo5254

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2014, 03:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys!

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 13, 2014, 01:11 PM »
good post and information for the trout angler

Offline FCH88

• IceShanty Rookie