The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice fishing next weekend -Northern Maine  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Big wood

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing next weekend -Northern Maine
« on: Apr 06, 2014, 12:33 PM »
My son is out for a visit next weekend and asked if we could head out on the ice. I'd like to find a decent lake still open to ice fishing.  Any recomendations?  I thought maybe Little Big Wood?  Any tips appreciated. Feel free to PM.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Thoreau

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Ice fishing next weekend -Northern Maine
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2014, 03:44 PM »
I thought all northern lakes were closed. My favorite time of year at camp Ice fishing on Chesuncook' Caribou when I found most all lakes in Piscataquis  county  are closed. Had to cancel several parties because of this.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 06, 2014, 04:58 PM »
I thought all northern lakes were closed. My favorite time of year at camp Ice fishing on Chesuncook' Caribou when I found most all lakes in Piscataquis  county  are closed. Had to cancel several parties because of this.

Do you ever read a law book before commenting?  Doesn't seem so based on several of your posts. :(.  Little Big Wood seems like an excellent choice based on the criteria you mention b.w., there are others if you consult the law book. @)

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #3 on: Apr 06, 2014, 06:26 PM »
Do you ever read a law book before commenting?  Doesn't seem so based on several of your posts. :(.  Little Big Wood seems like an excellent choice based on the criteria you mention b.w., there are others if you consult the law book. @)
  Does make an interesting read............... ;)
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2014, 06:50 PM »

Should be no confusion with this new book, I understand how people may have been confused by the old one but if this one causes people problems they may want to consider bowling or needlepoint.  ;D

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2014, 07:16 PM »
There are less and  less fishermen and hunters in the state of Maine every year .Why I think we have more and more people with no common sense when it comes to running the depts.,  Many people just seem to make things more and more complicated . We have gone down hill big time . No more Atlantic Salmon no more Smelts, No more Eelvas   and many more species will follow. Over cutting our forests making our lakes more acid. And most of the people responding  care less and less . Most fishermen seem to be more worried about some other fisherman setting too close to his hallowed hole. It appears that the bucket Biologist  have improved the fishing more than our Fishery's Dept.. More and more fishermen are after Pike and Crappies , and that is not a results of our tax  dollars .  If you are not in favor of my comments you probably work for the state or Gov.

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2014, 07:56 PM »
There are less and  less fishermen and hunters in the state of Maine every year .Why I think we have more and more people with no common sense when it comes to running the depts.,  Many people just seem to make things more and more complicated . We have gone down hill big time . No more Atlantic Salmon no more Smelts, No more Eelvas   and many more species will follow. Over cutting our forests making our lakes more acid. And most of the people responding  care less and less . Most fishermen seem to be more worried about some other fisherman setting too close to his hallowed hole. It appears that the bucket Biologist  have improved the fishing more than our Fishery's Dept.. More and more fishermen are after Pike and Crappies , and that is not a results of our tax  dollars .  If you are not in favor of my comments you probably work for the state or Gov.
what does this have to do with the original post? Read the law book. It's not that confusing.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:07 PM »
You definitely Must work for the state.

Offline hardwater12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:23 PM »
You my friend are clearly uneducated, this site has gone to the birds.

Offline gradysjeep

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:27 PM »

:wacko: Few to many sunday afternoon cocktails.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:31 PM »
You both must be employed by the wonderful State of Maine  gone the way of the Salmon!!

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:38 PM »
haha far from it.

Offline phatptrck1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2014, 01:46 AM »
You my friend are clearly uneducated, this site has gone to the birds.

i think the word you're looking for is intoxicated

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2014, 05:48 AM »
Many posts on this site make me wonder if people read the law book. If you take the time to read enough of it, in the right order, you will find it easy to understand. When you read only a few lines it will be unclear. If you use sites like this one for your legal information you will know just enough to get yourself into trouble.

Offline TheSituation

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 07, 2014, 06:03 AM »
My son is out for a visit next weekend and asked if we could head out on the ice. I'd like to find a decent lake still open to ice fishing.  Any recomendations?  I thought maybe Little Big Wood?  Any tips appreciated. Feel free to PM.

I think Little Big Wood is the only lake still open in the Jackman area.

Offline lonmower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2014, 07:04 AM »
You could always head down to Mountain View, on the way to Greenville.

Offline nateicefisherman1984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2014, 12:59 PM »

No more Atlantic Salmon is the states fault ? No more smelts ? Plenty around if you know where to go. Seems like a lot of people I know still get plenty of elvers. No sure what an eelva is ? I suggest you do a little bit of research before blaming the state of Maine for these problems. You think the department is run by a bunch of idiots ? You surely would do a better job I think. Never mind employing individuals with at least 6 years of education in fisheries or marine biology not to mention years of experience. Bucket biologists are more damaging to the waters of Maine then anything else. You cry that biologists aren't doing there job. It all starts with the average fisherman. A good part of water body management is based on angler surveys, angler opinions. If every fisherman had such uneducated and ill informed opinions as your own then we are for some serious trouble.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Sounds like you work for the state also.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I'm waiting for the audio book version...
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline lonmower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2014, 05:22 PM »
A guy asks a simple question, and...? Did the moderators all leave for myfishfinder? I apologize, Big Wood, for the way your question was hijacked. Do you happen to work for the state? ;D

Offline Big wood

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Apr 07, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Wow - thanks for the overwhelmingly positive responses. This is very helpful. For future reference, I do not work for any state agencies. I am just a guy from Cumberland County looking for a place to make some memories with my son who turns 18 this week.

Prior to posting , I compiled a list of all bodies of water in the northern/ western counties open to ice fishing until April 30 as designated by Maine IFW and then cross matched them with the Maine Lake Survey maps that identify depths and fish species present.  Once complete I looked for ease of access and nearby lodging.

Little Big Wood popped out as #1 on the list - and not only was it #1 statistically, I kind of identify with the name of the lake, well sort of-  then I thought "hey the guys on Ice Shanty are a friendly bunch" and there has to be someone out there that can provide some real world insight that I couldn't get from simply building a geeked out database.

Thanks again.  I'll post pictures after the trip.  :tipup:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Thoreau

Offline sebagosalmo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Most shanty members are great folks !  ;D

Very few on here make stupid statements !  :cookoo:

Hope you and the boy catch lots of fish   :icefish:

Offline Aucoin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' Fanatic
« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2014, 09:05 PM »
PM sent with info. hints, but no spots...more satisfying when you find the secret one yourself :) Don't worry about the negativity.  I've fished all over the US and we have probably one of the best fisheries! I actually just bought a camp up north and look forward to putting more time in up there.  fyi, I don't work for the state and don't disagree with what they have done fisheries related.  However, I do see a change in natural native habitats due to our state becoming more populated. Unfortunately we can't control economy driven implications. Money and greed is invading.  Too bad that money can't coexist with strict regulation. No matter what when I arrive at camp and enjoy the isolation those things are irrelevant. Good fishing!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Apr 08, 2014, 05:40 AM »
Wow - thanks for the overwhelmingly positive responses. This is very helpful. For future reference, I do not work for any state agencies. I am just a guy from Cumberland County looking for a place to make some memories with my son who turns 18 this week.

Prior to posting , I compiled a list of all bodies of water in the northern/ western counties open to ice fishing until April 30 as designated by Maine IFW and then cross matched them with the Maine Lake Survey maps that identify depths and fish species present.  Once complete I looked for ease of access and nearby lodging.

Little Big Wood popped out as #1 on the list - and not only was it #1 statistically, I kind of identify with the name of the lake, well sort of-  then I thought "hey the guys on Ice Shanty are a friendly bunch" and there has to be someone out there that can provide some real world insight that I couldn't get from simply building a geeked out database.

Thanks again.  I'll post pictures after the trip.  :tipup:

Glad this worked out after all b.w.  Plenty of ice and snow up there, just watch the area in front of Wood Stream.  Splake, salmon, brookies all possible.  Inexpensive lodging available close by at Spruce Meadow cabins as well.   :tipup:

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2014, 06:00 AM »
really good luck on your trip........after some time on here your biggest critics just might turn into your best resource....slammed and been slammed.....booted and rebooted....skunked and reskunked..........how many sights do you know where everyone can walk on water.....there is no stupid question and if you don't ask you'll never know....give the shirt off my back for most in here and even an occassional empty.............have a great day with your son that is the most important part.
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline cchase

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Is everything thats wrong with the world the STATES fault, the WARDENS fault. Im pretty sure the reason the NOTS are here is because of mistakes WE made.  Call me crazy. 

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2014, 08:47 AM »
There are some gray areas in the law book for sure like brook trout possession/catch limits in eastern Maine. I still am very surprised that the areas in Maine with the most ice are the ones closed Apr 1st to ice fishing. It seems that 2 years ago when southern Maine lost their ice in early March some laws were adjusted for that half of the state while Northern and Western Maine got robbed of some great ice fishing oppertunities.
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Apr 08, 2014, 01:19 PM »
There are some gray areas in the law book for sure like brook trout possession/catch limits in eastern Maine. I still am very surprised that the areas in Maine with the most ice are the ones closed Apr 1st to ice fishing. It seems that 2 years ago when southern Maine lost their ice in early March some laws were adjusted for that half of the state while Northern and Western Maine got robbed of some great ice fishing oppertunities.
There are no gray areas, only people who can't read and comprehend.

Offline nateicefisherman1984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Apr 08, 2014, 02:16 PM »
 I do not work for the state of Maine. It drives me crazy when people make idiotic statements based only on there opinion.

Offline Scalloper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Eat Scallops
« Reply #29 on: Apr 08, 2014, 08:43 PM »
There are no gray areas, only people who can't read and comprehend.
BS
______________________ ___

Its a lazy man that cant find his wife a second job

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.