Author Topic: Last trip for me yesterday... Story & Pics  (Read 1425 times)

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Last trip for me yesterday... Story & Pics
« on: Apr 05, 2014, 11:56 AM »
OK I took the pictures so I guess I have to tell the story. Hooked up with Coffin Dodger (CD) and Pool Guy (PG) yesterday morning at a spot that was about the same distance time wise from the south, east and west for the three of us. I added my daughter's boyfriend Tim to the mix who she dropped off at my house at 4:15 am. I couldn't believe it when I saw the car pull in. I thought they would be late for sure. Tim had only ice fished one time before with PG who he worked for a few years back. One of those "small world" things. On the way there I told Tim by the end of the day he would have an ice fishing name. When I got there we looked at a map of the waterbody, picked a spot and headed for it. We wanted to be near shallow water but also be close to some deeper water in the 20-30 ft. range. Was easy walking and got to our spot in about 15 minutes. PG headed out to check the deeper water, CD was set up in 10-20 ft. deep and I set up 3 tips in the shallows with eggs. Then set up in 10-20 ft with the rest of them. Tim and I were rotating turns on our 12 tips.  Had a few hit & spits then CD got a flag and laned this 3.5 lb. smallie.

Then one of my flags goes up in the shallow. Figured it was a bow and I was right. Got it up into the whole and he comes unhooked. We were standing around BSin and Tim says "There is two flags up". So we look and see one of CD's up and head for it and look around for the second one then I ask Tim "Where the second one?". He can't find it (there wasn't one up) so I named him "TwoTipupTim" (TTT). PG was fishing farther down from me in the shallows and had one tip go up with a hit & spit then then next one the same thing. He grabbed his auger and punched a father down the line and jigged and caught a nice bow. He has the picture. Same one that hit the two tips? I say yes. Dealt with some more hit & spits then one of mine goes up and it is TTT turns. He nails this 3 lb. smallie. First smallie for him through the ice.

Cd was chasing flags all day and landed some other nice bass. He gave one flag to PG and he iced this 3+ smallie.

I had one flag set up with a meal worm in 20 ft. of water go off several times only to have it just off the spool. I figured it was a trout for sure with the bait I had on. It goes off again and I walk to it by myself because everyone was sick of walking to it. This time it was spooling and I immediately set the hook. I knew it was a big fish right away and thought trout. Finally got it to the whole and it was a big 3.5 lb smallie. A first for me catching a smallie on a meal worm through the ice.

It was around 2:00 and the clouds moved in (CD & I like cloudy days) and it triggered a trout bite for about 1/2 hour. A flag went up and it was TTT's turn. Thought for sure it was a bass because of where it was set up.  TTT hooks it and we knew it was a good one. He gets it to the whole and to my surprise I saw that it was a nice brookie. He did a good job heading it into the whole but when I went to bear paw it out it turned and headed back down the hole. TTT got it back and this time I got it on the ice. 1.5 lb. brookie. His first trout through the ice.

Right after that PG iced a nice bow. Then the wind shifted from the east and everything shut down. Stayed for an hour then packed up and heaed for the trucks. I love CD's sled.

Got to the the vehicles, CD showed us some pictures of past trips to Ontario & Alaska. I think that the fish have a hard time Dodging this guy. I had a blast and we will definately be doing it on the ice again hopefully in December. Thanks Coffin Dodger and Pool Guy. Maybe we can hook up for some softwater fishing.

Offline fisherhawk55

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Last trip for me yesterday... Story & Pics
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Nice , great way to wrap up the season .that's a nice sled to  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline FishEnticer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2014, 02:45 PM »
Good day, great report and nice finale.  :)

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Great write up of a very nice day, Denny.
You're quite the photographer! Didn't realize you had taken so many pics.
Learned a lot from you, yesterday. A Dec trip this year is a must.
If the big lakes ever melt, my boat would be more than happy to accommodate us for a trolling trip. That is, if we can get PG out of the pool.  ;)
Just occurred to me, that unless we get trolling this month, the soft water season will be the same length as this ice season.  ???
Thanks again for a great day, Denny.  :) 

Offline JuneBug856

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2014, 04:58 PM »
nice smallies!
U think that would have stopped ole G.W. From crossing the Delaware ???

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Nice fish good way to end the season !

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Good Work, Guys, way to go..........  :tipup:
Salmonemia

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2014, 07:53 PM »
M&M nice write up to a good end of year trip...had a great time fishing with both you and CD and lets not forget  TTT, that's was funny looking around for that second flag...Tim aka "TTT" is a good guy and fun to be around, he keeps ya laughing that for sure.  Those pictures of CD's fishing trips are fantastic...
Was finally nice to meet you Denny and fish with CD again....couldn't have pick a better bunch of guys to fish with to end a season with... Rich if I get a chance to take a day off this spring I will take you up on your offer to go trolling, Denny maybe we can get Tim out on some open water.

Thanks again guys
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2014, 06:31 AM »
CD & PG I had a great day with you guys and TTT is always quite the act. Definately if we can pull it off lets do a troll. I'm sure CD can show us quite a bit about the art of trolling. PS -  I couldn't sleep yesterday morning so I got up early and went back and fished off the point. Caught 2 nice smallies and 2 nice brookies. The ice was OK till about noon then that 1 foot of compacted snow turned into water and I headed out. ON to MFF.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2014, 07:45 AM »
sounds like a great day right there some real quality smallies too
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2014, 12:41 PM »
CD & PG I had a great day with you guys and TTT is always quite the act. Definately if we can pull it off lets do a troll. I'm sure CD can show us quite a bit about the art of trolling. PS -  I couldn't sleep yesterday morning so I got up early and went back and fished off the point. Caught 2 nice smallies and 2 nice brookies. The ice was OK till about noon then that 1 foot of compacted snow turned into water and I headed out. ON to MFF.

Glad you got back out Denny.  :) Way to finish up.
I'm getting ready for the ice out on the big lake. It's going to be a long wait!

Offline PapaAthona

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2014, 07:25 AM »
Nice job guys! Great end to a great season!

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2014, 03:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing the report and pics Denny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.