Author Topic: Ice Fish Finders  (Read 871 times)

Offline lewistonicer

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Fish Finders
« on: Apr 04, 2014, 09:53 PM »
I am new to ice fishing with battery operated fish finders.  Any recommendations as to what to look for and what not to go for?

Offline Hamstn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Fish Finders
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2014, 08:29 AM »
First look for one that is ice fishing specific. They are have flasher and battery in a portable package.

I don't have a specific model to recommend, but a couple of brands to look at is Marcum, Vexilar, and Humminbird. Each have a models to fit different budgets. Usually the ones above entry level are better or have more features all the way up to LCD screens and cameras.

I would think that now ice fishing is over one could find some good deals on them.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2014, 09:08 AM »
First is how much is in your budget.....from there you can research the models available from the manufacturers listed above in that price range .....first use the search function on this site .... ...http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0....lots of info to sift through....  a lot of good and bad to be said about any make and model .... if you know some one with a flasher good idea to see "how "  they work or YouTube ...lot of videos on flashers and how to's ....once you get your heart and mind set on the make and model jump on any deal thats in 20 % or more off MSRP.... deals in that range dont last long ....most (but not all) sites have free shipping on electronics so make that part of your math also.....BTW l have a 10 year old Vexilar FL18 ...l recently gave it a face lift by adding a triducer and ultra pack ....after looking at all the new makes and models ....just an upgrade/add on was all l needed/wanted ....but i did mis out on a Marcum LX 7 deal earlier in the season ....waited to long .... happy hunting and good luck
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 07:27 PM »
I was in your shoes two years ago and spend hours on end researching different brands and models.  I ended up going with the Marcum Showdown Dual Beam and absolutely love it.  It's very simple to use and understand for someone who never used a fish finder before.  When it comes to brands all of them have their pros and cons but most work well.  One of the big cons a lot of guys give the Showdown is the screen is black and white rather than color.  I personally don't mind and like the fact that top is top and bottom is bottom rather than looking at a circle and figuring out the depth.  Sure color would be nice but I'm more than happy and content with the Showdown.  The first place to start is to figure out your budget since there are lots of different prices.  Personally I'd recommend the Showdown Dual Beam (around $400), the Marcum LX-3tc (around $400), or the Marcum  LX-5 (around $500.00).

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2014, 07:17 AM »
I am new to ice fishing with battery operated fish finders.  Any recommendations as to what to look for and what not to go for?

Buy one now (off season) and you should get a good deal.

You will get feedback stating all of the different brands .....  bottom line is most will help you catch fish!

I have a Vexialr FL18 ... and love it!
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline BRIFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jun 01, 2014, 08:05 AM »
I got a Lowrance elite 4 ice pack this fall and loved it.  I love that I have it I. The boat all summer and the baterry last a long time.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.