New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George leaders seeking the big boys (Bass Pro and Cabelas)  (Read 5740 times)

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
http://poststar.com/news/local/lake-george-leader-still-seeking-outdoors-shop/article_d5338140-bb80-11e3-a5f0-0019bb2963f4.html

I just read that the village is seeking out either of those two. I got excited when I first read the article.
I'm sure either store would create quite the draw for our area. Not to mention they'd probably create 20+ new jobs.

But, I can't help but feel for the local owned shops in our area. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
I say stay out of our town, thing are just fine. 20 jobs and 2000 visitors a day.  Imagine americade all year long. And then the massive amounts of lake traffic during ice season. I know people that literally plan vacations to go visit these amusement shops. I enjoy visiting them
Myself, right where they are now. Of the jobs created how many do you think would disappear.  307
Would take a huge hit, johns outdors, pretty much any shop with in 50-75 miles would feel the ripple. And the conjested exit 21, NOPE... Stay out. Just my opinion.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I can't imagine that there would be enough people or business nearby to have them set up shop.

As busy as it is certain times of the year it is fairly dead other times.

And  ....  how many summer visitors are outdoorsman??

I know they have certain demographics they require before they will open a store.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
I heard a few years back that a cabelas was coming to South Glens Falls. 

That would be awesome!!

As far as by the outlets NO FRIGGEN WAY.  I don't even go to 307 after June 15 that area is a traffic disaster.  149 is the worst coming from the east.

Offline fishnfool59

• Team IceShanty Regular
i for one would love to see a bass pro shops and or cabelas come local just not sure lake george is the best place for it. but then again their building a 6 story hotel in george so who knows. i try to stay out of lake george in the summer.i moved to the dacks to get away from the fast paced crazy life of downstate.
help protect and keep our great outdoors clean!

Offline perchinmybucket

• Team IceShanty Regular
IMO Saratoga would be the best spot... right near wilton mall. Get rid of all the dinky donk Chinese places and put a real store in.

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
Somebody need to compete with Dicks.  Dicks is aweful.  They run their season change too early.  I needed a warm hat in February and he dolts were sold out and not buying more.  I needs some ice fishing gear, nope sold out but they had trout gear in.. 

I hate dicks but still get a few things there.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
IMO Saratoga would be the best spot... right near wilton mall. Get rid of all the dinky donk Chinese places and put a real store in.

Agree, Saratoga would be the ideal location.  Lake George "should" try to remain small and preserve the lake.  Instead of exploiting the lake.  And slowly eating away at the natural aspect of the area, like a cancer. They should turn the useless ramada into a health center, that would create jobs and utilize the layout of the inn.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
I also heard that Cabela's was going to build in Saratoga/South Glens Falls. They are opening a store in the Buffalo area this year.
  Bass Pro has the new store in Utica that is doing well according to an employee I know well. They just announced that they are building a very large addition to the Utica store for a larger boat sales/boating accessories section along with all their marine repairs that they now do off-site in a rented facility. Demo has already started on this project. That is going to open up much more space in the existing store, which in my opinion, they need badly.

BIGJim223

Offline perch md

• Team IceShanty Regular
Imo many anglers wont go to LG to fish in the summer because of the $40 lauch fee, $10 parking, and the LG permit It is an great fishery but can be expensive for a day of fishing!

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
I already hate LG so they can open any new business they want and it won't affect me. I fish elsewhere now exclusively. Geez, better fishing, more solitude - what's not to like about Lake XXXXXXXXXXXXX ?

The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What you guys are missing is a big key. Lake Champlain.

Every year the Elites have their big tournament on Champlain and most travel through lake george to get there. They dont spend a few days. They spend a week or two. There is no big shop out here for them. Bass pro shops is a HUGE sponsor for most of them. Not to mention, BPS would have "meet the pro" autograph sessions and promotions and stuff like that. Then ontop of that, all of us regular bass anglers that go to champlain. Champlain has multiple tournaments a week that draw 60+ boats.

Having a cabelas, or BPS somewhere off the north way between lake george and champlain would boost the economy for that area more then we know.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Imo many anglers wont go to LG to fish in the summer because of the $40 lauch fee, $10 parking, and the LG permit It is an great fishery but can be expensive for a day of fishing!

I personally dont fish LG in the summer because its such a hassle to put a boat in there for a day and deal with people.

I keep driving and go to Ticonderoga and spend the day on Champlain...I know alot of other people that do the same thing.

Champlain is the main bass attraction in NYS. Not lake george. People drive up from FLorida to fish champlain.

Offline gitthegaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Fish on"
I personally don't want a Cabelas in NY. , someplace like Bennington VT. or Rutland VT. is close enough for me! 1 hr drive and I still wouldn't have to pay NYS tax when I order on line!  ;D
Paul

Offline rvz

• Team IceShanty Regular
I seem to remember that Cabela's had made an offer on the old Saratoga Standard Bred Farm just west of the Northway at Exit 12.  After much consideration, the town decided that the store would create a negative impact, especially on the traffic, and did not accept Cabela's offer.  A short time after that decision, Cabela's announced that they would be building in East Hartford, CT.  As far as the sales tax issue...Cabela's announced back in June that they are building an 88,000-square-foot store in Cheektowaga, NY.  Cabela's expects to open the store, its first New York location, in the fall of 2014.  Their press release also mentions that the store is expected to employ up to 200 full-time, part-time and seasonal employees.  It will be located at the southeast corner of I-90 and Walden Ave. in a shopping center to be renamed "Cabela's Crossing".

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
would rather see gander mtn. been to all 3 and gander has some of the best deals

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
They send me all the catlogs every year five dollar shipping who needs another store.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
If between the two lakes is best, than Ticonderoga is a better place for such a store.  Doesn't get anymore in the middle than that. 

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Probably won't happen. It they do their proper research, they will find out that there is ot enough business to support such a "big box" store, year round. They will probably do well in the summer, but not enough for their large overhead in the off seasons and winter.

Also, they will kill our other shops. I for one say HELL, NO! If ou really need something from them that you can't possibly get from our local shops, get it on-line. Support our local shops!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Probably won't happen. It they do their proper research, they will find out that there is ot enough business to support such a "big box" store, year round. They will probably do well in the summer, but not enough for their large overhead in the off seasons and winter.

Also, they will kill our other shops. I for one say HELL, NO! If ou really need something from them that you can't possibly get from our local shops, get it on-line. Support our local shops!

i think you are dead on .....    they would probably be successful in Saratoga but further north just doesn't get the traffic they need.

I have been to Cabelas in Hamburg PA on Route 78 ......  that road is always busy and that is the type of area they want.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice

A few years back Cabela's wanted to put a store at exit 29 the site of the old Frontier Town just off the northway, but there were issues of water running off the parking lot in to the Schroon River. A big store like them would draw a lot of people to the area, people would make the trip up for the day, it would be a boom for other businesses in the area as well. JMO 

Fishmon

Somewhere near Saratoga would be a likely spot near an exit off Northway.   Roundabout land (Malta) missed their chance years ago.  Ticonderoga has a vacant Lowes store that closed after being open for about two years.  It really hurt the local economy when it closed and it would be great if a Cabelas or Bass Pro could fill up that space.  However, I don't think the traffic is there to support a big retailer; especially during the winter months.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Somewhere near Saratoga would be a likely spot near an exit off Northway.   Roundabout land (Malta) missed their chance years ago.  Ticonderoga has a vacant Lowes store that closed after being open for about two years.  It really hurt the local economy when it closed and it would be great if a Cabelas or Bass Pro could fill up that space.  However, I don't think the traffic is there to support a big retailer; especially during the winter months.

There is enough traffic from boat guys in ticonderoga during the open water season to carry the business through the winter.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
There is enough traffic from boat guys in ticonderoga during the open water season to carry the business through the winter.

No way .....   the carrying costs on a store like that are monstrous .....  they need to be turning out product all day, every day and can't have a stretch of months without heavy traffic.

That is exactly why they locate them where they do.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No way .....   the carrying costs on a store like that are monstrous .....  they need to be turning out product all day, every day and can't have a stretch of months without heavy traffic.

That is exactly why they locate them where they do.

Prime example of this is the Lowes closing mentioned above. If a building supply store, with a general public needed line of products can't make it, a speciality store certainly wouldn't make it.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The folks on here that are suggesting Lake George / Champlain area for the big box stores don't have an understanding of how a retail operation works. There is no :enough business in the summer to carry over the slow off season months". The small shops have to live this way, but the big boys don't. They set an income goal. If it is not met, they pull out, or, don't even go to an area to start with. Several years ago, a Gander Mnt. manager told me they were considering a store in Clifton Park. Corporate decided against it because the traffic would not be enough through the store to support it year around. Remember I said CLIFTON PARK! If that area could not support a store year around, Lk. G. & Champ. CERTAINLY couldn't.

I e-mailed the Lk. G. Town Supervisor and Village Mayor to protest placing a store there. It will kill all of the local sops in a VERY large radius. I would encourage anyone on here so inclined to do the same thing. I for one like our local shops. I don't want to see them put out of business. Then, if the big box sop pulls out, we will be royally SCREWED!  There will be NO shops. We will have to rely on the internet.

I know this from experience. I am a professional photographer. The big box stores came in, forced the little professional shops out. Then the big boys went out or stopped carrying what I needed (not enough business). Now, to deal with a pro shop, I have to go to New York City, and I HATE that city. As the old saying goes, "BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU ASK FOR< AS YOU MAY RECEIVE IT!".

Offline IcemanADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
Saranac Lake shot down Walmart. It was seen as flagrant but it worked and the small businesses are still there.

I don't think that a Bass Pro or a Cabela's could survive in the area but that's just me. However, Gander has survived in Plattsburgh for this long. A smaller, scaled back big box store is probably the way to go for long term stability. Either way, ice fishing is becoming a mom-and-pop/web-based shopping experience. The big dogs continue to lose money and scale back their inventory every year, push in more apparel and footwear, and shorten the season to the point where it's barely worth going in.

Just my opinion. I think if they were going to open a store they would have already.
"As I grow older, I've come to suspect that I have got it backwards, and that life, at its best, is a metaphor for fishing and writing. Or perhaps neither side of any metaphor is finally dominant, the one inextricably tied to its contrasting likeness, no longer merely a point of comparison but yoked in a new existence to its other self."
Wayne Fields

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I personally don't want a Cabelas in NY. , someplace like Bennington VT. or Rutland VT. is close enough for me! 1 hr drive and I still wouldn't have to pay NYS tax when I order on line!  ;D
One of many reasons not to want one here!!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
With out a doubt it will bring revenue to the area bring it on !!!
Mr.Esox

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity

We've had the big boys for a few years now and on Oneida Lake, it really hasn't cramped anyones style  , I'm not really a bronze backer , and LG is a much larger bigger lake , and it's not like your going to see thousands of people chasing them around , Brewerton is a small village and hardly notice the extra people or traffic and they hold the weigh-ins at the park , far as launching they launch very quickly , much faster than than most , only thing is you might see a few at the docks , pitching, I have only had one crossing the lake come  IMO a little to close when I was trolling, other than that I don't notice them , cause they run the shore line 95% of the time , but I do go down to look at the boats, pretty cool and have chatted with a few ,  a decent group for a bunch of weed choppers  ;D  JMPOV

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.