The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: So, Is it over for you yet?  (Read 4473 times)

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
So, Is it over for you yet?
« on: Apr 04, 2014, 08:04 AM »
As the hard season comes to an end, I am curious to see how many are still venturing out on the ice?

I went out Tuesday and it was still safe in Mallets Bay, but the top layer was getting quite slushy.  Not sure if the past few days has deteriorated the ice where one cant get on/off the ice.

Deciding if I am brave enough to give it one more day tomorrow.

Good luck and be safe out there!!

Wdy

The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: So, Is it over for you yet?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2014, 08:57 AM »
Woody, it looks like with below freezing the next few nights will still keep some of us venturing on at least another week.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2014, 09:11 AM »
I went out Wednesday and found that the ice hadn't lost any thickness since Sunday, but I did notice the clear layer at the bottom of the ice was no longer clear.  The holes were still staying clean on the bottom, and not all jagged.  I am going out this weekend both days, but I think that is going to be it for me.  I have been out a lot this year, and have fished quite a bit during the week after work, which I never have done in the past.  Ready to put the ice fishing gear up, bust out the turkey gear, and get an early jump on the birds in Oklahoma the 17th! 
Good luck everyone, stay safe, and keep the vehicles on shore.

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2014, 11:27 AM »
We'll hit it one more time this weekend. Next weekend the boat comes out of storage so I'll be getting that ready to go, plus maybe a little scouting for turkey season. The following weekend we'll be in Virginia Beach. Water is still pretty cold down there but by then there should be something biting. Fishing off the beach, jetty, or pier fishing. I don't really care if they bite as long as its 70 degrees !
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline shippeevt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2014, 03:28 PM »
im going out tomorrow on the ct river setback in bratt. just walked on without planks or anything! last day last year was 3/20!! ;D first day was 12/1 so not a bad season!
A bad day of fishing, is always better than a good day at work!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2014, 04:01 PM »
Measured  22 inches of good ice on moore reservoir today

Offline S.Fontinalis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2014, 06:15 PM »
It is not over for me but it is for Jen (translation....it is over for me.  Time to bust out the waders.)

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2014, 11:32 PM »
I will be ice fishing for two more weekends. I would love to ice fish the first day of trout season. I only did it once before and to do it again would be awesome

I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2014, 04:14 AM »
Yesterday was my last day. The ice has lost it's thickness; measuring only a foot now. I had a good season...fished 48 days this year. I fished some new spots and met some really nice guys. I'm looking forward to firing up my ETEC!

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2014, 05:20 AM »
Fat lady hasn't took the stage yet but shes waddling to it. :roflmao: :icefish:   

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2014, 05:33 AM »
been hoping to get at least one more day in. have been trying to get to maine to visit a friend and go ice fishing, but things just keep happening to screw up the weekends. I think it is time to pack the ice gear away and get the open water stuff out.

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2014, 12:25 PM »
Hoping for some ice reports tonight, but I pula to go to Isle LaMotte tomorrow.

Offline shippeevt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Apr 05, 2014, 02:17 PM »
had my last morning on the ice :'( only 1  :tipup: but it was a great season and i cant complain! spent a couple hours soft water fishing after, all in all a win!! till next year
A bad day of fishing, is always better than a good day at work!

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Is there water on the ice at Bomo? Want to go again but not swim!

Offline BinVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2014, 03:09 PM »
Went today and going tomorrow. Depending on weather may even get another weekend in. Still over 2' of ice on Champlain. Gotta watch for holes,but still good ice. Hoping to get into some big pike. Been weird this spring so far. Can't seem to find the big hens.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2014, 07:04 PM »
Today might have been my last day, but realistically I think I'll probably go out again.   I can't help it :D  I'm definitely carrying ice picks around my neck.  But there's still plenty of ice on St Albans Bay... though the edges seem sketchy.

I will be ice fishing for two more weekends. I would love to ice fish the first day of trout season. I only did it once before and to do it again would be awesome

Yeah!  Man I would love to keep fishing right up to trout season.  I keep saying it, but this was my first year ice fishing-- and honestly it was the best winter of my life.  Usually I'm counting down the minutes until I hit my favorite streams but this year I don't want winter to end.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2014, 07:14 PM »
yep, I've been saying all week that today would probably be my last day of hardwater fishing...but...when I got home I wasn't quick to pull any gear out of my car, so I'm hoping to stretch this out thru next weekend, but the weather will determine it all for me. The ice is thick, but it's turning to corn ice and my auger burned thru like it's butter with no effort at all and the thickness has shrunk since last weekend from 22" down to around 18". If it gets any more punky, it might breakup, so I'llplay it by ear from here on out and start seriously thinking of pulling my gear and start restringing the long poles.

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Yeah if I go out again I'll definitely have my icepicks around my neck.  And don't laugh too hard, but I'll probably be wearing the life vest that usually lives in my canoe.  :D

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2014, 07:45 PM »
If I go tomorrow I'm wearing a drysuit and PFD.  I was watching the Coast Guard training today on rescuing people through the ice.  It's tough getting back onto the ice as the edges keep breaking away under the swimmer.  Be careful and bring a rescue rope too.

Offline thebigwiggle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Love IceFishing for SMELT,PERCH,BLUEGILLS,CRAPPIE,
« Reply #19 on: Apr 06, 2014, 09:52 AM »
 I was on Bomo yesterday. And there is still plenty of ice out there. It's a little slushy on top but like I said there is still about 18 inches of good solid ice. With about 4 inches of white ice on top of that. I plan on fishing next week sometime and I plan on finishing the first day of trout season.
Also the shoreline is holding up pretty good on the northern end of bomo.

Also if you guys are going after the big perch on bomo a little piece of advice I can give you is stay close to the bottom and fish deep. The perch are feeding heavily on scuds and other bugs on the bottom. I caught seven big perch yesterday within a couple hours of fishing and four of them puked up bugs as I was bringing them up through the whole.
I do all types of fishing; but I am Die hard Ice angler.
I love Ice Fishing the lakes of Rutland County. Recently moved to NY and now will be Ice fishing the Lakes Of New York.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #20 on: Apr 06, 2014, 10:14 AM »
going to try and go wed if ice is safe might be last day if not il try a few spots that might be open  black bridge charcoal mud creek to name a few
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline slimeslopper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • that's why that call it fishin, not catching
« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2014, 02:03 PM »
I'm done, but what a day yesterday was.  sandbar beach, ice is  24 ish, til you get to he slushy yellow snow where the pressure crack usually is, where the depth changes from 4 feet on one side to 10 on the other.  once you find a way around the yellow, ice is about 20 inches, down from 26-28 last weekend.  perch were biting real good on minnows, or pieces of minnows, in 28 feet of water.  caught 119, 9 pounds meat once bellied.  ran outta bait.  auger went flying thru the soft ice, the sun is burning holes here and there form leaves and trash...careful where you step

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2014, 05:01 PM »
I'm done too, cleaned the gear out of my car today. Was an awesome season, finally caught smelt for the 1st time and big ones too down to Bomo, got some nice yellows and so many whites, I'll be enjoying fish cakes for a while.
Time to focus on bullpout and ice out crappies, then onto some SM and trout.
Hope everyone had a great time this season and already looking forward to the next one (with some new gear).
Tight Lines!
Mudchuck

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Apr 06, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Today was probably my last day too.  Headed north, up by the mouth of Charcoal.  Everyone was fishing pike, but my girlfriend and I caught some slabber perch.  She outfished me for sure with the monsters!  Beautiful day, but I think I'll play it safe and wait til trout season starts. We were too hungry to clean fish so we got a steak! But the perch are going in my freezer after dinner.   

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Apr 06, 2014, 07:16 PM »
I forgot to mention that it was my girlfriend's first fish through the ice today!  She was scared to go out at first, but we had safety gear and there were plenty of guys on the ice.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Apr 07, 2014, 07:15 AM »
Finished up my season yesterday on Keelers.  Great weather, bad fishing.  Only caught 5 perch, 2 seeds, a pickerel, and 2 bass.  One bass was on a quick strike with a 7in perch, which was a first for me.  Didn't mark many fish on the flasher, nor did I see many on camera.  Was hoping to finish the season on a good note, but no such luck.  Very hit or miss season for me.
I definitely wouldn't consider fishing Keelers this weekend, with the forecast they are calling for.  The ice was coming up in big shards late in the day, leaving the walls and bottom of the hole very jagged.  Some holes I drilled with the 8in hand auger, were coming out 10-12.

Offline wmhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wes McRae
« Reply #26 on: Apr 07, 2014, 08:47 PM »
I'm out to, wanted to hit a local pond one more time, but its not gonna happen. All done time to get ready for some salt water action. cod season opens on the 16th not sur if I'll be ready or not. Maybe I'll see some of you guys on our sister site My fishfinder, pretty lame last year I had it all to myself
Come on get on the ice fish!!

Offline rbobby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Apr 07, 2014, 09:06 PM »
It's over for me too, good year just bought a place on mallets bay looking forward to some summer fishing.

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Apr 08, 2014, 12:40 AM »
Done but what a great year.....just wanted to say thank you to everyone on here for all the great tips and conversation!!!
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

Offline tracker one

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if you ain't gonna eat em,throw em back
« Reply #29 on: Apr 08, 2014, 06:03 AM »
I'm done. Time to get the boat ready. Put 4 new motors on the big jons this winter,Very excited about getting the fishingmachine out on the water,soon

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.