Author Topic: Trout Lures  (Read 1370 times)

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
Trout Lures
« on: Apr 02, 2014, 12:43 PM »
What's everyone using for Trout lure/ line combos? Never caught one through the ice  :'(  Still lots of ice, so might have to give it a try this weekend!  :P Thanks for any replies!!! ;)

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trout Lures
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2014, 01:12 PM »
For splake I use a medium light rod with 4-6lb vanish for line . For lures I use 1/8 pk silver flutterfish or a 1/8 -1/4 kast master spoon. Seems to work pretty good .

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2014, 04:15 PM »
Hi bite-me7
For my rainbows, I have had luck jigging various brands of small spoons and tiny jigs and soft plastics.
Tip them with a bit of bait or use the bottle scents for extra attraction. ;)

For my set rods I have had good luck on a drop shot rig with a tiny hook a foot or so off the weight.
I also use a small hook directly with a wight up from it or off to the side has also produced.
I like small octopus hooks in those bright yellow and orange colors and small red circle hooks.

Baits that worked for me have been whole or chunks of minnow and those Berkley Powerbait trout nuggets in the trout hatchery formula or regular formula.
The trout hatchery formula is brown and smells like trout food and the other has it's own smell but is brighter in color.
I have had good luck with the orange and yellow color, but think any of the colors would work.

I usually jig a foot or so off bottom and set the set rod similar depth, but if no luck change the set rod depth.

I like to use a underwater camera, and it seems that the rainbows are always on the move, they come in fast and if they miss they don't just sit there like a pike and stare at it. If they miss the first time they either take another try at it and come in with their mouth open, or they leave all together.

They are quite good fighters and even the little guys are fun to catch. ;)

Good luck when you go for trout. :tipup:

WW

Offline whitetail/walleyefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2014, 10:42 PM »
I've had good luck on 1/16-1/8oz bucktail jigs with a shrimp threaded on or a small piece of minnow tail. Or a small jigging rapala with a maggot on the treble hook

Offline wally wacker49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2014, 09:56 PM »
 I like to fish with two jig lines for rainbow and brooks. I usually use a shiny flash lure in a 1/4 oz wt tipped with either corn, or trout bait, have had success with velveta cheese also on my treble. The other rod I like to use a small jig like the ones from saskatoons fishing hole that resemble a water beetle. I tip it with a corn piece or other small bait like pink trout bait and pop it so it swims, The combination of the two usually results in fish on the ice if they are present. Set lines tipped with corn, trout bait, worm or cheese all put fish on the ice at any given time.  Often at camp ten we chum the holes with kernel corn and then when the rainbows come in to feed drop a number 12 treble with a kernel of corn on it down the hole. sometime soaking your corn in anise means the difference in a lot of strikes or just a few.

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Don't use corn kernals for trout. Corn is a killer on small trout, they can not pass the kernals and it kills. Use fake corn or any one of the dozen's of trout baits designed not to kill small fish. If you doubt the statements do the research. Time to think of the fish not the frying pan.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2014, 09:52 AM »
Don't use corn kernals for trout. Corn is a killer on small trout, they can not pass the kernals and it kills. Use fake corn or any one of the dozen's of trout baits designed not to kill small fish. If you doubt the statements do the research. Time to think of the fish not the frying pan.

Maybe you can post a link to the research you have done. I found this in a couple minutes...

Commission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.
During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.

The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn.

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2014, 12:24 PM »
Your right the one study says no problem, I still read more against it than for it, plenty of area's with corn ban though. I am biased though as I have never bait fished trout because the lakes that have real good trout fishing have bait bans, I go after big fish. Do yourself a favor buy a fly rod and ditch the bait gobs, its more fun. Fish safe.

Offline panthermartin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Fly fish through ice?

Offline sidescan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2014, 02:31 PM »
Sorry I forgot I was on the ice forum my mistake. But summer no bait for me when it comes to trout. Single barbless is a great way to go, low mortality for catch and releasing. Fish safe.

Offline sandman66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2014, 04:54 PM »
I fly fish too, only use bait ice fishing for trout. Anyways, will you post some kind of link that to an actual study, I would like to read it.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:45 PM »
 that dog won't hunt..  i've seen rocks, cigarette butts, snail shells, bottle caps, plastics all sorts of nasty stuff in the stomachs of trout.  a couple kernals of corn is NOT the end of the world.  especially since the odd trout i'm lucky enough to catch either ends up on the bbq or the smoker  ;D bunged up arse definitely didn't kill those ones!

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:02 PM »
Fly fish through ice?

when I was at spray lake I used a spoon as dropper for a wet fly and seemed to work fairly well.

Offline panthermartin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Apr 05, 2014, 11:55 AM »
That's what I was curious about. I have a few different flies that resemble freshwater shrimp which I would consider to be the only thing swimming around besides fish this time of year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.