The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: INTERNATIONAL ICEFISHING INCIDENT  (Read 3292 times)

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
INTERNATIONAL ICEFISHING INCIDENT
« on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:17 AM »
WOW, THIS IS A NIGHTMARE...
Put yourselves in this ol' guys shoes and imagine the anguish he was having when the border agents rolled up and seized all his fish...
This is an outrage and we should support him anyway we can as a group.

http://www.samessenger.com/fishing-incident-border/

Offline flagfishon

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You should have seen it! It was huge!
Re: INTERNATIONAL ICEFISHING INCIDENT
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:33 AM »
Maybe this should be the location of our Ice Shanty get together.  We can all line up along the border.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:49 AM »
That's a great idea!!!
Let's hold a derby right there on the border
How the heck do they decide a fish is Canadian or American anyway? Did they track the fish as it swam across the border?

Offline Vtbassman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I did it because the red lines told me to.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:14 AM »
What was the date of this international incident?

April 1?
Vexilar Marine Electronics

Offline troutcrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:34 AM »
That's bizarre.

Offline noreastlocal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2014, 09:48 AM »
An incident on April 1st no less!

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Thousands of illegals cross the southern border every single day, and in some cases the border guards are told to ignore it.   This 71 year old guy is supposedly fishing near the border and creates an incedent?  SNAFU.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Sounds like the BP agents need to go back to school and take some remedial lessons on using DISCRETION   

Sounds like he might have a pretty strong case against the patrol officers... Here is the bottom line IMO...
#1 the guy is 70+ years old... do they really think he is causing trouble sitting on a bucket NEAR the border?
#2 He was not across the border when they approached him and took his fish. They would have a VERY VERY hard time proving to a jury beyond reasonable doubt that the mysterious hole arms reach beyond the unmarked border line (which was frozen over btw) was cut and used by the old man.
#3 It did not mention, so I have to assume he is not a fugitive from justice, or has any previous felonies, for armed robbery, murder, or drug smuggling.
#4 If I am not mistaken, he did not get fined for anything? If that is the case, why take his fish?

As for the concern with people being "too close" to the border: If the speed limit is 65mph (104kmh if your 6' over the border) do you not go above 60 for fear that it is too close to the limit? NO. You don't... in fact there is descretion amonst law officers that is common snese. If someone is going 67, are they really intending to break the law?
This stuff really grinds my gears....   
Chasing Ice

Offline shirefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2014, 11:20 AM »
There are too many problems with this story to mention, this "newspaper" in question in an afternoon paper. I have a feeling this afternoon's headline will be ha-ha April fools.

The first one is "5 buckets of fish"- nobody is catching fish like that anywhere on the lake!

Offline booner1108

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where are they Gord?
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2014, 12:56 PM »
I've got a feeling there was quite a fish fry the border, but which side?

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Regardless of how many fish, I have to disagree with the majority of comments here.  It's the responsibility of the fisherman ( or boat captain in summer) to know exactly where you are fishing when it comes to the border or restricted waters. There is NO EXCUSE to be fishing where you are not supposed to be.  I kayak that area several times a year and the border is clearly marked with red buoys, which I believe remain in year round.

This is the age of GPS and electronic nav charts. again, no excuse for the fisherman.

Offline perchhauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2014, 05:18 PM »
I have been fishing in that area this winter and have seen several Canadian fisherman cross the line and fish the Vermont side. about time they did something, too bad it was a Vermonter that got pinched. seems every day that the BP were out on snow machines no Canadians would come down....

Offline Lord_of_the_Perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Hey Seayaknh,

The red buoy (I'm pretty sure there's only one) does not mark the border. It's in the US. You need to line up the monuments/cuts in the trees in Highgate Springs and Alburgh Springs; or use a GPS.

You are right, there's no excuse for accidentally being in Canada.

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:40 PM »
The red buoy is in the U.S., but right on the other side of it is the Canadian border.

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:02 PM »
GPS is not that accurate.  What did they say?  A couple yards over the border?  GPS is not accurate enough if they are going to be that difficult.  They need to paint a line down the ice if they are going to bust balls that bad.  I agree with the lack of discretion post.

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2014, 10:04 PM »

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2014, 12:51 AM »
I'm about 99% sure this is an April fools joke or else it would've been on the WCAX or WPTZ news stations as well. Also the "quotes" in the article can be taken pretty offensive especially if it is an April fools joke. It's all terrible grammar which to me makes me think this guy thinks all fisherman are a bunch of hicks that can't speak well. No way is the real though or it'd be more heard of by now by larger local news stations..

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2014, 04:33 AM »
Terrorist and illegals can come across the border but no ice fishermen !  ::)

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Apr 03, 2014, 06:34 AM »
It's the responsibility of the fisherman ( or boat captain in summer) to know exactly where you are fishing when it comes to the border or restricted waters. There is NO EXCUSE to be fishing where you are not supposed to be. 

+1 

Offline icejumper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 03, 2014, 07:45 AM »
Sounds pretty fishy to me.    :cookoo: :icefish:

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I agree that it is the reponsibility of the fisherman (capt.) to know your location etc etc. And yes, I am aware that this is likely a 4/1 joke, but let say this really did happen...

According to the story, he was not over the border upon the officers arrival, and it seems that they had no solid proof that he had occupied the illigal hole.
Even if he had.... 2 yards people. 2 yards. I can understand 50 yards or even 25. and they guy is 72 years old. I am just saying, in THIS particular circumstance A warning, written or verbal is often times more effective and respectible to fellas like us.

For me, it comes down to how the whole deal was handled... DESCRETION
Chasing Ice

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Apr 03, 2014, 12:32 PM »
I left a message with the Warden in Highgate to ask if he could substantiate, and also left email with WCAX and neither and replied, so I'm thinking this might be an April fool's joke too.

On another note:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20140402/NEWS02/304020031/Vermont-state-Fish-Wildlife-tells-drivers-Keep-off-melting-lake-ice?nclick_check=1

Time to be hoofing it only on the ice.

Offline TroutWhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2014, 01:31 PM »
I don't see any other news outlets reporting it, which lends me to think April Fools.  However, the writer is very knowledgeable on the subject.  Not too many holes in the story....if any.
2GUYZ FISHING

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #23 on: Apr 03, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Not too many holes in the story....if any.
  :woot:
Chasing Ice

Offline ICE_HOOK

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish now or never !!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Apr 03, 2014, 02:19 PM »
I want 5 buckets a day! wow - more fish in Canada? Lets go!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Apr 03, 2014, 06:10 PM »
I want 5 buckets a day! wow - more fish in Canada? Lets go!

Head to Bomo !!   ;D

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:09 PM »
St. Albans Messenger is still running it on their website as an active story, but funny how noone else is picking this news up and running with it.

Offline TRAPPER3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:35 PM »

Offline S.Fontinalis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Apr 04, 2014, 04:58 AM »
Here is the number 1 sign this is a joke. No one knows the fisherman in the story. Usually some one posts a story about a fisherman and about five guys respond "yeah Jim's a great guy.  Been fishing with him for years. Just don't believe everything he says."  or people post "serves him right. He has always been trouble."

But no one knows this guy in the story.

Seems highly unlikely.

Mike

Offline seayaknh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:55 AM »
I spoke with Gary Rutkowski, Executive Editor of the St. Albans Messenger who wrote the story.  He told me it was an April Fools story and totally fabricated.  He said it has caused some comments and the Dept. of Homeland Security also expressed some concerns.

The St. Albans Messenger will run something today stating the story was for April's Fools Day.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.