Author Topic: Which Vexilar display preferred?  (Read 4794 times)

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Which Vexilar display preferred?
« on: Apr 01, 2014, 09:28 AM »
Hi guys - looking to purchase a Vex after using some friends'.  It appears that each version has one of two display options - the inside (with shroud around) or flat.  I realize it's different model, but the features are the same with the display being the difference.  So, which do people prefer?  Pros/cons of each?  How about if more than one person is peeking at it?  Thanks.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Which Vexilar display preferred?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2014, 09:34 AM »
I like the flat screen of the fl12 and fl20.its bigger than the others and water and snow doesn't build up on it.and you can view it at more angles than the fl8/fl18.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2014, 11:53 AM »
I have the flat version as well, the only negative I can say about it is it washes out pretty bad in sunlight.

I know I can change the way it is facing but most of the time I want it facing my tip ups so I can glance up at them and see if any have gone off rather than have to turn around, rain and snow wipe off very easily from it and it is bigger.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Couple years back was considering a Vexilar upgrade....had a chance to see a FL12.... in the sun ...I was looking over the shoulder of the operator with the sun on my back....was extremly difficult to see even if you shadowed the screen with your body....so this year I upgraded my FL18 ...ultra pack, triducer,flex light ,digital depth and battery indicator ....the "cone" has its drawbacks ...rain/snow accumulation ... and not perfect in the sun....so its all about preference of the operator .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2014, 12:44 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.  The sun was my big question.

Now, to stray from the original topic - any features that you consider as "must haves" once you leave the base FL-8 model?  Also, you guys preferring the Pro Pack, Ultra Pack or Genz Pack?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2014, 01:47 PM »
I like daytime/nighttime mode the 6ft/12ft zoom feature and low power mode on my fl20 and all my vexs have been pro pack im not into paying the extra price for the ultra pack.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2014, 02:50 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.  The sun was my big question.

Now, to stray from the original topic - any features that you consider as "must haves" once you leave the base FL-8 model?  Also, you guys preferring the Pro Pack, Ultra Pack or Genz Pack?

Digital depth was a great/useful add on ( I believe alot if not all new Vex's have this installed )  ...my vex is over 10 yrs old so it had the old style pro pack (no tackle box) my buddy had the newer style pro pack ..I didn't much care for it (tackle box not easily accessable) ...so went with the ultra pack .....like the tackle box n easy to get to ....the on off switch ...as well as the charging/accessory post (use this on my shelters led lights )   ...the flex light is nice for pointing down the hole for night fishing ....and the pole holder is also nice ...i sit on a bucket so having to carry the bucket and rod in one hand and the Vex and rod in the other I'm able to switch presentations ...carrying two rods in one hand(side) always dealing with tangles is now elevated ......also the mag shield is a nice touch less eye strain if your reading what depth they are bitn at.....plus the ultra case sits up a lil higher ...less neck strain as its at a different angle/height .....all that is contained in a Trophy Angler case/bag ...this has alot of pockets for storage for mag shield, beverage holder and the case's carring strap ....my Vexilar upgrades made my outings more productive .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2014, 10:11 PM »
Had a look at them at the store this evening.  From what I saw, you need to purchase any model in an Ultra or Pro Pack to have the digital depth/battery life indicator included.  That's a $50 add-on other wise.  Another feature I think I'd like is the low-power for shallower places, which I do fish regularly.  Do you guys like this, or have you just added the suppression cable to your FL-8 models? 

Thoughts?  Anyone looking to upgrade - PM me:~)

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:54 AM »
Had a look at them at the store this evening.  From what I saw, you need to purchase any model in an Ultra or Pro Pack to have the digital depth/battery life indicator included.  That's a $50 add-on other wise.  Another feature I think I'd like is the low-power for shallower places, which I do fish regularly.  Do you guys like this, or have you just added the suppression cable to your FL-8 models? 

Thoughts?  Anyone looking to upgrade - PM me:~)

The low power mode is the reason I got my FL18 ....I'm usually fishing in less than 10 feet of water its quite helpfull ...less clutter and saves on battery power. Plus the auto zoom mode is very useful (lets you see the bottom 6ft in a enhanced/zoomed view) The S-cable for the FL8 will cut the power in half  and do the same job....if you use the search fuction on this site you'll find tons of information. Also check the For sale board on the site as well . Check the MSRP of the unit you really want and if you see it for 20% less or more (new unit) I'd jump on the deal ...if you wait their usaully are gone baby gone  . Also Vexilar sells reconditioned units at a discount ..... Happy hunting

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:19 AM »
I have went from a FL18>FL22HD>FLX28. By far I LOVE the display and color options on the FLX28. Not to mention there are MANY other nice features on the 28. Just my 2 cents.
WiMeatHunter

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2014, 03:12 PM »
Another question  :P - it appears that the low power mode on the FL-12 model (on up thru the models) is automatic if you use the 20' max depth range.  On the FL-8 you need to add the Suppression cable.  Is there ever an instance where you don't want to suppress the power in low water?  However, is the low power model on the FL-12+ negated if I turn up the gain anyways, making it essentially an FL-8 without the S-cable?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:20 AM »
my fl20 has a separate low power setting for shallow water or weedy areas.then 20ft scale on up.in shallow water I still use the 20 ft. setting instead of low power mode unless the screen has a bunch of clutter then I would use low power mode.

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:43 AM »
my fl20 has a separate low power setting for shallow water or weedy areas.then 20ft scale on up.in shallow water I still use the 20 ft. setting instead of low power mode unless the screen has a bunch of clutter then I would use low power mode.

Thanks - misunderstood what I saw then.  Good to hear you don't have to use low-power mode.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:44 AM »
I have went from a FL18>FL22HD>FLX28. By far I LOVE the display and color options on the FLX28. Not to mention there are MANY other nice features on the 28. Just my 2 cents.

be careful with the 28 ....  my understanding is it is only for shallow water??
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2014, 02:20 PM »
be careful with the 28 ....  my understanding is it is only for shallow water??

28 is up to 300feet.  You may be confusing it with the 22hd which if memory serves me was maxed at 60 foot.

Offline waterwalker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2014, 04:54 PM »
upgraded this year from my 20 yr old fl8 to the fl18 and found the brighter screen better but still needed to be in shade so I took the flat black coffee can that I had on my old unit and put it on the new one.  I would consider it a cheap addition to the fl18 that you can't do with the flat face models.  Shallow water mode worked good in under 15 ft depths.  over 15 ft depths I really liked the zoom feature as I mostly fish the bottom 6 ft. anyway.  I think the digital stuff is basically whistles and bells and won't help in catching fish. battery life was also never an issue.

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2014, 06:31 AM »
28 is up to 300feet.  You may be confusing it with the 22hd which if memory serves me was maxed at 60 foot.

yes .....   i was absolutely confused  :o   .....    i knew one of the newer ones had depth limitations
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 05, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Have seen three fl 20's with the flat screen cracked this winter. I like the Fl 18. You are not going to crack it. Get the mag shield and snow and rain are not a worry. As for sun I use and old coffee can. It slides right over the shroud. Paint it black. But hey why spend money when some things are basically free.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #18 on: Apr 05, 2014, 03:29 PM »
the 22 is a discontinued unit. the line up now goes 8-12-18-20-28, The 12 is basically a flat screen 8 with a built in low power mode and the 20 is a flat screen 18. The 28 is in a league all its own

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Apr 08, 2014, 06:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Think my hard water fishing might be done for the year, so I'll keep my eyes peeled over the summer.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2014, 10:06 AM »
i just wish vex would make all the screen as big as a humminbird. Not that i like humminbird at all......i have a fl18. I also have a 35 bird.

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Apr 11, 2014, 09:11 AM »
i just wish vex would make all the screen as big as a humminbird. Not that i like humminbird at all......i have a fl18. I also have a 35 bird.

So you don't like the Hummingbird.  Have also been looking at the ICE55 lately as well.  It looks to be a bit more complicated (buttons-wise), but it has some nice features as well.

Thoughts on that compared to an FL18 or FL20?

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Apr 18, 2014, 07:25 AM »
I have a fl18 and 20, also 2 marcums lx3tc's, I would not by a flasher without a hooded screen, they are just to hard to see outside, and now I wouldn't buy anything other than a made in Japan Vexilar!
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Apr 19, 2014, 07:04 PM »
I have a fl18 and 20, also 2 marcums lx3tc's, I would not by a flasher without a hooded screen, they are just to hard to see outside, and now I wouldn't buy anything other than a made in Japan Vexilar!

So you like the FL18 better than the FL20 then?

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Apr 20, 2014, 08:34 AM »
So you like the FL18 better than the FL20 then?
Yep you can see the display outside, inside the tent the fl20 is great, but outside its very hard to see.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline buckslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Apr 21, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Anyone know if the Hummingbird ICE55's have the same issue without the shield?

Offline Svengalli

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Apr 21, 2014, 02:17 PM »
Anyone know if the Hummingbird ICE55's have the same issue without the shield?

They're bright enough and the dial is large enough that I don't have any problems. My dad's fl20 can be a little hard to see in the sunlight but he fixes that with piece of plastic used as a shade (like the brim of a hat).  The good thing about that is the brim allows him to see the dial when standing at an angle to the flasher (checking a dead stick, grabbing a cup a coffee, etc.). 

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2014, 06:58 AM »
I have the 20 last couple years with flat screen and really liked the flat screen, is a little tough if outta of the hut in direct sunlight.   but was great with dual angle and low power. it was nice just to be able to wipe the screen to clean . colors not quite a bright as my older 8 but still done a great job.  got the 28 now and 22 for backup,, really like the 28 with the auto drop in the hole mode and digital readout...   28 seems to be great in the deeper water..and marks are really crisp.   goodluck to all and c,mon ice   
youngster

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 01, 2014, 08:07 AM »
I have the fl-8 pro pack. Really like this unit. When I upgrade, it will be the fl-18 pro pack or ultra pack. I prefer the face on these two particular units. I'm just used to it. The pro pack is very convenient.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.