Author Topic: Winny  (Read 2690 times)

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • addicted to bass fishing
Winny
« on: Mar 31, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Hey guys im driving to winny tommorrow AM.... has anyone been there lately? i know there is ice judging by the fact i was fishing hard water mid april last year... just wanna know because im headed up alone and just wanna know how much ice there is.

thanks
Bass fishing is #1

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Winny
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2014, 11:56 AM »
The last time I was there there was close to 3 feet of ice.
The main body of ice will still be over 2 foot thick, but the edges will be the first to go, so if you do venture out, BE CAREFUL!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline 68 TROUT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2014, 02:43 PM »
frenchy ............
I have friends in Moultonboro and as of this past Sunday, there was 2 1/2' of ice....
BUT...It is going fast and even now, a plank will not help, depending where !!!!
I suggest, if you know exactly where you are going,
you should use the Ice Shanty Site, go to New Hampshire, and ask a local.....
They are very nice & helpful !!!! Please do not do something stupid................ .......
Be safe Brother............... ...................... .....
Be Safe-Tight Lines

JBO112394

« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2014, 03:58 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think he was talking about Winchester. Winnipesaukee in NH is closes to ice fishing on April 1.

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2014, 04:11 PM »
SORRY guys..... I meant lake winchester. I went today// ill be there thursday again but i think thats it... edges are done, you have to walk into the woods to get on, 10-12 inches today. pickerel and bass. all released, line snapped twice.

tight lines !
Bass fishing is #1

JBO112394

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Were you fishing in the stump section of the lake?

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2014, 06:48 PM »
No i was trying a neew spot, to the left of the boat launch at the mouth of a small cove that goes pretty seep onto the woods.. probably 8-12 feet of water
Bass fishing is #1

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2014, 06:11 AM »
going out right now.
Bass fishing is #1

Offline Penn920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2014, 03:12 PM »
How much is out there frenchy?

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Went out today got perch, pike, and pickerel.... windiest day ive ever seen out there.

8-10 inches. I'll be back out at least once this weekend. Dont usually keep fish but i had to keep a perch because the hook was in its gills pretty bad, what was weird is that its organs were being pushed thru its gills because it had so many eggs... Just finished eating it haha.

Have to get on by the left of the boat launch, I cleared out a little trail to get on the ice. Edges in the shade are still 100% and have snow pack on them. Highland is done for the year. THis weekend is the last of ice fishing in CT. I'd go to winny If i were you.. Hopefully no winchester locals get mad at me.. But i go there a lot when the rest of the state isnt good, im from granby so not that far away.
Bass fishing is #1

Offline Penn920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2014, 02:46 PM »
Lol at the winchester locals I've fished there all of march I through in the towel though taking the long walk back from the stumps skunked every weekend made me quit  ::), id rather take a month long skunking at Bantam because I dont have to walk as far. Good luck this weekend

Offline ESOX FIX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Lol at the winchester locals I've fished there all of march I through in the towel though taking the long walk back from the stumps skunked every weekend made me quit  ::), id rather take a month long skunking at Bantam because I dont have to walk as far. Good luck this weekend
ah, good old Winchester, takes a lot longer than a month ;D getting dangerous out there and is over for me.

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:50 PM »
Lol, I have never gotten skunked at winny!! Dont fish the stumps, just because it looks good doesnt mean its good. Tomorrow will be my last day of the ice fishing season
Bass fishing is #1

Offline Penn920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Lol, I have never gotten skunked at winny!! Dont fish the stumps, just because it looks good doesnt mean its good. Tomorrow will be my last day of the ice fishing season

Go get em frenchy

Lol at you sir!  Trust me when I say the guys that know the lake are not complaining!  Unfortunately for me I am not one of them!

During the week there is a different story even Winch let me catch a pike once  :o but I've seen one very nice pike caught early march but other than that just trophy fish of another species during my weekends out there.. 

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2014, 11:37 AM »
small pickerel today by me... my dad and his friend got skunked. ICE FISHING IN CT IS DONE.... there was 3-5 inches.... When i went Tuesday there was a foot.... there was 4 inches of water/slush over the crappy honey comb ice. I've never ice fished with an ice shanty member hopefully next year I can.

I honestly think I was the last person in CT to hardwater fish this year lol

Time to fish some open water behind my house today. Was a good year boys....
Bass fishing is #1

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Apr 07, 2014, 08:50 AM »
I wonder who the guy that went in Winchester  yesterday is?   Good think he knows how to use picks.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Apr 07, 2014, 09:46 AM »
I'm the one that went thu winch yesterday and picks don't work on late honeycomb I tryed for 10min to get out with them but the ice just broke everytime I tryed to jam the picks in to the ice I had to take off my ice suit overalls that I had on. I believe getting them off saved my life yesterday and after I got them off I was able to get one pick to hold and got my leg out and then I shimmyed on my chest 50ft before I stopped feeling the ice sag got on my feet and ran off the ice. My fingertips are still numb and tingling. The ice was 5-8in where I went in and about 8fow. I had someone watching over me yesterday. The most Important thing to do when u go swimming tru ice is keep calm and fight so you can make it home and see your loved ones I came really close to checking out yesterday please stay off late ice a fish is not worth your life !!!!!!!! I had to find out the hard way
Go big or go home

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 07, 2014, 10:13 AM »
Scary story Ed, glad you're OK.

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Apr 07, 2014, 11:45 AM »
Whow!!!! Really scary stuff!!
Just goes to show you that late ice is never safe...even at 5-8 inches!!!!
So glad you stayed calm and finally made it out OK.
YOU are truly blessed my friend...
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 07, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Glad you're ok.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Apr 07, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Thanks guys I was freaking out for the first few mins it was not until I stopped freaking out and started deep breaths I was able to start thinking clear and I told myself I'm not dieing in this lake and I'm making it home to my kids and girlfriend and that's when i felt the weight of my pants and overalls dragging me under and I took them off. They prob added another 100+ lbs to my 280. It's not easy to calm down in that hole but its something you have to do to stay alive.

Ps - if anyone wants 6 tipups when the ice melts go to the first cove on the left of the lake from the ramp and you can prob find them in that cold clear water there are 3 greenish/yellow and 3 hunter orange polars in there I don't even want them back if anyone finds them happy hunting boys
Go big or go home

Offline 68 TROUT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Apr 07, 2014, 03:17 PM »
pikemanEd .........
Thank God you are safe !!!
I have stated that March(April) ice is un predicable, not preaching, just warning, to be careful.
You are living proof to that...
I went through 8" of ice, 9' of water, with a Cabala's one piece cold weather suit on.
NO PICKS, just plain luck saved my butt !!!
A fireman/EMT guy just walked past me and was going out on less sure ice than what I was on.
I had a rope and he and my buddy pulled me to safety...........
As I am reading this, I am setting up my shotgun for Turkey....I thank God I am here to do this......
Once again, glad you made it and PLEASE stay safe !!!...and preach to all about March/April Ice !!!
Be Safe-Tight Lines

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #22 on: Apr 07, 2014, 09:16 PM »
Very scary Ed,thank God your ok. I was a  with guy today that does ice and ocean rescue and he said the same thing...that the people that dont stay calm and panic are the ones that dont make it.

Offline hippiemick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Apr 07, 2014, 10:47 PM »
Wow Ed glad you made it out , very scary .

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Apr 08, 2014, 05:26 AM »
glad your ok Ed.

Offline hippiemick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Apr 08, 2014, 02:35 PM »

I SAID ON SATURDAY THAT WAS THE LAST DAY OF THE YEAR....... NEXT TIME READ THE THREAD BEFORE YOU GO OUT. GLAD YOU'RE OK BUT REALLY??? There as 3 inches out there in APril, what the heck were you expecting on a warm day?..
No one likes a " i told you so know it all " Ed's been on the ice many years , yes he pushed it a little too far this time , he knows his error , no reason to beat up on him . Point is condition can and will change very rapidly as the ice starts to go , act accordingly with safety gear and a plan should the worst happen .

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Apr 08, 2014, 02:45 PM »
Thanks mick I deff pushed it a little to far this time and I'm going to be getting them floating bibs from rich when I get the $ they would have helped a lot getting out and to frenchy I was Not in the same spot as you were and there was 5-8 where I was that was solid in the am up till 12pm I went in at 2pm should have left at 12 but decided to push it
Go big or go home

Offline frenchy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Apr 08, 2014, 06:08 PM »
Well, my comments deleted it seems.. The reason I said "the ice isn't good anymore" was for that reason specifically... Didnt want anything bad to happen.... If i go to winny during spring and find your tip ups i'd be glad to give em to u.

I was drilling holes the whole shoreline and there wasnt 8 inches anywhere lol. Unless more froze overnight which is possible because on saturday there was 3-4 inches of slush/water on top of 3inches of ice
Bass fishing is #1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.