Author Topic: Ice fisherman missing!  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Broken_Lines

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice fisherman missing!
« on: Mar 31, 2014, 03:09 PM »
http://journalgazette.net/article/20140331/LOCAL07/140339885

Mud lake in Noble county. Prayers for the family, doesn't sound like a promising outlook.
"Coulda gone fishin', rather be huntin'... I live in my own mind."

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
Re: Ice fisherman missing!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Not good for sure.  Looks like they have updated the story and they have recovered the body.  Prayers to his family.  It baffles the mind why people go alone, after dark this time of year.  What a shame.   :( :( :( :(

Offline DannyBoy74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Very unfortunate to read about this. May the arms of god hold his family tight.

Offline Stinkybaits

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Wow that's nuts! Sad indeed :( The night trip by yourself is a bit odd this time of year. It's odd anytime of the year!

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2014, 10:00 PM »
I pray the family is doing ok!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Man that is sad to hear! I still am not sure why somebody would venture on to mudd by them self at night, especially last ice?? That little lake is in the middle of a woods, nobody would ever see or hear you. Prayers go out to the family.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Apr 01, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Sorry to report - and not trying to hijack the thread - but a man in the New Pal area (Hancock County east of Indy) was found last night and died while ice fishing.  We had a pretty good year with only one report on here about an ice fisherman dying. Now two in just a couple of days.  Sympathies to the families in all cases.

Be careful out there. As said here many times, no fish is worth your life.  Open water will be here for all soon enough.

Offline Redneck Fishfinder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2014, 08:28 AM »
It seems to be that at the end of the season honeycomb ice gets people- have to be careful once the warm weather starts to set in. It said that guy went through 8 inches of ice... that could have happened to any of us.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2014, 09:27 AM »
It's amazing how quickly ice goes once it gets started.

My four ponds are ice free except for small stubborn piece about 15 by 6 feet.  Once there is an opening the wind really wrecks havoc on it.

This was this morning. Keep in mind the ponds were completely ice covered just a couple of days ago.

I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Apr 01, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Sorry to report - and not trying to hijack the thread - but a man in the New Pal area (Hancock County east of Indy) was found last night and died while ice fishing.  We had a pretty good year with only one report on here about an ice fisherman dying. Now two in just a couple of days.  Sympathies to the families in all cases.

Be careful out there. As said here many times, no fish is worth your life.  Open water will be here for all soon enough.

Boomer, I read that also, but I don't think he was ice fishing in Hancock County. I took it he was open water fishing from the bank and they found him un-responsive in the water?? That's how I took it anyway.
Either way very bad/sad for all families involved. Open water temps are still cold enough to send anyone into hypothermia/cardiac arrest, this time of year.
Paul

Offline Boomer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Paul, thanks for clarifying that. Last night when I heard this I too was surprised. Still, as you said, we need to be careful with open water too.

To all,  have a safe year. Love to meet you on the water, not at a funeral.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.