Author Topic: o/t fly fishing rig  (Read 2700 times)

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
o/t fly fishing rig
« on: Mar 31, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I know we still have 20+ inches of ice. But I'm looking to get  a fly fishing rod/reel ( no fly experience). I have been doing some reading about fly fishing all winter and want to give it a try this spring. I would like to fish rainbow , brookies,browns , maybe if lucky enough a land lock salmon. Would a 9' 6wt suit my needs? Or a 9' 5wt?  Currently looking at the st Croix avid in those 2 sizes with a orvis mid arbor reel. Any advice would be great. Also fly line recommendation ? Man that stuff is pricey I would like to get the right kind .

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: o/t fly fishing rig
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2014, 10:26 AM »
You may want to start at a lower price point and then work up in price and quality. Fly tackle is a world unto it self and can be confusing at the start. My 2 cents - buy a package from LL Bean, BPS, or Cabela's.  Talk to friends who are fly guys - they'll put you onto the right track.

Offline NH_RED

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2014, 10:27 AM »
KTP has some excellent entry level kits that are dam good! So much so that the one I bought my son i use more often than not if he is not with me. Made by reddington. For under $150 hard to beat.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2014, 10:35 AM »
A few questions that would be helpful; Do you plan on fishing small streams or more open water? Long rod = open water, Shorter rod= streams. Do you plan on fishing for bass at any time? You might find a 5wt to be plenty of rod... Here is the way I think you should look at were to put your money; 1st Line, you can over come a border line rod, but it is very hard to cast (well) junk line. 2nd rod, All but the cheapest junk rods are pretty good these day and with practice will cast a good line very well. 3rd Go cheap on the reel, for most freshwater around here a cheap reel will work great for you.

The other thing that I would strongly suggest is hire a good casting instructor!  No matter how good your "Buddy" might be at casting, that does not make them a good instructor... You may find a hour is all you need to keep you from starting bad habits that will limit your casting in the future...

Offline filetofish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2014, 10:41 AM »
The last time I was at Cabela's they had some good prices on entry level combos. I personally wouldn't spend more than 150.00 to start out. If you plan on fishing streams figure in some warm waders and some GOOD felt bottom boots also. As for line it depends on your fishing. For your first rod and reel I would say the heavier the weight the less snapping off leaders which can and will happen often as you learn to cast. A 5wt is great but isn't very diverse in my opinion. Just my 2 cents!!!!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2014, 11:09 AM »
On the felt soled boots, how much longer do you think they will be allowed in NH?
Many states have gone to rubber soled only, to help prevent the spread of rock snot etc.
Regardless of the sole, I like studs.  :)

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2014, 12:07 PM »

The last time I was at Cabela's they had some good prices on entry level combos. I personally wouldn't spend more than 150.00 to start out. If you plan on fishing streams figure in some warm waders and some GOOD felt bottom boots also. As for line it depends on your fishing. For your first rod and reel I would say the heavier the weight the less snapping off leaders which can and will happen often as you learn to cast. A 5wt is great but isn't very diverse in my opinion. Just my 2 cents!!!!

So being a waterfowl hunter im all set on waders. I have 5mm neoprene and early season very light waders. They are all rubber sole so for now they will work.

A few questions that would be helpful; Do you plan on fishing small streams or more open water? Long rod = open water, Shorter rod= streams. Do you plan on fishing for bass at any time? You might find a 5wt to be plenty of rod... Here is the way I think you should look at were to put your money; 1st Line, you can over come a border line rod, but it is very hard to cast (well) junk line. 2nd rod, All but the cheapest junk rods are pretty good these day and with practice will cast a good line very well. 3rd Go cheap on the reel, for most freshwater around here a cheap reel will work great for you.

The other thing that I would strongly suggest is hire a good casting instructor!  No matter how good your "Buddy" might be at casting, that does not make them a good instructor... You may find a hour is all you need to keep you from starting bad habits that will limit your casting in the future...
I would mostly be fishing open water. But will not rule out streams. I have a 1 1/2 acre pond on  my property loaded with bass . So this is where I will learn to cast and bass will be the target fish (most fish in pond 2 1/2lbs or less).  Also  im really close to winni and see guys trolling with fly rods would a 5wt be OK for that?
Casting Instructor does not sound like a bad idea.

I have a few spin and casting rods from st. Croix and love them .  I understand a entry level fly combo might be a good choice but I've been down that road before and end up a month later kicking myself in the @ss, being out 150.-200. when for a hundo or so more you can get a decent rig that will last.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I am heading over to BPS and KTP tomorrow to check out the combos maybe that's what I will end up with.   

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2014, 12:14 PM »
I agree with most of the comments: don't go nuts on a Cadillac if a Jeep fits your needs and goals better; pay for some lessons, it's definitely money well spent, including a guide who will teach you pointers on reading a stream; and (in my opinion) definitely go studs over felt soles, even in wading shoes, they'll last longer, and are better for the habitat. There is a learning curve with them too, but it's not bad.

For your specific questions, I'd choose the 5 wt. with a fast action, it'll do almost anything you want except possibly horsing through lilypads for bass. I'd recommend getting a reel good enough to have an adjustable disc drag, it's so much easier to let the drag do the work than try to palm a good fish. On the line, I'd recommend going to a fly fishing shop and asking questions, there are so many choices and, you're right, prices all over the board. A weight forward floating line is a good all purpose line that can be used for all conditions except if you're in big water, trying to drag the bottom with the heaviest nymphs and streamers. As was said above, buy at least good quality, you don't need best yet.

Try it for a year or two, then, if you're hooked, consider tying your own flies, there's a whole different level of satisfaction in catching a fish on something you've created!!
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2014, 12:23 PM »

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I am heading over to BPS and KTP tomorrow to check out the combos maybe that's what I will end up with.   
On that note, the first question I'd ask the person in the store would be: "Are you a fly fisherman? Can you point out an employee who is?" otherwise, all you'll get is sales pitch!
  But good luck, it's an exciting way to fish once you learn the basics, then every trip out, you'll learn more.  ;)     :thumbsup:

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2014, 12:50 PM »
seeing that you have a practice pond with bass and its more important to learn how to cast, i wouldnt start with anything less than a 7 weight. its not the ideal trout rod but you can still cast streamers for trout and nymph fish with a strike indicator. the benefit is that the larger rods are easier to learn to cast, you can feel the rod loading and it helps with timing in the beginning, it will also cast the heavier bass flies. we all end up with a few rods, you can think ahead. good rod setups for various fishing are a 3 wt, 5 wt, 7 wt OR a 4 wt, 6 wt, 8 wt package. those combos will get you from light long tippets with small dryflies up to big heavey hair patterns for largemouth, the 8wt will get you into stripers or big largemouth

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2014, 12:52 PM »
On that note, the first question I'd ask the person in the store would be: "Are you a fly fisherman? Can you point out an employee who is?" otherwise, all you'll get is sales pitch!
  But good luck, it's an exciting way to fish once you learn the basics, then every trip out, you'll learn more.  ;)     :thumbsup:
Very good point! Most of them are just there for a paycheck and don't spend much time outdoors hunting or fishing. 

I think at some point I would love to tie my own fly's. I harvest many ducks a year and would love to use some duck or pheasant feathers to tie with.

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2014, 01:03 PM »
seeing that you have a practice pond with bass and its more important to learn how to cast, i wouldnt start with anything less than a 7 weight. its not the ideal trout rod but you can still cast streamers for trout and nymph fish with a strike indicator. the benefit is that the larger rods are easier to learn to cast, you can feel the rod loading and it helps with timing in the beginning, it will also cast the heavier bass flies. we all end up with a few rods, you can think ahead. good rod setups for various fishing are a 3 wt, 5 wt, 7 wt OR a 4 wt, 6 wt, 8 wt package. those combos will get you from light long tippets with small dryflies up to big heavey hair patterns for largemouth, the 8wt will get you into stripers or big largemouth
So what your saying is get ready to buy multiple rods? And just keep sneaking them in the house slowly over time so the wife doesn't catch on! Im a pro at that (no honey that's not a new gun we've had that one for 3 years ;D). I'm sure just like conventional fishing gear no one rod and real is good for every situation.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2014, 01:14 PM »
your going to need more than one ;D at the 130 dollar mark, temple fork rods are nearly as good as most 500 dollar plus rods, hard to beat in that price range. with the wts, 6 wt is the beginning of the bass tapers, 5 wts rods have less line choices in the market than when you step up a wt

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2014, 04:24 PM »
A 9 foot 6 weight is probably the most versatile rod out there.  It's what I started on, and I successfully fished for and caught fish on everything from dries to decent sized streamers with it.  From small streams to lake casting.  Obviously eventually, if you decide to go further into fly fishing, you will want to specialize a bit more.  But if I were you, I would start there.  Don't go too expensive.  Some of the kits out there are pretty good, though you can get your own for relatively cheap as well.  Look into the lower-end Temple Fork Outfitters.  They are good rods, and that company is known for honoring their no-fault warranty.

http://www.tforods.com/company/about-tfo.html

I'm not up-to-date on my fly reels these days, but Redington has always been a good, affordable choice for a beginner. 
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2014, 06:42 PM »
A 9 foot 6 weight is probably the most versatile rod out there.  It's what I started on, and I successfully fished for and caught fish on everything from dries to decent sized streamers with it.  From small streams to lake casting.  Obviously eventually, if you decide to go further into fly fishing, you will want to specialize a bit more.  But if I were you, I would start there.  Don't go too expensive.  Some of the kits out there are pretty good, though you can get your own for relatively cheap as well.  Look into the lower-end Temple Fork Outfitters.  They are good rods, and that company is known for honoring their no-fault warranty.

http://www.tforods.com/company/about-tfo.html

I'm not up-to-date on my fly reels these days, but Redington has always been a good, affordable choice for a beginner. 
Just looked at Temple Fork Outfitters . I didn't realize that Gary Looms is working  with them.  Must be  quality gear.

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2014, 05:41 AM »
I started with e 9' 6 wt rod. Best combination of control and (lack of) difficulty casting. Still use it today. Don't go for really expensive rods as your first one, until you actually learn to cast it won't make a difference.

The one I started with - and still use today frequently - is a White River one (I think) from Cabelas. Now I have quite a few fly rods (nothing really expensive) and I still use the Cabelas one a lot. Another affordable brand type I like a lot is Okuma SLV fly rods / reels.

Getting professional casting instruction is great - you can only learn so much from watching youtube videos. But the best way is to practice, once you have a few thousand casts under your belt, things will go much easier.

Also, for "normal" fish do NOT spend too much money on the reel. It is basically only line storage for even 4 lb bass.

Once you are comfortable with the longer 6wt (btw the difference between a 5wt and 6wt of the same length is negligible) a shorter 3wt is the next - most fun thing. Even fighting bluegills on a 3wt is great, they feel like 3 lb bass on that rod.
“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Apr 02, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Bass pro has the White River setups for pretty good prices. Just was shopping them the other day.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #17 on: Apr 02, 2014, 12:32 PM »
You can find nice outfits, but make sure the fly line is a good one...

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2014, 12:53 PM »
You can find nice outfits, but make sure the fly line is a good one...

x2    if i were setting up someone new that was really  going to get into  flyfishing it wouldnt  be a combo, it would be  with a temple fork  loaded with  a" rio grand" line just because the line weight is a half size heavier which makes it easier to feel the rod load for a beginner. i like the rio lines and the SA lines for floating weight forward lines in the midweights

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Are the 4 piece rods any good? Do they come apart while fishing/fighting a fish? I thought I wanted a 2 piece but I can get the tfo pro series 4pc for $75. I looked up a couple reviews and they seem like a decent rod.

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:08 PM »
Pulled the trigger on the tfo pro special 9ft 6wt 4 piece rod ($75 @ fishusa). If need be I will use a drop of epoxy and make it a 2 piece.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Are the 4 piece rods any good? Do they come apart while fishing/fighting a fish? I thought I wanted a 2 piece but I can get the tfo pro series 4pc for $75. I looked up a couple reviews and they seem like a decent rod.
I have a Bean Streamlight 4-piece, which I love, it's a good fast action rod, that's easy to stow and store with the small rod tube. I've never had an issue with it coming apart, it's more often a job to separate it.

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2014, 06:34 AM »
My 3 wt is a 4 piece one, got a nice holder for it and it is in the car pretty much non-stop from April till November. Very conveniently available any time I am near water. Never had issues with having 2 extra pieces.

Congrats on the new rod - you have now started down on a very addictive and fun path!

If you need inexpensive but good quality flies (you will need a LOT  ;) ) I would recommend Big Y Fly Co.

“There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” - Steven Wright

Offline DU4LIFE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Apr 03, 2014, 03:06 PM »
My 3 wt is a 4 piece one, got a nice holder for it and it is in the car pretty much non-stop from April till November. Very conveniently available any time I am near water. Never had issues with having 2 extra pieces.

Congrats on the new rod - you have now started down on a very addictive and fun path!

If you need inexpensive but good quality flies (you will need a LOT  ;) ) I would recommend Big Y Fly Co.

Any flies that are a must have for the area?

Made it down to kittery today. Ended up at the orvis outlet looking for the Clearwater reel size 3. They only had a size 2 in the Clearwater so I ended up walking out with the Access 3 for $90. ;D. They only had 1 so I grabbed it . So for $165. I think I got a nice combo to start off with.  I also purchased some Orvis WF6 Clearwater fly line. I was told it is good line for a beginner. 

Well of course I couldn't go to Kittery and not go to KTP ;D.  Got the backing put on the reel and grabbed some 5x & 6x fluoro leader. Guys in the fishing dept. were less than helpful , but I did run into a couple guys that were also at Orvis 5min prior looking at fly gear. Those two guys were very helpful  at both stores actually.

Thank you all for your help. PM me if you want to fish a bass pond and give a couple casting lessons

Offline GraniteBass

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Apr 03, 2014, 06:28 PM »
I am actually afraid that I will jinx myself for the coming season but if I had to fish with 1 fly for the rest of my life it would be the bead headed prince nymph.

That being said, part of the fun of fly fishing is trying to find what the fish would be willing to bite on.

General (and sometimes useless  ;) ) advise - "match the hatch".

On fly patterns that work I would highly recommend books by Dave Hughes - you will learn a LOT about insects and artificial flies. I am right now holding his "Essential Trout Flies" book in my hand - great book.

Shameless plug : here is a topic about some fly fishing and specific flies I used this past summer on the Connecticut River in Pittsburg - which for me is hard fishing because of the pressure:

http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=61178.msg636200#msg636200

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Apr 04, 2014, 02:58 AM »
I'd go for 3 wt.  Save your wrists for next winter.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Apr 04, 2014, 06:29 AM »
Any flies that are a must have for the area?

For streams, I'd definitely have a few Elk hair caddis, Red quill, Adams or Hendrickson for dry's, in several sizes. Hare's ear, pheasant tail, Prince, and Copper John in nymphs, I tend to do best with Tungsten beadheads, especially in bigger waters, as I fish almost exclusively with Floating line. Best to talk to someone familiar with the waters and times you target, as it's always changing
Also woolly buggers and stimulators

Offline whitewing

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Apr 04, 2014, 07:14 AM »
Always remember that fly fishing is no different than any other type of fishing - you can never have too much equipment! Good Luck, always have a hornburg handy.

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:00 AM »
i wouldnt glue it into a 2 piece. are you having problems with rods falling apart. when you put them together line the eyes 90 degrees off and then line them up after you start getting resistance when putting them together, they lock tighter than just pushing the ferrules together if your turning them also.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #29 on: Apr 04, 2014, 12:03 PM »
My go to flie is a Woolly Bomber, but in the end it is most often about; PRESENTATION, PRESENTATION, PRESENTATION...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.