The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice shack carnage!!  (Read 12499 times)

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
Ice shack carnage!!
« on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:06 AM »
Seen two destroyed on plmouth pond trying to get them off the pond! One made it to shore in pieces, one looks like it may burn where it sets! ;D
Is it ice time yet???

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
Re: Ice shack carnage!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:28 AM »
Thanks to that stupid law of April first. Should be June first then you can float them off and the frost heaves are mostly gone.
Steve

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Build them on floats register them as a boat. put out a good anchor.

Offline polarbear86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Was on Sebago last night came home with a truck load of 2x4 all about new warm weather loosens up everyone's old cribbing lol  can almost build a new shack
A bad day fishing is better than any day working

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #4 on: Mar 30, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Build them on floats register them as a boat. put out a good anchor.

Heck, just build em on a flat bottom boat with watertight hatches you can remove to jig through. Get snopro’s design for the interior and you’ll have an all season craft and floating camp!
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:00 PM »
Thanks to that stupid law of April first. Should be June first then you can float them off and the frost heaves are mostly gone.
Its not the stupid law, its the stupid people that don't take care of them during the year!!  Some states make them come off alot earlier! I think minnisota is one of them. like first or second week of march.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:05 PM »
March 15th here...   ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:32 PM »
I stand corrected Snopro, you are right. I bet there was a time when you could leave your shack until you could get it off easier, but because of people being what they are ruined it for everyone. I remember one year when the frost left the road early and when it came time to get ht e shacks off they dragged their shack up the road making a 1 1/2 of mud. The next year the road was closed off. Pretty quick there will be a law no shacks on lakes because of people burning them. Even worst, the state will make us register the shack for a fee so that they can track them.
Steve

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:49 PM »
Its not the stupid law, its the stupid people that don't take care of them during the year!!  Some states make them come off alot earlier! I think minnisota is one of them. like first or second week of march.

Inland Waters
Dates of removal are determined by an eastwest line formed by U.S. Hwy. 10, east along Hwy. 34 to Minnesota Hwy. 200, east along Hwy. 200 to U.S. Hwy. 2, and east along Hwy. 2 to the Minnesota-Wisconsin border.

South of line - March 3, 2014
North of line - March 17, 2014

...And we still have 25'' of ice up north...
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Fast jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:52 PM »
I would be all for Shack registration  , I had to cut up  one abamdoned   shack  for disposal 3 years ago, and now there is an abandoned shack out front, on Perch Point on Mousam Lake. I talked to the warden about the problem and they just as pizzed off as I am   how about we  Pay $5 dollars for a sticker- if no sticker the wardens can have the shack pulled at the owners expense. I ll become a shack puller and make $ 500 a wack cleaning up these" Sportsmens "mess

Offline polarbear86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Pay $5 dollars for a sticker- if no sticker the wardens can have the shack pulled at the owners expense. I ll become a shack puller and make $ 500 a wack cleaning up these" Sportsmens "mess
[/quote]

Not a bad idea I was picking up crap off Sebago all day yesterday. I can see one problem with sticker people will steel them they would need to serial  number them to the owners fishing license or something. 
A bad day fishing is better than any day working

Offline MadFisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Wish this was work....
« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2014, 02:06 PM »
I second that idea.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:17 PM »
I would be all for Shack registration  , I had to cut up  one abamdoned   shack  for disposal 3 years ago, and now there is an abandoned shack out front, on Perch Point on Mousam Lake. I talked to the warden about the problem and they just as pizzed off as I am   how about we  Pay $5 dollars for a sticker- if no sticker the wardens can have the shack pulled at the owners expense. I ll become a shack puller and make $ 500 a wack cleaning up these" Sportsmens "mess

I would lobby my legislator to fight against shack registration. We give enough money and control to the state. They need to be defunded and shrunk by 40%, maybe more.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:41 PM »
We don't need to pay anymore fees! They have our names and adresses now. If they do there jobs, the slobs will get a ticket. ;)
Is it ice time yet???

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2014, 04:57 PM »
I would lobby my legislator to fight against shack registration. We give enough money and control to the state. They need to be defunded and shrunk by 40%, maybe more.
I don't know; as much as I hate government oversight with all it's bureaucracy and financial pitfalls and graft, I wouldn't be opposed to this, if it could be structured to limit abuse. A $5 (or even 10) numbered AND PHOTOGRAPHED tag would give IFW a much easier way to hold the abusers accountable. With a fine and recovery schedule in place, you could probably even get local volunteers to help police the ice starting , say, March 15; allowing volunteers time to locate and identify abandoned appearing shacks, contact the owners, and charge a reasonable fee, and/or salvage the shacks for resale or destruction. I realize most abandoned shacks would be exactly that, but at least there would be some recompense for the person taking the initiative to remove them. Also, have in the regulation a provision allowing for emergency 48 hour(?) grace period if weather or transportation prevent owners from removing by the deadline, possibly with a fee required to limit it's abuse

BUT I STILL HATE GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT!!! :callcops:

But, Snopro, they DON"T have our info if they don't have a list of the shacks on the ice, and the only way there will be a list, is if we pay someone to compile it  ??? :(
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:07 PM »
I don't know; as much as I hate government oversight with all it's bureaucracy and financial pitfalls and graft, I wouldn't be opposed to this, if it could be structured to limit abuse. A $5 (or even 10) numbered AND PHOTOGRAPHED tag would give IFW a much easier way to hold the abusers accountable. With a fine and recovery schedule in place, you could probably even get local volunteers to help police the ice starting , say, March 15; allowing volunteers time to locate and identify abandoned appearing shacks, contact the owners, and charge a reasonable fee, and/or salvage the shacks for resale or destruction. I realize most abandoned shacks would be exactly that, but at least there would be some recompense for the person taking the initiative to remove them. Also, have in the regulation a provision allowing for emergency 48 hour(?) grace period if weather or transportation prevent owners from removing by the deadline, possibly with a fee required to limit it's abuse

BUT I STILL HATE GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT!!! :callcops:

But, Snopro, they DON"T have our info if they don't have a list of the shacks on the ice, and the only way there will be a list, is if we pay someone to compile it  ??? :(
Well by law here you need name and adress on your shack! Isn't that info enough????????????????
Is it ice time yet???

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Well by law here you need name and adress on your shack! Isn't that info enough?????????????????
Yes, that is enough info. It is no more difficult for a warden to get the information from a legally labeled shack than it would be for the warden to get the same info from a state issued sticker. He still has to walk or drive to the shack to read the name or other info.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:23 PM »
I stand corrected Snopro, you are right. I bet there was a time when you could leave your shack until you could get it off easier, but because of people being what they are ruined it for everyone. I remember one year when the frost left the road early and when it came time to get ht e shacks off they dragged their shack up the road making a 1 1/2 of mud. The next year the road was closed off. Pretty quick there will be a law no shacks on lakes because of people burning them. Even worst, the state will make us register the shack for a fee so that they can track them.
You're correct. There was a time when you could leave your shack on the ice later. For every law on the books there was a time before that law was passed.

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Well by law here you need name and adress on your shack! Isn't that info enough?????????????????
Same here, my point was that if there was a photo database, shacks with no info could still be identified. I've heard stories for years of the guys who just remove the ID because it's too inconvenient to remove the shack, not even bothering to burn it down (which I also think should be illegal, with all the toxic stuff used to build shacks today: whatever doesn't oxidize to pollute the air, enters the waters we're already polluting too much).

Sorry if this is turning into a rant, apparently it's 'Environmentalist Sunday' for me!!
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline gradysjeep

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 30, 2014, 05:46 PM »
Well by law here you need name and adress on your shack! Isn't that info enough????????????????

X2 Shack registration, more fees on outdoorsman! :cookoo: :%$#!:[

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Seems to me one of the easiest laws not to break would be the April 1st take your shack off.  Watch the weather, pick the best, and yank.  But then again, I give most too much credit I guess.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Fast jack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:09 PM »
Both the shacks I mentioned  before had the names of the owners removed as well as any thing of value before they were abandoned . We have to pay a fee to dump construction materials at our transfer station. I dont want to be the one to pay for another mess - I will help the owner clean it up -no questions asked .. I  posted here a month ago asking for help in finding the owner of the 8x8 red Shack with one window @ perch point on Mousam lake -hundreds of members looked at the post  but no one responded with the owners name.  I am one of a few year round residents near the point and when the summer folks come back I get the static for everything from dead skunks to poor roads !!  I dont need another Ice shack horror story . People wonder why we loose lake access???

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:11 PM »
HMMMM. I wouldn’t mind a registration fee, on the face of it. BUT is this a solution looking for a problem (like voter fraud legislation for literally 4 or five actual cases)? I’m OK with tags and paid registry, but don’t believe it’s necessary. If there was a registry, it would need to be paid. The biggest thing, to me, is the impression in perception slobs leave on the ice that makes the other 99% of us look bad, plus the fact of the poopy they leave on the ice, makin git look like we’re all slobs. Maybe a requirement there be a more standardized permanent mandatory marking protocol on the “shack”.  I seem to have come back to a registration……OR, …. “ owner name, address and phone # shall be permanently affixed to any structure intended for multiple day use on a frozen body of water. ….. Any such structure left on the ice after 1 april (or reasonable date)  is subject to a fine no  less than $1000…… “  ;D
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Both the shacks I mentioned  before had the names of the owners removed as well as any thing of value before they were abandoned . We have to pay a fee to dump construction materials at our transfer station. I dont want to be the one to pay for another mess - I will help the owner clean it up -no questions asked .. I  posted here a month ago asking for help in finding the owner of the 8x8 red Shack with one window @ perch point on Mousam lake -hundreds of members looked at the post  but no one responded with the owners name.  I am one of a few year round residents near the point and when the summer folks come back I get the static for everything from dead skunks to poor roads !!  I dont need another Ice shack horror story . People wonder why we loose lake access???
If the local warden was doing his job he should have a log with pictures of the shacks and names!  A certian state of maine dot weigh cop, i know can tell you when,where,what he stopped you for, how you acted and so on! He keeps a log of everything!
Is it ice time yet???

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Shack owners should be as responsible as a boat owner. When a storm comes boat owners pull out there boats. Young owners and people who live away from the lake  should be responsible and have plans in place to take them off when necessary. No need for more laws or fees because of a   irresponsible few.  We all need to  keep an eye out for a few problems and help when we can.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Cameras and GPS records would make things simple.

Offline ptownrowdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Less Romance, More Science"
« Reply #26 on: Mar 30, 2014, 07:03 PM »
I kept my shack small (4x8) and easy to move.  It usually comes off the lake the first week in March.  Abandoning a shack is disgusting behavior.
Hardwater Adventures

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Another registration fee... WOW. Whipped into submission much!?  :whistle:
    There is a law on the books in Maine protecting the placement of shacks w/o fees. But that is a fav. pastime of the white shoe boys, to rewrite and change the rules in the middle of the game, anything is possible! lol!
        I wouldn't be opposed to a fee... but lets look at what it would take to be on the lake...

-Fishing license $
-Trailer Reg.  $
- ATV/ snowmobile reg $
- ice shack fee.. $
   interesting... the state has eaten up a large portion of funds prior to a sportsman and their  family spending anything at local businesses for food, bait, gas.

they love fees, and paying themselves to crunch numbers about anything , so by all means, it will surely fix everything  ::)

If anyone in the MDI area is having trouble removing their shack due to  legitimate health or mechanical troubles, contact me here and I will help in any way I can. 

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2014, 08:28 PM »
Thought that would get your attention, but that would be the state's answer. I don't even see why we need a print out of our license now in this computer age. A driver's license should have all the info the warden needs to know if we have a license or not. I found one of my first lobster license that was issued in 1966 and all it had on it was my weight, complexion and when issued. Now you need to keep a file before you get one. Government is not the answer, being responsible for ones action is. China and Russia will straighten things out when they get complete control of us.   
Steve

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 31, 2014, 05:26 AM »
If people didn't leave their crap on the ice every spring we wouldn't be talking about this at all.  I bet a lot of issues wouldn't be there if just a little common sense was used.
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.