Author Topic: Last Days of Ice Fishing!  (Read 723 times)

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Last Days of Ice Fishing!
« on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:12 PM »
It seems that the last of the cold days are behind us and soon the ice will be too. Is anyone still ice fishing? If you are where are you fishing and how many more weekends do you plan on going? What is the point that you decide that the conditions are just too questionable and throw in the towel? I want to go a couple more times but am too new to Ice Fishing and want to error on the side of caution, that way I will have many more seasons to enjoy.

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Last Days of Ice Fishing!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:07 PM »
I'm heading out of Longmont about 5 am tomorrow for a day at N. Delaney and then maybe to Lake John.  Plan on fishing really shallow (6') so I can watch the bite.  There is still plenty of ice there, according to Bill at Lake John Resort, but apparently mud can be a problem on the roads, so I'll be driving cautiously.  If all goes well, I'll go back again next week.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline CavScout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:13 PM »
I was out at 11 mile last weekend and there was still pleanty of ice where I was fishing. THere was over 20+ inches where I was. The edges were starting to get a little soft though with some open pockets on the shoreline. I think that the days are numbered. I will be out there tommorrow and am planning that it will be my last trip of the season. Once upon a time I used to span a 10 ft board over open water to get access on the ice to fish, but I feel that those days are more or less behind me. 
US Army Cavalry Scout 2007-Present 

"The Only Thing Necessary for the Triumph of Evil is that Good Men Do Nothing"-Edmund Burke

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:25 PM »
    Just got back from N. Delaney.  Sight fished all day long in 8' of water just off the south boat ramp.  Great water clarity.  Hooked four nice ones, but only landed one (14"), and had one thick bow that was at least 24" break off in the hole after I got his head out of the water - aaaaaahhgghhh!.  Brownish crawfish imitations worked best.

The place was really busy.  At least 10 trucks in the parking lot.  I needed chains to get out mid-afternoon when the ground thawed out and produced a quagmire for my 2WD pickup (I know, I know - getting 4WD in the next few weeks).  Many thanks to the nice gentleman who helped me put the chains on.  Bill warned me about the roads, so nobody to blame but me.  Still at least 2' of ice.  Nothing thawing out along the edges.  Still looks like January ice.  Beautiful day.  I'm going back next weekend to try again.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Fishingfool4ever69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2014, 09:23 AM »
Ice osprey, have you been up to green Mtn yet?

Offline IceOsprey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:13 PM »
I have not. I live in falcon and it would be a 3 hour drive each way so I have not committed to go there yet. Maybe this summer if I take the boat and camp for the weekend. I also take my three year old boy with me and usually make it back home for late nap time. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.