Author Topic: auger storage  (Read 6926 times)

Offline kraz

• IceShanty Rookie
auger storage
« on: Mar 27, 2014, 06:15 PM »
Hi All,

the question is do you empty the gas or just add stabilizer?

Kraz
Dan Kraz

Online thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: auger storage
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Add stabilizer, run the motor until you're sure its in the carb, and thats all. Fogging oil is mostly a gimick, running a motor dry of gas can dry out seal in the carb or make fuel lines brittle.  Next fall, dump the gas, and put in new good gas.
-Tom

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Dump the gas?  Seems like a waste of perfectly good petrol, especially since you treated it.
I've been on the same tank of gas in one of my augers now for the past 3 years?  I just
treat it good, and periodically start them year round.

MD

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2014, 08:29 PM »
I put seafoam in the gas and run it awhile.  I also start it a couple times during the summer.

Offline thewyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go hard or go home
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2014, 08:52 PM »
Add seafoam to less than a cup of gas run dry, the spray carb cleaner into air intake. Pull starter until it refuses to go, it should start right up next season
go hard or go home

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2014, 10:37 PM »
You can run the treated gas in the tank, but I put so much seafoam in it, I don't like to . I usually put about 2 ounces per cup of gas. Not sure how you can possibly be running on 3 year old gas and not know it. Usually the gas smells "old" after about 6 months, and your motor smells like a popcorn machine when you run it. Running 3 year old gas is like a 25 year old spark plug. Just because it works, doesn't mean its a good idea.
-Tom

Offline pastaboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH - ON!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:32 AM »
I don't have a gas auger but I put about 2oz. each sea foam, marvel mystery oil and stabil (Follow stabil bottle directions) to my 5gal gas can and run it in my yard equipment for a couple of minutes (Do this for my boat motor too) and leave it. Keeps the seals from drying out and prevents the carb from gunking up. I also put about 1tablespoon motor oil in the cylinder, put plug back in and leave spark plug wire un-hooked, pull rope a couple times to disperse oil to prevent freeze up during storage and good to go. I do not dump my gas either, with the stabil it is good to go next season.

Offline Eyes R Bitin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:43 AM »
Does Stabil get old.  I have a can that I bought about 10 years ago.  Is it still good?

Fishmon

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:51 AM »
Does Stabil get old.  I have a can that I bought about 10 years ago.  Is it still good?

Do yourself and your auger a favor and buy a new container of marine stabil which is better than what you have.  It is well worth the $ and aggravation you will spare yourself from down the road.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:12 AM »
You can run the treated gas in the tank, but I put so much seafoam in it, I don't like to . I usually put about 2 ounces per cup of gas. Not sure how you can possibly be running on 3 year old gas and not know it. Usually the gas smells "old" after about 6 months, and your motor smells like a popcorn machine when you run it. Running 3 year old gas is like a 25 year old spark plug. Just because it works, doesn't mean its a good idea.

Is that a typo?  "I usually put about 2 ounces per cup of gas. "  A cup equals 8 ounces and you are running 2 ounces of Seafoam with  every cup?

That is 16 ounces of seafoam for every gal of gas or 2.5 quarts of seafom for every 5 gal of gas.  That seems like a very rich mixture.
take care,
Dave  :>)

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:22 AM »
It is not a typo, an that is the reason I dump it every year. Maybe not totally necessary, but I it cleans out the carb and decarbs the engine.
-Tom

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:08 AM »
I never do anything except keep the gas tank full, and start it up around the end of July. Works great for me for the last 25 years. Never had a problem with the auger starting right up come first ice.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:13 AM »
I never do anything except keep the gas tank full, and start it up around the end of July. Works great for me for the last 25 years. Never had a problem with the auger starting right up come first ice.

Same for me.
take care,

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:16 AM »
It is not a typo, an that is the reason I dump it every year. Maybe not totally necessary, but I it cleans out the carb and decarbs the engine.

Ok, I understand now.  You are only mixing it this rich for storage, not usage.
take care,

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:21 AM »
imo the worst thing you can do is let it dry out, and let the remaining 2 cycle oil film varnish up. Best to fill the tank full so no condensation.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:27 AM »

X3 here. It goes for the snowblower too, though I fire 'em both up about once a month during the off season.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:32 AM »
I empty most of the tank, leaving enough to cover the pick up tube, add a shot of Startron, and a bit more oil to the mix, then run a minute or two and shut down. Use fogging oil in the cylinder. It's not a "gimmick". I also spray the carb throat/linkage with a good protectant. Remember to rub some oil on those blades also, to prevent rust starting.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline XhardwaterX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Ive been running it dry with stabil added to the non ethanol fuel. Should I just leave the tank full instead?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:48 AM »
Ive been running it dry with stabil added to the non ethanol fuel. Should I just leave the tank full instead?

After about 40 years of doing that, I now leave fuel in the tank, after putting new gasket kits in two engines, including my boat engine/carbs, because everything dried out....I've changed my outlook on running things dry.  ::)

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:11 AM »
"
"  x4, i dont even bother starting it up in july, come ice fishing time just pull on it and it usually fires right up, havent had any problems yet

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:57 AM »
This is my 3rd year with my auger. To store it away for winter I put it in back of my garage. then pull it out few days before I icefish and fire it up and add some fresh gas.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:05 AM »
If you have it available use non ethanol gas add your oil, fill the tank, and maybe add some stabil if you choose. I have never even bothered adding stabil. The 2 cycle oil I use says it has stabilizer already in the oil. Been working for me for 25+ years. I will probably die of old age before my jiffy model 30 craps out.

Offline Dan J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Storage starts with what you put in the tank at the beginning of the season. I always start with fresh non oxy fuel mixed with Amsoil, Startron and Seafoam. When the season is over I just start it up once a month all summer to keep everything from drying out. In the fall I empty any old gas and start with fresh mixed non oxy. I haven't had any problems.

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Dump the gas?  Seems like a waste of perfectly good petrol, especially since you treated it.
I've been on the same tank of gas in one of my augers now for the past 3 years?  I just

MD
I "dump the gas" in my vehicle to burn it up unless I have a brush pile that needs attention ;)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2014, 01:08 PM »

MD

Let me clarify this.  In one of my augers (which I haven't used regularly in nearly 3 years, which the gas was treated with stabil and seafoam), I would start it about once every six months.  I never drained the tank, but would occasionally top it off with my current mix of 2-cycle gas.  Since during its bi-yearly starts, I only let it run long enough to warm up, I didn't use very much gas.  I am more concerned about condensation build up in a partially filled tank, than I am about gumming up the carb.  I should also point out that during my last trip to Moosehead earlier this month, I decided to use that auger, and it performed just fine.  It is a 2hp Jiffy White Lightning.  I also am
a believer in keeping some gas in it to prevent the seals from drying out.  Your mileage my vary.  It does have a fairly new plug in it.
And it doesn't smell like pop corn.  It doesn't produce very much smoke since I run a 50:1 mix using Amsoil.  It does usually start on
the third pull if I don't flood it.  First pull (or until it fires) at full choke.  Then one pull at half coke (and it usually starts), then I take off
the choke and let it warm up.  This auger has become my backup auger, and so I rarely use it.  I let guests use it if they want to drill
their own holes.  I usually use my Tanaka and Nils bit.  There.  Hope that clears things up a bit.

MD

Offline IcefisherSteve

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 28, 2014, 04:34 PM »
I "dump the gas" in my vehicle to burn it up unless I have a brush pile that needs attention ;)
You put your auger gas that is mixed with 2 stroke oil in your vehicle???

Offline spud bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2014, 04:45 PM »
You put your auger gas that is mixed with 2 stroke oil in your vehicle???

I do the same thing. A little mixed fuel added to a full tank in the truck won't make a diff. Better than dumping it out.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2014, 04:47 PM »
I hang my augers in the basement. When the season arrives I eat some Wheaties and drill some holes. My Fin BorIII don't need no gas!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:27 PM »
Yep, just put the gas in your car, truck, or anything else. I dump all my extra gas in my truck. As long as you do a little at a time, you'll be fine. I've gone so far as to dump almost 5 gallons of boat gas in there at a time. Its probably equivalent to running 100:1 in my truck. I don't recommend that much at a time for something you actually care about, but I just cant seem to get my truck to die. At 20 hard years of use, I can literally do anything to it, and it will just keep chugging along.
-Tom

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:34 PM »
Keeps my mower going half the Summer.   ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com