Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Any plans or projects for next ice season?  (Read 3202 times)

Offline CPace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any plans or projects for next ice season?
« on: Mar 27, 2014, 03:52 AM »
Though it might be interesting to see if anyone is working on a plan or project for making next ice season's fishing better/more interesting?!?

One plan I have, is to look for a Quad or decent older snowmobile to make it a little easier haul'n my ever increasing pile of "can't do without it" gear!  Probubly looking at more in the line of a Quad, as there is a few other things you can do with them, plus a much extended use season!  first things first, though!  Gotta convince the better half of the actual need!!! (wonder how many "chips" it'll cost me?)

As for the "chips" reference: an old Pastor at my church used to say "you spend you life collecting poker chips.  When you want something, it's gonna cost you some of, if not all of those chips.  Then, you have to start collecting all over again!!"

Same Pastor I took fishing in the summer (was his first outing ever) and he caught a carp weighed maybe 8-9 pounds, and he named it "Frank", wanted to get it stuffed and mounted! :woot:  Couldn't understand why i didn't think anyone would do it for him!  So, as punishment, we had to listen to about 3-4 sermons where "Frank the fish" seemed to be at the forefront of the lesson!!  Ooops, got of the track a little!  Sorry everyone!!   :-[

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
Re: Any plans or projects for next ice season?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2014, 06:11 AM »
Id like to build one of these; watch his video on page 6. Slickest portable permie Ive ever seen. He has really thought thru everything on his build.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=260682.100

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2014, 10:24 PM »
im planning on buying a 6x12 enclosed trailer and turning it into a permy and its light enough for and atv to pull and still use it to haul everything
Never to many short poles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2014, 10:29 PM »
Will it have a crank down frame, or use plastic tubes to connect the trailer to the ice?

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2014, 01:29 AM »
I started a permy build in October and got the frame complete then a great ice fishing season hit. It is a 7'x15' v-nose trailer that I am hoping to get complete by next fall. I'm planning on two thermal pane windows with one entry door and a cargo door in the rear capable of pulling my atv in, along with the rest of my gear and go north when the ice is not good enough in SW Iowa. There is ALOT of info out there about these builds...... I'm hoping for mine to have 8 fishing holes, spray foam insulated floor, sleeping accommodations, small kitchenette, table, forced air furnace, plenty of storage, flat screen tv, generator and 120v and 12v systems with solar/wind generating possibilities. Whew!!! shouldn't be too difficult right???? I'm getting most of my info from fish house supply on-line but I'm open to any suggestions or tips from those who have attempted this type of build.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:17 AM »
Id like to build one of these; watch his video on page 6. Slickest portable permie Ive ever seen. He has really thought thru everything on his build.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=260682.100

Slick idea for towing down the road.  I don't like that if you want to move it a few or a few hundred yards, everything has to be emptied out of the shack to tip it back on it's wheels for a short move.
take care,
Dave  :>)

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:51 AM »
Yes, that would be the downside. It is also a hassle to move hand crank downs too, from what guys tell me, but I have no experience w one. I suppose the fastest quick move permie would be one with plastic tubes u pull up, and then just move??

Offline otpiper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:01 AM »
I have a 6 by 12 enclosed trailer converted to ice house bought it this way last winter has vented heater insulated floor 4 holes with sleeves I swear I can move this to a different spot 10 times faster than I can move a big portable

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:18 AM »
I have a 6 by 12 enclosed trailer converted to ice house bought it this way last winter has vented heater insulated floor 4 holes with sleeves I swear I can move this to a different spot 10 times faster than I can move a big portable
How do u drill your fish holes? An auger extension and a slush bucket comes to mind.

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:29 AM »
Yes, that would be the downside. It is also a hassle to move hand crank downs too, from what guys tell me, but I have no experience w one. I suppose the fastest quick move permie would be one with plastic tubes u pull up, and then just move??

The other thing about towing down the road with the shack on it's side is what about structural integrity?  I mean, seems the wall studs and such are designed to carry a vertical load and going down the road (subject to all the bouncing and jarring) the studs are laying horizontal and providing no real strength to the walls?
take care,

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:47 AM »
Good point

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:23 AM »
I would think the crank downs could get frozen down hard enough to possibly damage the frame/undercarriage/running gear... And they might not trailer down the road at 70 mph very well?? I was planning on using the tubes I'm just wondering if the holes will be hard to keep from freezing over? Anyone have experience?

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:19 AM »
I would think the crank downs could get frozen down hard enough to possibly damage the frame/undercarriage/running gear... And they might not trailer down the road at 70 mph very well?? I was planning on using the tubes I'm just wondering if the holes will be hard to keep from freezing over? Anyone have experience?

Depends on how often they are moved.  The running gear is up off the ice, only the frame sits on the ice same as a permie which is on skids.  Nice thing about the crankdowns is that they are designed to be cranked up at the end of the day or weekend and taken home.  No worries about freezing in and you choice of location for you next trip out is not influenced by where the shack is sitting, it is sitting at home, safe and sound.
take care,

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:46 AM »
im just going to leave it tall and use buckets to the catch cover it makes it easier to move and to get rid of the slush and stronger when you haul a big atv inside . I wanted to use a bigger enclosed trailer but I want the atv to be able to pull the trailer on thinner ice conditions and for more space im going to cut the end out of my 6x12 command post and snap it on the end of the trailer

Offline otpiper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:19 PM »
Just drill through the floor and pop the sleeves in last year didn't need extension on crystal lake this year had to make a foot extension even left the house sit on the lake for 4 days below 0 and just went back and drilled right through the sleeves each day worked perty good

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:59 PM »
Thanks, I'm glad to hear from some experience that the sleeves do work reasonably well... Like most of my projects I jump into em knee deep before I really figure out exactly how I'm going to reach the final product. If I knew how to post pics I would (guess its time to learn).

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 31, 2014, 11:33 PM »
I'm going to add some homebrew runners to my sled and upgrade my fish finder setup

Catchin' Fish

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #17 on: Apr 01, 2014, 10:56 AM »
I have to drive to Walker, MN to pick up our camper that we had to abandon up there due to the fact that we had to get towed 200+ miles to get my buddy's car fixed. I'll take any excuse to get some extra fishing in...

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Apr 01, 2014, 02:24 PM »
what does a 200 mile tow cost? I am in the process of building a camera carrier for my underwater camera. It also holds a Cabela's agm battery. Its welded small angle iron with plywood shelves. Started a few weeks ago but its taking more redneck engineering than I planned on. Which is OK. I want something that works good and holds up.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:38 PM »
WELL, luckily for him I had AAA they will cover 200 miles, we had to stay in a hotel, they covered both nights of that, and meals. Then I rented a car the next day when I found out his truck wasn't going to be done so I drove back from St Cloud to Des Moines and did a one way drop, they're covering that too. But I'm just now going to be getting my check, took then two months but I'm getting paid at least! The 19 miles past the 200 was $4 a mile, thank God I had AAA.

Offline Marcunfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:24 AM »
I plan on getting a 4 wheeler and trailer for next season  ;D. So I can be able to fish larger bodies of water where I wont have to drag my frabill predator  :P

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2014, 03:21 PM »
im thinking quad and a camera. Other than that I dunno lol.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Apr 05, 2014, 10:08 PM »
enclosed trailer

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2014, 10:43 PM »
Plans = Hoping on getting on the ice more than I did this year. Lots going on so didn't have as much time as I'd like on the ice.

Projects = Thinking about getting into a different shack. Problem is I don't know what I want yet so don't see the point in starting.  :P

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Upgrading my snowmobile and adding a auger mount and hopefully a shack mount on the back.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #25 on: Apr 23, 2014, 04:21 PM »
Upgrading my snowmobile and adding a auger mount and hopefully a shack mount on the back.
seen your sled on craigslist

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Apr 27, 2014, 10:58 AM »
Yep, that was mine.  Picking up my new sled this week and just hoping to find a buyer for my old sled although it won't probably sell until later in the Fall.

It's in really good condition for a 1999.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #27 on: Apr 27, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Yep, that was mine.  Picking up my new sled this week and just hoping to find a buyer for my old sled although it won't probably sell until later in the Fall.

It's in really good condition for a 1999.
it looked like it. What did u buy?

Offline Lyontyl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Apr 27, 2014, 08:57 PM »
Picking up a 2009 Polaris IQ extended track this week.  Only 700 miles on it.  Very excited.  Now I just need to find some mods online of how people mounted their shacks on the back of their sleds.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #29 on: Apr 28, 2014, 06:18 AM »
 :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.