The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: jiffy ice drills  (Read 3726 times)

Offline fishermen720

• IceShanty Rookie
jiffy ice drills
« on: Mar 26, 2014, 02:29 PM »
Don't buy jiffy augers three year old auger need one piston ring they told me they don't sell internal parts $470 down the drain

Offline browny7492

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: jiffy ice drills
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:53 PM »
Wow that's unreal!

Offline outbakjak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:24 PM »
the one i own is twenty something years old with only one carb rebuild this season.purs like a kitten and hopefully someday my son will be drilling holes with his children.but i was told but a few that the jiffy augers made in recent years just don't compare,sorry about your hardship,i would write a letter or email jiffy corporate h.q.

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Wow. That's odd. I know a lot of guys who run jiffys. Old and new. Never heard anyone with internal motor problems. Maybe you just got a lemon. I have a newer one too. Mine is great. What ratio fuel are you running in it? Being three years it should be a tecumseh motor. If you research that you might be able to find parts.

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Got Bugs?

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2014, 08:33 AM »
I have a model 30 Jeffy that I got for a gift in 1980 I

Offline fishermen720

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2014, 05:54 AM »
Tecumseh don't make new jiffy motors bought. It new in2011

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jul 21, 2014, 06:07 AM »
Get your make and model  and check out some sites from a recently posted thread .

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=291710.msg3051665#msg3051665

Good luck
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2014, 04:34 AM »
That sucks big time.  I'd call and complain and every time someone said they're not helping I'd ask for their boss until I ran out of people to talk with.  It should last a lot more than three years regardless of who made the motor on it.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:39 AM »
yeah, I read last year something about the new Jiffy motors being made in China and there being service issues.

I figured it was something like my pressure washer. A part on the motor broke and I called for replacement parts or service and they told me that the parts for the Chinese imports are bought in lots from random Chinese suppliers and they can't know what supplier made what part to go to what motor so they don't service them any more.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2014, 06:33 PM »
As the saying goes, they don't make them like they use to.  Sadly it's more and more common for companies to cut costs in the name of making more money and the quality suffers.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2014, 07:59 PM »
Actually I am interested in the Jiffy STX Pro 4 propane auger for this upcoming season. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Mark D.

Oh, you boys are crazy wishing for winter all year long!

This might help.  :) 

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=260141.0

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:04 PM »
MarkD, hit up BigCrew, I know he has a Jiffy propane auger just not sure which one.  Chez was fishing with him, gave it a try, and liked it a lot.

Offline jigginPig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jul 28, 2014, 08:44 PM »
Actually I am interested in the Jiffy STX Pro 4 propane auger for this upcoming season. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Mark D.

Oh, you boys are crazy wishing for winter all year long!
Too heavy. Weight was a high concern when I was looking. YMMV. Good luck and look at the specs and reviews and pick which will fit your needs. Good luck!
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bull$#!+

Offline fishermen720

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jul 29, 2014, 10:55 AM »
I got my jiffy in 2011 bran new had a problem with the muffler bolts snapping off in the head do the only way to get the bolts out is to take the head off and back the bolts out got  them out went to put the head back on and snapped a ring so I figure no big deal I'll call jiffy and get a new set of rings they told me that I'll have buy a new motor I said bull crap I need rings only they won't sell no internal engine parts for a new jiffy so if you guys want. To buy jiffy I will never buy another one I got it s small engine dealer now he is looking all around trying to fined rings for a new model 30 jiffy

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #15 on: Jul 29, 2014, 02:37 PM »
I bought the Jiffy Pro4 propane auger last year. I don't know how I icefished without it. no nasty fumes or gas smell and it cuts like a dream. I bought the 8" model.

HIMO
                                                                                                   Iceshanty & MFF Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #16 on: Jul 29, 2014, 02:49 PM »
I bought the Jiffy Pro4 propane auger last year. I don't know how I icefished without it. no nasty fumes or gas smell and it cuts like a dream. I bought the 8" model.

HIMO
                                                                                                   Iceshanty & MFF Moderator

The only thing holding me back from the new PRO4 Lite, Model 42, is that it's not available in 9". After running a 9" 2hp Jiffy for 14 years, that 9" hole is too good to give up.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #17 on: Jul 29, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Don't know much about the propane augers, but last year HIMO was nice enough to let me drill a few holes with his on Fox Lake. I must admit it was really nice and made me a little jealous. Now I to debate on getting one or just running my old 30 until it dies.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jul 30, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Don't know much about the propane augers, but last year HIMO was nice enough to let me drill a few holes with his on Fox Lake. I must admit it was really nice and made me a little jealous. Now I to debate on getting one or just running my old 30 until it dies.

or you could follow me around and use mine again. LOL !!!

HIMO

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jul 30, 2014, 07:37 AM »
The only thing holding me back from the new PRO4 Lite, Model 42, is that it's not available in 9". After running a 9" 2hp Jiffy for 14 years, that 9" hole is too good to give up.

also be advised that the Pro4 lite has a smaller engine than the Pro4, so you will have less power with the Pro4 lite.

HIMO

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jul 30, 2014, 07:54 AM »
Im pretty sure im going to purchase a propane this year.I was with BIG CREW a few times last year and ran his.Great augar.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2014, 06:09 PM »
or you could follow me around and use mine again. LOL !!!

HIMO

Might take you up on it. Just have to let me know when you and the family are up by Mason again.

Offline Kilbourn

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin Dells, WI
« Reply #22 on: Jul 31, 2014, 04:37 PM »
SURE! I'm not that hard to get along with, Id be glad to for HIMO.....

Last year I went fishing with my dad. I told him it was funny that when I was younger he drilled all the holes and I fished them. Now that he's older and had arm surgery it seems that I drill all the holes and he fishing's them. Either way I love it and would drill my dads ice holes anytime.  :tipup:

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jul 31, 2014, 06:17 PM »
SURE! I'm not that hard to get along with, Id be glad to for HIMO.....

Last year I went fishing with my dad. I told him it was funny that when I was younger he drilled all the holes and I fished them. Now that he's older and had arm surgery it seems that I drill all the holes and he fishing's them. Either way I love it and would drill my dads ice holes anytime.  :tipup:

Good for you, always have to take care of and cherish every moment with Mom and Dad.

Offline fishermen720

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Aug 07, 2014, 07:10 AM »
Call jiffy again and they won't sell me no internal parts for my auger its a newer model 30 so they give me a new power head for 250 that's not to bad but I still want rings for the other auger because it's only 3 years old if anyone knows were to get rings please let me  know thanks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Aug 07, 2014, 07:47 AM »
I typed in my search engine NOS( new old stock) Tecumseh....lot of ebay hits ...saw some ring kits on there ..not certain which part number your looking for ....good luck...it does look like Jiffy did the right thing to a degree
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Aug 07, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Call jiffy again and they won't sell me no internal parts for my auger its a newer model 30 so they give me a new power head for 250 that's not to bad but I still want rings for the other auger because it's only 3 years old if anyone knows were to get rings please let me  know thanks

It's real sad how they're treating you after you spent your hard earned money on their auger.  I didn't think they were a take the money and run type company and for that reason alone I won't buy any Jiffy products. 

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Aug 07, 2014, 09:11 AM »
My buddy was selling his PROPANE AUGAR to buy the newer lite weight one.He decided to keep it for another year or 2.I was buying the older one but,not now.
Any one selling a jiffy propane ,i would be very interested in it.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Sep 20, 2014, 08:29 PM »
I am sure you can get a ring set for that motor, I dont know where your at but if your close to me I would help you out are there any guys in your area that work on lawn mowers there the guys that will be able to help you out do you have it apart ? Or did you take it apart to find the problem shoot me a pm with your location maybe I can help you out

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #29 on: Sep 24, 2014, 01:41 PM »
This will be my 3rd year with my Pro4, I think I'd be lost with out it and the things are great on fuel useage. I finally put a new tank on it last year, granter the first 2 years out with it were short seasons but last year fishing the NEPL along with just getting out, my partner and I puched a chit load of holes befor I had to put a new tank on it and I finally noticed the blades are starting to dull abit..... when we have auger races the guys are starting to catch me quicker than before lol, I'm still winning but not by as much as I used to hehe.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.