The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Jiffy Mod 30 needs repair  (Read 3342 times)

Offline JPM80

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy Mod 30 needs repair
« on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:23 PM »
Picked up a an older Jiffy Mod 30 that needs carb rebuilt. Anyone know where I can get one from a reliable source? I live in NE PA.

Offline RAU

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy Mod 30 needs repair
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2014, 08:42 PM »
Did you contact jiffy yet?

Offline JPM80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:41 PM »
I tried several times, lines tied up with other customers. I looked on their website and saw cutsheets for transmission and parts that surround engine, didn't see any carb kits. I am guessing will need to go thru Tecumseh, but only saw carb for $80. I am hesitant on going online to purchase, but may be only option. Thought maybe someone services Jiffy's in NE since they have been around for a long time.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2014, 10:13 AM »
If all you need is the carb rebuild kit, any small engine repair shop should be able to get it for you since Jiffy doesn't make them.
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline outbakjak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2014, 02:06 PM »
i got mine on ebay for 23.00 to the door it was original techumseh replacement parts could not go wrong

Offline fishermen720

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2014, 02:37 PM »
I got a model 30 call jiffy can't get a piston ring they stink get the word out

Offline JPM80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Thanks to all for the info. This site is a great resource. Fishermen helping each other out.

FYI, I called NAPA Auto Parts based on a suggestion. Took them awhile but they tracked it down. Should get it in a day. Hopefully it's the right one based on engine numbering given them.

Offline JPM80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:42 PM »
I have another question for anyone who uses or used an older Jiffy Mod 30. Is it normal to have some slop where auger connects to motor shaft even after tightening down cap screw? I noticed that the shaft hole is showing thread marks from the cap screw.  I am not sure if that connection needs to be tight or doesn't matter? I assume it probably doesn't since why would Jiffy put a threaded cap screw in a bare hole? This is my first power auger so I am learning as I go.

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 27, 2014, 07:22 AM »
 Carb Kit for Tecumseh Jiffy Ice Auger Model 30 & 31 (380390275948)
Member id things2sell2you | Feedback Score Of 64784 | 99.4%
diaphram made in the USA!!!

needle and seat oem tecumseh parts

For Tecumseh engines with diaphram carburetors

Common on JIFFY ICE AUGERS

630932a, & 630978

Freshen up your old carburetor with some new parts.

$8.97 with free shipping.
Got Bugs?

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 27, 2014, 08:56 AM »
I got a model 30 Jiffy auger as a gift in 1980 I think that's the yr. and I can say it only let me down 1 time and it needed a new head gasket, I can also say I use it all the time on the ice. I target pan fish only and move until I find them,not uncommon to drill 50 and up holes each time I go out, and my friends are using it as well. I got tired of my sons taking it all the time so I fixed that now they both have there own,and yes Model 30's.  Well today is March 27 th and I will have it on the ice tomorrow day 21 on the ice, then put it away until next yr. if I am still here and able.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #10 on: Mar 27, 2014, 09:02 AM »
I got a model 30 call jiffy can't get a piston ring they stink get the word out

They don't build the motors. All their augers are built using Tecumseh motors so if the motor crapped out on you call the company that manufactured the motor that stocks the replacement parts for them

I have well over 5000 holes on mine (10") in the 7 years I've owned it and it still fires up on the first few pulls and drills like the day I bought it
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 27, 2014, 09:12 AM »
Hey JPM....  Waitin to see what others say but mine is barely  loose also! Late 80's model 30!  O.P.    :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline crappie/slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 27, 2014, 03:45 PM »
I have another question for anyone who uses or used an older Jiffy Mod 30. Is it normal to have some slop where auger connects to motor shaft even after tightening down cap screw? I noticed that the shaft hole is showing thread marks from the cap screw.  I am not sure if that connection needs to be tight or doesn't matter? I assume it probably doesn't since why would Jiffy put a threaded cap screw in a bare hole? This is my first power auger so I am learning as I go.
make sure that the screw is tight or it will brake and you will lose the auger down the hole had mine break off at the nut but there was just enough to hold the auger on have to tighten it up every day i go out.its not a 30 its a stealth stx but i think the connections are the same principle

Offline JPM80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2014, 06:04 PM »
Hello Jiffyjerk, who is the supplier, Ebay, Amazon etc? Thanks for the info.

Hello All, thanks much for the feedback. A little background, I bought the auger from a friend who did not use it for many years. Engine ran good, but sometimes hung up prior to punching through the last inch of ice, blade sharpening? I also noticed a small gas leak coming from carb diaphragm gasket, hence need for a rebuild kit. As I mentioned previously, I noticed too much play, my opinion, where auger mates with motor shaft. I also noticed when idling, the gearbox was making some knocking noises changing how the auger turned. Also not good in my opinion. Having a mechanical background, I disassembled the gearbox. Gearbox was amazingly simple, and well engineered. I immediately noticed that the clutch hub and clutches had metal buildup/irregularities on them explaining why auger grabbed and knocked when it got past metal buildup during idling revolutions. This may also contribute to shaft hole being sloppy, but the high revs probably more the culprit. Could it be once the motor shaft hole opens up a bit, it gets worse over time? This is speculation until I see if changes I intend, solve the issues. Were Model 30's tight when first purchased or always a bit sloppy?

Next step is to take the hub and clutch pads to a machinist friend and see if honing the drum and clutch pads makes sense to eliminate erratic action of the auger? Also intend on asking him to look at sloppy motor shaft hole and whether going to a "shouldered" cap screw makes more sense? Not sure if that can be done now since that would require a larger bolt given hole would have to be opened up more. Some will say, throw in the towel and buy a new one, but this thing is a tank and well made/engineered. Yes it weighs 35#, but from what I am hearing you all say, these are extremely reliable augers. Plus, I believe all ice fishermen have a bit of MacGyver in them, me included, always coming up with new ideas that make fishing on ice more enjoyable. From my limited experience, it appears that Murphy (Murphy's Law) spends a lot of time on the ice testing our resolve. Need to stay 5 steps ahead of that guy. I will post results of my findings for those interested.

Offline Jiffyjerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Ebay JPM, I bought 2 kits.
Got Bugs?

Offline saphireblue99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2014, 04:26 PM »
USUALLY THE DIAPHRAM CRACKS, OR GETS BRITTLE AND DOESN'T FLEX, EBAY HAS EM CHEAP BEFORE YOU WASTE MONEY ON THE WHOLE CARB.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.