The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anybody still Fishin ?  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody still Fishin ?
« on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Anybody still Fishin? Had a stellar day!! The bite at this time of year is what makes me brave the late ice. I might be crazy but I'm not stupid. As of today the ice on my lakes are solid. I know it's not gonna last but I'm gonna ride this late cold season like a stolen dirt bike!! The bite is crazy right now! This is almost a record year for ice. Only 1 other time did I fish this late on solid ice. Second week of April of 95 was my longest season.

Offline FISHHUNTER80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GET THE GAFF!!!
Re: Anybody still Fishin ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2014, 10:26 AM »
Anybody still Fishin? Had a stellar day!! The bite at this time of year is what makes me brave the late ice. I might be crazy but I'm not stupid. As of today the ice on my lakes are solid. I know it's not gonna last but I'm gonna ride this late cold season like a stolen dirt bike!! The bite is crazy right now! This is almost a record year for ice. Only 1 other time did I fish this late on solid ice. Second week of April of 95 was my longest season.
What part of pa are you fishing? My local lake is lake Arthur in butler county. I think guys are still fishing a couple areas, but last I heard it was down to 5" which can be iffy late ice. That was Monday and its been quite cold since so I may check it out in the morning. Last time out last week was my best slab morning of the year.

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2014, 12:51 PM »
North east. They'r callin for record lows tonight. When I was out yesterday it didn't even get above freezing. The holes were freezing over quick and so were the fish that were on the ice!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Whoa - haven't seen a day over 40 yet and ice ranges from 2 - 4 feet. 
I am thinking at least mid April maybe to the 20th...

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2014, 12:57 PM »
Hopefully!!

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2014, 01:23 PM »
work keeps getting in the way...think I'm burning a vacation day Friday though and making it a long weekend on the ice  ;D
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline outbakjak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2014, 02:04 PM »
i will be back at promised land tomorrow morning but that will be the end of the season for me due to family life

Offline 5-flags

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2014, 02:30 PM »
I will be heading out to Prompton Dam Sunday 03-30..  Hope the edges hold up until than. We had over 15" of ice  this past Sunday. Belmont will surely still be locked.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2014, 05:10 PM »
was on artur today had about 7in of good ice but could not catch 1 fish totally blew my mind.

Offline sloughdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2014, 05:58 PM »
Fished up until Monday 3/25 on Canoe Lake and did pretty well on crappie and bluegills.  Friends fished it yesterday and did well but a large crack opened up in the ice that had water coming through.  The winds last night and all day today likely made the ice completely unsafe.  The late ice proved to be the most consistent bite for me this year. 

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:27 PM »
You guys do know that below freezing temps during the day does not mean its not loosing ice.

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:29 PM »
You guys do know that below freezing temps during the day does not mean its not loosing ice.
I think that would depend on the water temp. Under the ice.

Offline outbakjak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:31 PM »
the first thing i do when i get on the ice this time of year is punch a test hole just to be safe.even though there was 13 inches of ice at promised land on monday i will still use caution tomorrow morning

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2014, 07:35 PM »
We checked it. It definately did not lose any ice.

Offline bullscrickbowfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Made my last trip to Glendale yesterday and yes late ice = good bite!

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2014, 09:37 PM »
I think that would depend on the water temp. Under the ice.

This late in the ice season the sun is extremely high in the sky for much longer thus having more of an affect on the ice.  It might not be melting the surface but it is effecting the integrity (uniformity) of the ice as a whole. 

Couple that with warmer days and that's when things go to heck quickly. 

The water temps also contribute to the melting of the ice. 

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 27, 2014, 10:31 AM »
I will be heading out to Prompton Dam Sunday 03-30..  Hope the edges hold up until than. We had over 15" of ice  this past Sunday. Belmont will surely still be locked.

Was at PROMPTON sunday.Bite was super slow.Drilled 70 plus holes lots ofv dink perch.I fished in front of the bottle neck.I did nt go threw channel.Fishe 3pm till 745pm.19" to20" good ice.I think it will be still good this weekend.Not all that much rain in the forecast..BELLMONT will be good i can allmost promise.This is the first year i didnt hit BELLMONT in a lot of years.Be safe and Good Luck.

Offline outbakjak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 27, 2014, 12:11 PM »
fished p.l. this morning,still 13 inches of ice but i think its gonna go fast.i noticed it has a lot of air bubbles in it.the bite was slow one hammer handle and five decent perch.i might try sunday but it might be too late,probably drive to shahola or belmont if i go

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Im planning on trying to hit pecks sunday. But may have to drive a little further if the conditions are not good. hoping they dont get to much rain fri & sat.

Offline icefishermik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2014, 10:23 PM »
today. same lake. one bass and a bunch of pike. a few 28 inchers. my friend chubs caught a 14 inch perch. last day for me. it's been a fantastic season. looking forward to next year.

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:10 AM »
good way to go out icefishermik way to go.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:31 AM »
gonna meet up with a few guys tomorrow morning. If this rain kills the ice, then I'm gonna start getting the soft water gear ready. Might make an evening trip up to the susky.

Offline 5-flags

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:01 AM »
Hey Chez, We were also at prompton and had a blast!! We found a small area that was packed with gills and perch. If you moved 10ft off that spot you got nothing!! We caught nothing anywhere else we fished. I was ready to pack it in after fishing from 6:30am until 12:00noon and my buddy found the spot and in three hours we had 35 on the ice and we had to leave..

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:36 PM »
5 FLAGGS i didnt fish PROMPTON threw the ice the last 2 years,but we always did well.Went sunday and man it S**KED BAD brother.I bet i drilled 70 holes and mt buddy another 30 or so.I was fishin a area before the bottle neck to start.I shot a line of holes across the lake frome shore to shore,then a zigzagg patteren.Ton of 6" perch and golden shiners{{I SAVED THE SHINERS FOR CUT BAIT}.I had allways done well in this area.I was fishin in 22' of water.Im gladd you guys got on them MAN.My buddy told me his friends were hitting them threw the channel but to the right.THey were getting lotts of callicos in that area.All the perch i caugh were right on bottom.was hard to even pick them up on the vex till they made their move.This wasent the PROMPTON i remembered.WE did manage 3  PUMPKINSEEDS that were half decent.Wind was bad.WE fished 3PM till7.45PM we had lanterns if the bite happened but,They never showed up.Youll have safe ice this weekend again .Give em hell.GOOD LUCK.

Offline 5-flags

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2014, 03:34 PM »
I spoke to a guy at first light that walked all the way out to the channel, and it was WINDY!!  He said Saturday he got 20 calico. he was walkin back at about noon on Sunday with one calico and one pumpkin seed. We got a bunch of 9" pumpkin seeds in the 10 ft area we found fish..  I will be back Sunday, I will venture to the channel to find the calico "I HOPE" and save the honey hole for a rescue mission if needed.. Good luck if you go out.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 28, 2014, 04:01 PM »
I know goes are going to go out this weekend in pike and Wayne countys, and wanted to give the guys that are going to drive in from out of town a heads up that those two areas are supposed to get over 2 inches of rain Saturday into Sunday with high wind on Sunday.

They already posted flood advisories and warnings.  There will be lots of run off so shores might go pretty quick.

I would not even go near pecks pond or shahola. 

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:26 PM »
I went through at shahola last year in late season just off the ramp. And pecks... There's a spring real close to the ramp that usually devours the ice pretty quick especially with the rain comin . Add some heavy wind and there will be a huge ft thick ice cube floating around with no way to get to it!!!

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #27 on: Mar 29, 2014, 07:43 PM »
I went through at shahola last year in late season just off the ramp. And pecks... There's a spring real close to the ramp that usually devours the ice pretty quick especially with the rain comin . Add some heavy wind and there will be a huge ft thick ice cube floating around with no way to get to it!!!

guys figure out how to get to the ice on Kinzua under those conditions  ;) ;D
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 30, 2014, 06:54 AM »
Put my stuff away friday night. Called it a season. I can catch all the same fish from my boat. Shore fishing trips are right around the corner  :clap:

Offline J Miser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Anchorage Alaska - Can't get home fast enuf!!!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 30, 2014, 12:12 PM »
I'm about to take a ride up to Emerald and see what the rain did, as long as I don't have to plank, I'll be out tomorrow with the goal of being out Tuesday in short sleeves and shorts.  To say I icefished in PA from November to April would be something.

Dr. JM
My private lakes: Laurel, Gruber, Emerald complex (Mountaintop, E Emerald, W Emerald, Pine Tree, Deer, Lower Deer, Halfmoon, Hunter, Little Mountaintop), Leisure Lk, Leisure Pd, Monroe, Tego, Little Tego, Upper Spring, Pocono Summit, Blue Mountain.  I want Naomi, Paupacken, and Hallowood and I'll chase the dream called Pocono Lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.