Author Topic: LAKE WPG part 2  (Read 1673 times)

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 50% of something is better than 100% of nothing
LAKE WPG part 2
« on: Mar 24, 2014, 01:26 AM »
My theory is south basin lake wpg is a almost zero structure area , especially the west-side of the lake.  so that makes it hard to pin point the walleyes,  they kinda just free roam the lake and follow bait fish.. 
and if you watch your flasher the bait fish are everywhere on the graph ...
so you have to make quick decisions to fish shallow or little deeper or wait out the next passing school... 
one this about fishing a wide open area (as far as the can see) .
 quick lesson i learnt over the years , is to pay attention to the other fisherman...  it tell a story by watch the sleds and the quads and snow bears , if there on the move from one area to the next , you know that area has little action , and the school of walleyes are somewhere else.
but..  are they just moving away from the fish to find fish and are they moving to soon?...  is run and gun the real answer? 
or is it a waiting game?
so i learnt to stay put in area that i have caught before and keep my eye on the traffic outside of my shack (cherry picking)   if people who are willing to run and gun ..  you know when the run and gun guys find them ,  they usually form and train like formation,,
and they slowly close in on the school..  NOW, this where you come into play.....  you have to have a little luck and try and predict where the school is going north south , east west , and take a ride just outside this train formation and hope you choose the right direction you think the fish are moving..   my guess this time of the year its south direction ,  river mouths ,   if the train formation is tight against shore then its easier east or west probably....    this is my theory... not a known fact....  it has works for me...   
but sometimes over thinking can't also hurt you...    just stay put and pray you get a decent school of fish coming through now and then....
JUST SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT......
lots to type ...but tired....

Where ever you go.. There you are!

Offline travis2091

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: LAKE WPG part 2
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2014, 10:13 AM »
Those are some beauties, nice color on a couple of them. Congrats!

Offline The_Big_Cat_Canada

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:51 AM »
great POST Mikey once again, you've got them mastered.

Offline 40 Creek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2014, 02:21 PM »
Good going guys!! Great pictures!!

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2014, 02:34 PM »
what a day that must have been, thanks for sharing i love seeing those big marble eyes from north of the border
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2014, 05:00 PM »
Thanks guys for the views and thumbs up
 just trying to spice up this site ,  posts were falling short..

pretty crazy  theres one week left of ice fishing for non trout species ....   get out there guys ,
MONSTER walleyes are being caught everywhere on the lake.. 

Offline E.R.B.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Great job Mikey & co. thanks for sharing...can you set out a couple of tipups  before the end of the season :tipup:

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2014, 09:18 PM »
nice to see one of those Man.  walleye with some yellow on it..lol. The taxidermists in the winnipeg area must have a 45gal. drum of light green mixed up for your walleye in Manitoba....lol. First one ive ever seen on here that was actually yellow.

Offline reel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:21 PM »
These are not walleyes, these are greenbacks......lol... I actually think the emerald green color makes them more beautiful and unique.  Common yellow walleyes are everywhere.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:24 PM »
Great looking fish!

WS

Offline travis2091

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:35 PM »
These are not walleyes, these are greenbacks......lol... I actually think the emerald green color makes them more beautiful and unique.  Common yellow walleyes are everywhere.
  agreed!

Offline mikeypikey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2014, 05:19 PM »
fishing lake wpg for 10 years now and i have found , you will catch few different color pattern walleyes
you get the sliver emerald green walleyes , brownish yellow , blotchy black camo color,

my theory

seem the emerald green ones spend most there life in the big lake ,we get that greenish color water during the summer mouths
(big algae blooms) , so i think from eating certain forage and they just seem to change color to camouflage them self with there surrounding ..

brownish yellow walleyes , i think are living most of there lives in the red river, which is brownish and yellow at times,, one again they blend in with there surrounding..

Black and blotchy white walleyes .  i think come from the East-side (pine falls area)of the lake which is more clear dark water with dark boulders and rocky bottom.. blending into there surrounding..

then comes march and these fish have to spawn so they head to the rivers and creeks ,   so they all come together..

last trip, we caught all pure greenback walleyes,   next trip it was brownish color walleyes and a few black and sliver walleyes..

this is what  i think is going on..  i could be wrong or could be right..   but it is neat to see multi  color walleyes..
its like a bucket fishing list . trying to get a trophy of each color..

my favorite is the blue walleye, we catch them up at the lodge i work at in the summer..

here's one of the guides with a blue walleye..  we only catch them in a certain area of the lake ..   we don't know why..

Offline johnny-walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2014, 08:04 AM »
going by your theory, the "blues" are probably from non polluted waters.   ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.