Author Topic: fish kill  (Read 2817 times)

Offline pearly

• IceShanty Rookie
fish kill
« on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:45 PM »
Checked a farm pond in Wabash county 1 Bass 2 Bluegill is all we found floating. Looked good!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: fish kill
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2014, 07:22 PM »
That's good to hear, hope to check ours in Adams county.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2014, 08:30 PM »
You will not know how many fish are dead until the water hits 55 degrees.

Offline northrn-duck-assassin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 24, 2014, 08:32 AM »
You will not know how many fish are dead until the water hits 55 degrees.

im curious to know how many fish are laid to rest on the bottom..!
Got one goin'!

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:21 AM »
 I think alot of ponds in northern and north central In will have fish kills. Two ponds i fish have none floating but i suspect they died along time ago and we won't see many dead floating fish. I'll be fishing them soon and will know more.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2014, 01:38 PM »
im curious to know how many fish are laid to rest on the bottom..!
  You will see a lot of them littered on the bottom.  Seen a pond about 10 yrs ago and looked like confetti on bottom!

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2014, 01:50 PM »
I seen a few fish laying dead on the bottom of a lake I was fishing this weekend . Counted 5 or 6 In 4 or 5 holes . I don't know if it was die off from the long winter or non-survivors from being released . They were in a well fisher area .

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2014, 04:04 PM »
I seen a few fish laying dead on the bottom of a lake I was fishing this weekend . Counted 5 or 6 In 4 or 5 holes . I don't know if it was die off from the long winter or non-survivors from being released . They were in a well fisher area .

Uh oh....does not sound good if you saw it in several holes.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Uh oh....does not sound good if you saw it in several holes.

This was 5 or 6 total fish . Not that many in each hole .

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2014, 05:00 PM »
This was 5 or 6 total fish . Not that many in each hole .

Right...just seemed odd that you said they were visible in different holes.  Would not seem likely to see them in different holes like that unless something was not quite right.  Were you marking, seeing or catching other fish that seemed like they were doing just fine?

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2014, 05:23 PM »
Ya was marking fish just fine bite was slow but it has been hit or miss in this area . I most times you can site fish this spot but with all the run off the water is murky right now . Most of the ones I was catching were small so that's why I got the cam out I was hole hopping with it and looking for the bigger ones .

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:47 PM »
Had some ice open up on the pond and we have big cats, crappie, and bluegill floating.  Doesn't look good at all!

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2014, 04:57 PM »
Did anyone fish or drill holes in any of said ponds? Just curious, my neighbor shoveled parts of his pond off as well as drilled holes from time to time, and so far no kill.  Might be to early to tell.

Offline pgaschulz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 25, 2014, 06:24 PM »
Did anyone fish or drill holes in any of said ponds? Just curious, my neighbor shoveled parts of his pond off as well as drilled holes from time to time, and so far no kill.  Might be to early to tell.
Always try to shovel the snow off it really helps

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:03 PM »
We did not on ours.

Offline Fishingdm1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Lots of dead fish at Huntington reservoir, in the pond behind the office off of 5!

Offline walleyedan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I live for ICE fishing!!!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2014, 09:23 AM »
I tried that pond when the ice was about 7" thick.  I only found one little hole that was 7' deep.  That is one of the 3 ponds that I had never fished before.  I'm hoping that my buddy back home checks the ponds out.  As I'm still out east for another week.  I'm afraid we are going to loose a couple of more over there.

Offline old noodle rod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 28, 2014, 01:51 PM »
Hey Fishing buddy,
      After talking to you I decided  I better check out my pond which runs from 8 to 12 foot deep. I walked all the way around since its now open, even with the wind blowing and clear water too see good. I did not see any dead fish whatsoever. Maybe skipped the bullet. I would sure think they would be floating by now if there was any dead.
      Larry called earlier and looks like we will be heading over to the ponds Sunday afternoon. I will keep in touch and look forward to fishing with you soon!!!
                                                                               Old Noodlerod

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 31, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Guy at work said he had a big kill.  Its too bad, lots of nice fish.  My pond is all open. No dead ones.  Windmill did its job.
Gator Nation

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 31, 2014, 11:41 PM »
Just seen this :http://www.wsbt.com/news/local/dead-fish-discovered-at-pike-lake/25259302
Gator Nation

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #20 on: Apr 01, 2014, 01:41 AM »
You should see the lake I live by, the whole place reeks of dead fish, heck even today I saw the Parks and Recs dept. come on over to the lake just to grab as many dead carp, bass, crappie, blue gill and catfish from the shoreline and there were still tons of dead fish floating in the water. Hopefully the carp population of my lake is trimmed down enough to help with the weed growth.
Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline Steveo4iu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Apr 01, 2014, 07:52 AM »
 I have a small pond about 14' deep, It has a lot of blue gill and big bass. I fished it a lot this winter and was marking tons of fish. About mid season it slowed down to where I was only marking a few, The ice came off a few days ago and I found one dead gill. I walked around the pond and noticed some holes in the banks of the pond. come to find out I have a Otter that took up residence in the pond over the winter, he was able to dig a hole under the ice and swim all winter. Im not sure if he is still around but I have a box trap set up just in cash, I was reading about otter and they say an otter can do a lot of damage in a short time on a small pond. Im keeping my finger crossed he didn't do a lot of damage.
Well, the sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Apr 01, 2014, 08:26 AM »
Surveyed my Fathers pond on Sunday. It appears that he has had a total fish kill on his 2 acre pond. Upwards of a thousand dead fish. Small, medium and large bluegills, catfish and bass. I saw no signs of life whatsoever and couldn't get a bite on a tiny jig and twister. Normally, I would have to beat them off with a stick after ice out and it didn't matter what you threw at them.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline aarogod

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Apr 01, 2014, 11:26 AM »
The ice is just about all off the pond I fish....It's approximately 4 acres but doesn't get any deeper than 4 feet anywhere....Checked it yesterday and no floaters but also saw ZERO fish swimming and in the past I can usually see at least 30-40 bluegill and bass swimming near the surface...Hoping they are staying under the ice that's still there but worried they might have died early in the season since it's so shallow and already be decomposed....No bad smells or anything

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.