Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Crystal Lake??  (Read 5981 times)

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
Crystal Lake??
« on: Mar 20, 2014, 02:26 PM »
Could anybody tell me if the edges are still ok, or do u need planks? Thanks!!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline Zugunruhe

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Crystal Lake??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2014, 02:58 PM »
From today's IDNR fishing report:

Crystal Lake
Ice thickness is still 30 inches. Anglers continue to fish the deep water or the edge of the dredge cut.  Bluegill - Good: Fishing seems to be fairly consistent. Bluegill fishing has been good using small jigs tipped with wax worms. Anglers report better success in the shallower water eight feet near the edge of the dredged basin.  Largemouth Bass - Fair: Some nice bass are being caught in 16 feet.  Crappie - Good: Crappie fishing has been fair using minnows at dusk in the deeper water near or on the drop-off of the basin.  Walleye - Slow: An occasional walleye may be taken using minnows in deeper water.

If I can get my auger running tonight, I may be headed that way tomorrow.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Thanks I saw that too; I get the emails every Thursday. Crystal has been basically the best fishing report around. I'm hoping that if the edges are shot, they would have mentioned it. I'm leaving at 5 am tomorrow. Gotta pick up gf at 4, so will b off ice by 2:00; going to miss that night bite on crappies. Prius is loaded w scout, gear, and auger. Just have to grab my minnows and bait, and I'm north bound:)

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2014, 10:37 AM »
So I'm real curious on how you are doing today and hope you give us all a shout out because I may take a trip up there but it's about a 4.5 hour drive for me.  I'd really like the hit the ice one last weekend before I give it up.  lol

Offline IowaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Thanks I saw that too; I get the emails every Thursday. Crystal has been basically the best fishing report around. I'm hoping that if the edges are shot, they would have mentioned it. I'm leaving at 5 am tomorrow. Gotta pick up gf at 4, so will b off ice by 2:00; going to miss that night bite on crappies. Prius is loaded w scout, gear, and auger. Just have to grab my minnows and bait, and I'm north bound:)

Did you happen to be there around 7:30 this morning in a black car?  Saw a vehicle that was unfamiliar to me (I live just south of Crystal Lake), saw ice fishing stuff ready to go on the ice, and a guy taking a picture of the famous "World's Largest Bullhead".

I'll be out tonight maybe, tomorrow morning for sure.  I was out last weekend, still plenty of ice.  No problems there.  I had no issues getting on and off but with yesterday and today being warm, we'll see what it brings.  I know it's supposed to cool off pretty good tonight and be in the upper 20's tomorrow and lower 30's on Sunday.  Probably have another week to get on and off the ice unless the sun beats it up really good.  Good luck to ya, I'll report back tomorrow on how we do.

Debating on waxies, maggots, or minnows.  We'll probably get all 3.  I think we are going to set up a tip-up or two as well for the first time just to see if we can get into something fun.  I know there are northern, walleye, and some nice large mouth roaming around in there.  Heck, I caught a 14" large mouth last time out, sure is fun on a 24" pole with 2lb test!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Bite was really good from 11-1 for me; got a mixed bucket of crappies and gils. Leaving now. Atv's are on the ice, just about bury your auger.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2014, 03:20 PM »
I was only one there at 7:30, my car is silver:)

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2014, 04:33 PM »
What was your take today?  How many did you take home and clean?  Debating to go early next week or hit the river. Pics.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2014, 04:56 PM »
Bite was fast and furious for me from 11-1. I arrived at 7:30, and left at 2 to pick up my gf on time. Kind of slow before that. I caught all of my fish on a palm rod w a pink/white fatboy jig(glow reds wouldnt work for me) or dead sticking a minnow on a small treble w a split shot, about 2 ft off of the bottom. Water clarirty was terrible, and my camera was useless. They should rename the lake,"Murky Lake" instead of Crystal.

Offline mjlenz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2014, 09:08 PM »
Those are cool pictures!  Have you been to the lake before?  How did you know where to go or did you just follow the tracks?  I have to work tomorrow but might head up there Sunday and was just looking for some hints.....lol!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2014, 02:15 AM »
Thanks! I went there two years ago once. I got a pm from a fellow ice shanty guy telling me to just go out to approx the same area I did, on my 1st trip there. Yea, I could see where guys were fishing, and a permie left black plastic tubes on the ice, which can be seen from the road. U find the deep dredge and then either fish it, or the transition from it to the shallows.

Offline Hobie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2014, 08:26 AM »
Nice to see you did well.  I like the pics but would love to see what the Prius looks like with all the gear in there.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 22, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Nice to see you did well.  I like the pics but would love to see what the Prius looks like with all the gear in there.
Thanks again for the PM:) the rear hatch area is so large, that my 6 rod box is laying down in front of the scout, and my flambeau storage box w flasher and camera is in top of the rod box. 2 five gallon buckets are upright in this pic, setting in the scout. One w minnows, and other w fish packed in auger slush. The rear floors aren't even being used, or front passenger floor or seat.

Offline Hobie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 22, 2014, 09:26 AM »
  You obviously have better organizational skills than I do.  I have trouble fitting all my stuff in the back of my F-150.  And by the looks of it you have all the stuff a guy needs on the ice.  Pretty sweet.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2014, 10:27 AM »
The clam scout tc scout fits perfect in there. I can also opt to leave the scout behind, and put my jet sled and my 12'X6' quick fish 6 if in it; if I'm taking a partner. If im fishing an hr or closer to home, I prefer to take my pickup, otter lodge, and four wheeler. I hate pulling a trailer, and strap my otter on the back of the hitch haul, and use 6 ft aluminum atv ramps that extend pass the hitch haul. I bring two 2x6 ramp boards, to easily pull my otter onto the hitch haul. I removed the front and rear guards on the hitch haul, after this pic was taken, so my otter just sits flush on the platform. Trailers suck, imo.

Offline tyke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2014, 11:43 AM »
ASATMiller, you must be an animal to pull all that. HEHE  If you don't mind me asking, how are your skis attached to your sled so it can be disassembled. Looks like something this old man needs. Thanks
jdj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2014, 01:23 PM »
A 6 yr old kid could pull this setup; pulls effortlessly with the ski setup. Do a search on here for "smitty sled". Notice the 2x6's laying upside down, with the long exposed bolts sticking up, next to the skis in the inside car pic. Those bolts are in two 2x6's that act as cross braces to tie the two skis together. There are two 2x6's, that are permanently mounted to the skis, and those 2x6's on the skis, have holes drilled through the top of them. The 2x6's that have the bolts sticking through them, are placed between the skis, and the bolts slide into the holes drilled into the 2x6's mounted on the skis. My smitty sled assembles this way, w no tools, and by simply lifting the cross braces off, it breaks down for easy transport. There are hundreds of these smitty sleds that ice shanty members have made here, from ice shanty member smitty, that showed these sleds to us. Your load glides like a breeze ;D

Offline walleyewarrior50595

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2014, 02:19 PM »
making the drive up to Crystal Lake right now . any advice?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2014, 02:27 PM »
You'll prob see others out there fishing. Head straight north of the bull head statue approx 300 yds out , I fished fairly close to some black plastic tubes a permie owner left behind.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 22, 2014, 02:30 PM »
thanks Don hopefully there's some more holes open still on account of my hand augerr situation haha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 22, 2014, 02:43 PM »
Plenty of holes that u can reopen w your foot, hand auger, or spud bar.

Offline tyke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 22, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Thanks ASAT. Everyone has their own design, and alot of good ideas. Well I guess I better get started so I get one done before next year. Thanks
jdj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 22, 2014, 04:51 PM »
You're welcome. You'll love your smitty sled. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 22, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Looks like I'll be giving it a shot in the morning (Sunday).  First time on this body of water for me.  I live about 2 hours away and plan to get there about 8:00am and fish till I get bored.   :)
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline DavidA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 23, 2014, 10:09 AM »
Huntindave, how about a update on how you did today.  I am planning on heading there tomorrow (Monday) morning and would like to know how the access was to get on the ice.  Never fished this one before either. Do I need to bring a plank?  How was the bite?  Pics?  You know we are curious! 
Some say ice season is over....I'm not going down without a fight!! 
Thanks
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.  Samuel Clemens

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23, 2014, 10:35 AM »
Bunch of people out right now, ice is thick and no problems so far getting on the ice. Good luck.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 23, 2014, 11:07 AM »
Access , fishing, and ice were all good last night :tipup:

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 23, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Huntindave, how about a update on how you did today.  I am planning on heading there tomorrow (Monday) morning and would like to know how the access was to get on the ice.  Never fished this one before either. Do I need to bring a plank?  How was the bite?  Pics?  You know we are curious! 
Some say ice season is over....I'm not going down without a fight!! 
Thanks

Ice conditions;  I went in at the Bullhead statue.  Solid ice all the way to the shoreline.  There was 28-30 inches of ice thickness.  Surface of the ice was honeycombed but still relatively strong.  I walked out (easy pulling as no snow cover) but did see two fourwheelers on the ice.

Fish report;  Only one crappie for me but several bluegills.  Bluegills ran 7.5-8.0 inches   They hit wax worms and also plastic tipped jigs.   Mostly a light bite that you hard to watch closely for, none of them hammered it.  Most of the gills were tight to the bottom but would hit when you raised the bait up away from them about a foot.  I fished water varying from 13 to 16 feet deep.  Moved several times but only in a small area.

Hope this helps you.   I plan to hit it again next Saturday.
take care,
Dave  :>)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2014, 07:56 PM »
All fish were in 17 ft when I was there. Iced probably 30 mediocre crappie. Half a dozen gills. All were suspended 2-10 ft off bottom. Think it'll hold til next saturday??

Offline DavidA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2014, 09:19 PM »
hey thanks for the good detail in the reports. Appreciate it.
Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.  Samuel Clemens

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.