Author Topic: Coldest winter in 30 years...but some HOT fishing.  (Read 1200 times)

Offline RJ

• IceShanty Rookie
Coldest winter in 30 years...but some HOT fishing.
« on: Mar 20, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Haven't posted here in a LONG time.....gonna change that methinks.

The coldest winter to hit Eastern Ontario in over 30 years, ya it sucked.   We had ice early and it never left so that was the silver lining.  Was it a challenge at times?  Darn right but we made the best of it.

The usual suspects came topside this past winter with a few new things thrown in the mix to keep it interesting. 

The Crappie bite was great early on probably stayed steady but other species pulled us away from that bite.  Having Chevy at the house led to a few impromptu texts.  “We fishin tonight?”  Often it was yes even if we only snuck out for a few hours.  Paydirt was usually found.

So close to 15…I swear that is the toughest fish to catch around here, a true 15 inch Crappie.

Only did Quinte once this year.  After the day we had I didn’t really want or need to go back…..when ya whack nearly 30 walleye in a day it’s tough to compare to….

Full report on this wild day is here: http://www.rjnbirdeesoutdooradventures.ca/?p=1357

Probably my favourite fish I landed this winter was this sucka.  Most people scoff at Panfish but until you target them regularly you don’t get an appreciation for a fish like this.  It fell just shy of the Ontario record but is still headed for my wall. 

Highlight day was one spent with our friends Darren and Sherry up in the Hills.  It’s a privately run area with their own stocking program so don’t be thinking this is a MNR stocked lake situation.  Though it does shed some light in my eyes as to what those lakes could potentially produce.  Incredible day of Rainbow fishing, just incredible.

Loads more pics from this day are in this report: http://www.rjnbirdeesoutdooradventures.ca/?p=1365

Spent two nights on the Ling…man they’re fun.

Lakers are always on my mind, whether on ice or the Lund I just love those big headshakes.  A truly majestic old fish that should be treasured in our area. 

Haven’t spent many days out on the chase but some quality fish have visited the topside for a few seconds…

More Laker Pics can be seen here: http://www.rjnbirdeesoutdooradventures.ca/?p=1392

File this one under the “It makes no sense” file…..while Crappie fishing I landed this….

Then while Laker fishing I landed this on a swimbait….

Bizarre but fun nonetheless.

Spring is here they say, I see at least 3 more weeks of safe ice fishing.  Pick your spots, stay away from current and have a blast in the sunshine as the weather finally warms…..

RJ

Offline Wingthing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JustJigIt
Re: Coldest winter in 30 years...but some HOT fishing.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2014, 01:20 PM »
What a return post that is brother! Some awesome fish love the trout & the slabs but that Gill is a monster! Hoping your right about the 3 weeks as I just got motivated to get back out on the ice!

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2014, 02:24 PM »
Welcome back RJ, Fish-hawk in open water IceShanty for the hard stuff!

Cool pics, love the laker on the micro tungsten.
@jzuliniak

Offline cff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2014, 07:29 AM »
Probably my favourite fish I landed this winter was this sucka.  Most people scoff at Panfish but until you target them regularly you don’t get an appreciation for a fish like this.  It fell just shy of the Ontario record but is still headed for my wall. 

Blue gill? That thing is a monster!

Offline Bigbassmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2014, 09:32 AM »
Awesome pics and an awesome season!!!!!

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2014, 09:37 AM »
wow am i envious of your year, absolutely incredible fish you have caught. SOMEDAY I will make it accross the border to fish.
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline RJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2014, 03:14 PM »
Thanks fellas!

Blue gill? That thing is a monster!

Pumpkinseed....

RJ

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2014, 07:36 AM »
 Reel good read !! Super pics !! Thanks for the post !!  And, WELCOME BACK !!  :woot: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline junobeans

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Enjoyed the pics thanks

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Excellent pictures!

WS

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2014, 09:22 AM »
That is an awesome Pumpkinseed!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.