Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Eskimo repair?  (Read 1346 times)

Offline Zugunruhe

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo repair?
« on: Mar 20, 2014, 11:58 AM »
My five year old Eskimo Stingray just plain quit when I last fished Big Creek two weeks ago- quit as in I had drilled a dozen or so holes in succession and on the 13th one it just quit.  No sputter, no slow loss of power, just quit.  Let it sit for a bit, tried starting again and with a lot of coaxing and nearly flooding it, got it to cut another hole before it quit again, same fashion.  This time I could not get it to restart at all.  Fast forward to last night, I got it out and tried starting again to no avail.

Three years ago I had a similar issue and found that the connector for the on/off button had come undone so I pulled things apart knowing that it was unlikely that this was the issue as I had soldered the connection in place.  Sure enough, everything right where it should be so now I'm stumped.  I didn't pull the spark plug but wondering if there might be an issue there as it is the original plug.

Anybody got any suggestions on where to start or know of someone in the Des Moines area that works on Eskimo small engines- I think this one is a Viper.

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eskimo repair?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2014, 12:35 PM »
Change the plug first and see if that remedies your problem.  If not, then contact a service center.

Offline mjmeyer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2014, 02:31 PM »
I've had the same problem with mine (a 4 year old Stingray 33 cc Viper engine). It would run fine, drill a dozen holes then quit like flipping a switch. I would prime it drill a few more then again, like flipping a switch, quit. I've been told (on here) it may be a pinhole in the diaphragm and that rebuilding the carburetor is in order. The kit is a little over $11 from Eskimo. I have not done mine yet but may do it before I sell it. I recently purchased the Z71 with considerably more power.
The plug would be a quick thing to rule out, though. At least examine it.
Mike
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline del

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2014, 06:09 AM »
If your're looking for small engine repair, I've had great luck with Beaver Mower (you just gotta love that name)  on Douglas.  They've been able to work on every small engine I've ever had trouble with.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2014, 06:22 PM »
If you don't feel up to tackling this yourself send me your number. I would be glad to take a look. Very likely the carb issue stated above. There are 3 things you have to have, compression, spark, and fuel. The rest is tuning.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2014, 09:18 PM »
Sounds electrical if there was no sputtering or bogging down. Pull your plug and see if you are getting spark. if not, try a new plug first (NGK BM6A) since you probably need a new one anyways. Then bypass your switch and see if that fixes it. If there is still no spark, then the next place is the coil.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2014, 12:13 AM »
If you don't feel up to tackling this yourself send me your number. I would be glad to take a look. Very likely the carb issue stated above. There are 3 things you have to have, compression, spark, and fuel. The rest is tuning.
There is 4 things you need, the one you forgot is timing. I have seen some shear the key in the flywheel(some flywheels it's actually part of the aluminum casting). If you want a colonoscopy take it to Beaver Mower! :o

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2014, 11:02 PM »
Way to stick me trico lol. I dont think his is a timing issue cause it restarted for him. I'm thinking fuel delivery myself.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Way to stick me trico lol. I dont think his is a timing issue cause it restarted for him. I'm thinking fuel delivery myself.
Toofuss, It could be a fuel problem especially if he has been using the ethanol fuel! The alcohol that is mixed with the gasoline reacts adversely to the rubber parts in the carb, fuel line etc. My best friend use to own the original Beaver Mower when it was on Beaver Avenue! It's definitely not what it use to be 15 years ago! :-\

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2014, 06:53 AM »
This guy is awesome on everything.

Naylor Service & Sales
2924 Willis Ave Perry, IA 50220
(515) 465-2248

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict