The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: April trout season.  (Read 1466 times)

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
April trout season.
« on: Mar 19, 2014, 09:18 PM »
If there is still ice on ponds like norton would it be legal to fish them with 8 tip ups?

Offline northernwhisper37

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: April trout season.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2014, 11:35 PM »
Nope closed trout season on Norton as of match 15.

Offline shippeevt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2014, 05:11 AM »
champlain trout season is still open right??
A bad day of fishing, is always better than a good day at work!

Offline Huntnfishvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:29 AM »
http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/fish_icefishing.cfm  according to the website there is no closed season for trout and salmon on lake champlain.

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2014, 07:42 AM »
If there is still ice on ponds like norton would it be legal to fish them with 8 tip ups?

Look at the definitions of Angling, versus Ice Fishing.

Angling

...provided that the person angling does not take fish through the ice, from the ice or from any object supported by the ice...

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2014, 07:44 AM »
I know it's closed now. But what about when trout arson re opens in April for rod and reel as there is still ice

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2014, 08:00 AM »
Trout waters are closed until  lakes open up.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2014, 08:04 AM »
Here we go again.  Little Brown Dog and I had this argument last year.  According to two different wardens, I called last year, as soon as trout season opens up in April you CAN fish Norton.  According to LBD you can not.  Since the Warden's are the ones writing the tickets I am going with what they have told me.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2014, 08:06 AM »
I am going if you are Taggin Out

Offline taggin out

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2014, 08:39 AM »
I'm going

Offline gogetthegaff

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2014, 11:09 AM »
Here we go again.  Little Brown Dog and I had this argument last year.  According to two different wardens, I called last year, as soon as trout season opens up in April you CAN fish Norton.  According to LBD you can not.  Since the Warden's are the ones writing the tickets I am going with what they have told me.
You can fish it, but only by angling (meaning you need to find open water). They put the kibosh to fishing through the ice during the regular trout season back in the late 70's.  I remember, because until they changed the law we made a few excursions to some back woods beaver ponds on the trout season opener that were still frozen and had great success on brookies through the ice. That was a lot of fun.
Ice fishing is a social activity that may occasionally be interrupted by the catching of fish.

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2014, 12:11 PM »
Norton is a table 2 body of water, and the only legal method for trout fishing is angling from the second Saturday in April to Oct 31st, with the exception that it is open to ice fishing from the 3rd Saturday in January to March 15th.  If it was open to ice fishing the second Saturday in April, it would say angling, ice fishing under the legal methods, like it does under other species listed in the same table.  In the definitions it defines angling as "fishing by means of hook and line in hand or attached to a rod, or by casting or trolling artificial flies, lures or baited hooks, provided that the person angling does not take fish through the ice, from the ice or from any object supported by the ice." 

If the wardens interpret Norton as being open to ice fishing the second Saturday in April, then the state needs to modify the regulation so it reads as such, or they have interpreted the law incorrectly (they are human, it can happen). 

You have to be very specific in your line of questioning, when looking for clarification on a regulation.  What you get for a response could be correct for your line of questioning, but not for what you were really looking to have answered.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2014, 02:15 PM »
So... It would be legal to cut a 8' wide hole through the ice, float in the middle sitting on an inner tube and jig off the side? But you probably can't cut a hole that big legally. 

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2014, 09:39 AM »

I didn't cay can't fish, I said you can't ice fish.

When you call the warden you better be specific on what you are asking.

"My biggest worry is that when I die, my wife will sell all of my ice fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it"

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • My fishing partner
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2014, 02:59 PM »
Funny, I just read this press release from the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department...

VERMONT FISH & WILDLIFE
Press Release

Delayed Spring Weather Changes Options for VT Anglers

Montpelier, Vt. — The late return of spring weather and persistent ice may alter the plans of some anglers this year.  While the winter weather extends opportunities for ice fishing on some water bodies, it can also delay anglers’ access to open water for the start of trout season.

Trout fishing season opens on April 12 this year, but on most waters in Vermont trout fishing is restricted to casting and trolling rather than ice fishing.  Anglers should take note that on rivers, streams, and lakes with seasonal closures, they may not cut a hole through the ice to go ice-fishing for trout during the open-water trout season.

Lake Champlain, however, is open to year-round trout fishing and it does not matter whether the angler is ice fishing or fishing open water.  Many other lakes and ponds are open to year-round fishing for species such as yellow perch and northern pike.  For a list of year-round fishing spots, see the Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department’s website, www.vtfishandwildlife. com.

“Late springs such as this one traditionally delay the onset of open-water fishing by a few weeks,” said Col. David LeCours, Fish & Wildlife’s head of law enforcement.  “But during these years, the ice fishing on lakes such as Champlain and Memphremagog remains good as long as the ice remains stable and safe.”

LeCours reminded anglers that ice shanties must have been removed by the last Sunday in March, even if the ice remains thick.  Temporary fabric wind shelters that remain with the angler are permitted.  He also urged anglers to check fishing regulations regarding which waters remain open to fishing year round. 

Anglers should proceed with caution and continuously check ice thickness and stability when walking out on ice.  Ice conditions have become dangerously thin in many parts of Vermont.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #15 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:43 AM »
I asked a "very reliable source" this question about Island Pond.... No you can not Ice fish when open water starts.... That is how I understood the conversation.
Chasing Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.