New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Opinion on Slot Limits  (Read 3046 times)

OneidaAngler

Opinion on Slot Limits
« on: Mar 19, 2014, 05:25 PM »
I strongly believe the state should implement slot limits on some of our lakes. I think they help make a trophy fishery and also a good eater fishery. For example, I think a good slot limit for walleye would be 12 to 18 inches and anything over 28 inches. I know they wouldn't be reasonable for some species/lakes but, I think they would be a useful tool in improving a fishery. Just my opinion, don't mean to start a fiery debate.  :whistle:

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
Re: Opinion on Slot Limits
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2014, 06:42 PM »
It's about the focus on the limits - is it for trophies, breeding populations (striped bass), protection of young, etc. and there has to be a certain adjustment period in between changes.  When a keep limit is 20" - arbitrary length - then you get a lot of 19.5" fish.  When do you bump the limit up to 25" so you can have a lot of 24.5" fish?

You follow?

So I think with a specific species you can use slots to effectively regulate and protect the breeders, you have to be able to cull the herd as well.  Striped Bass management can't seem to do it right, IMO.  There's a lot of (expensive) science that needs to happen in order for it to be done right - and that can sometimes depend on the specific water - general rules may not apply well...
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2014, 06:48 PM »
A 12" walleye?  And producing trophies?
We already have amazing walleye.
Oneida lake while not a size trophy fishery, its numbers wise one.
Ontario & Erie are trophy size wise, but not numbers.
Nothing can make a body of water here both.

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2014, 06:54 PM »

Well said

OneidaAngler

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:07 PM »

Maybe, but take Lake of the Woods, one of the best walleye fisheries in the world. Minnesota implements slot limits on it and it has a great fishery for all class sizes of walleye, eaters and trophies. The smaller walleye can take more pressure than the bigger ones. So, if more smaller walleye are kept it really doesn't matter because the mid range walleye, which are not kept, spawn and produce the new generation. The mid range walleye are then allowed to become trophies. So, in theory the the more reproduction that takes place the more walleye. Slot Limits are learned towards producing big fish but, I believe they can help make a dual fishery. Just my opinion, you have yours as well.

Offline beershanty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There'll be no quitters til we bag some critters!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:09 PM »
a slot limit every other year might be good too. give some fish a break for a season.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Lake of the woods is basically the 6th great lake.  You certainly can't compare that to Oneida.
Not trying to argue but thats apples and oranges.
Much like trying to say our kings & cohos don't compare to west coast fish.
They never will, its not the same.

OneidaAngler

« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:32 PM »
Lake of the woods is basically the 6th great lake.  You certainly can't compare that to Oneida.
Not trying to argue but thats apples and oranges.
Much like trying to say our kings & cohos don't compare to west coast fish.
They never will, its not the same.

What about Leech Lake? Slot Limits there, Great fishery. Only twice the size of Oneida. There are many other lakes in Minnesota the same size or smaller than Oneida which are great dual fisheries, they have slot limits. Why do you think Minnesota has such better fishing than New York? Not trying to argue either but, I like to get my point across. Don't get me wrong, Oneida is a great walleye fishery, probably the best in the state. But what other lakes do you hear about that have great walleye fisheries in New York? Not too many because they all have collapsed. Everywhere I have read about other walleye lakes in New York it is the same "it's not as good as it was 15 years ago" or "you don't catch them like they used to". It's because this state's waters are poorly managed. The state relies way too much on stocking where as slot limits promote natural reproduction. Yes you have a point about Ontario and Erie. I don't think you could implement regulations to improve the walleye fisheries there because that's the way they have always been. Big lake, big fish. But the smaller, walleye containing bodies of water here in New York could use some help.

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:40 PM »
but in order to get trophy size the lake has to to have plenty of food source to hold those type of fish

OneidaAngler

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:50 PM »
but in order to get trophy size the lake has to to have plenty of food source to hold those type of fish

Naturally but, most lakes that hold walleyes, hold enough forage to produce trophies. Keyword: most. I did not say all.  ;D

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Naturally but, most lakes that hold walleyes, hold enough forage to produce trophies. Keyword: most. I did not say all.  ;D
What you have to remember is they already do for their size and the other species in them.
The lakes in MN don't have some of the other fish we do.
As far as Oneida, as much as I love it, its not much more than a complicated oversized pond.
Average depth is 16' you're comparing it to lakes with average depths of triple digits.
While oneida has shoals these other lakes have a wider variety of structure.
It brings with it its own unique challenges not found anywhere else, yet also limitations not found anywhere else.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:10 PM »
If you think about it, Oneida has jumbo perch.  Why do they not quite equal the elephant perch on Seneca?

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Love the thought and enthusiasm from the next generation!  :clap:

OneidaAngler

« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Love the thought and enthusiasm from the next generation!  :clap:

Thanks, just getting involved with what I love. My opinion isn't easily changed though. ;D

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:27 PM »
I with you on slot limits. I fish Chautauqua for eyes and it just seems like the dec wants you to take the breeders. I think an 18" minimum is just insane. Tough throwing a 17" fish back after you just spent countless hours trying to catch one. On the other hand I also put back a pair of 29" females because I hope they make to spawn. I would like to see a 15" to 20" slot with one over 25". Not mad at the 3 a day limit either.

Offline Chowdaire

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2014, 08:39 PM »
I fish Oneida walleye almost exclusively and keep anything from 15"-23" when the freezer is getting low but tighten it to 16"-20" when I have a few bags in reserve. I wouldn't mind seeing an official slot limit but the good thing is if you believe you're helping out you can always do it yourself without the state changing anything (within the official regs, obviously).

Offline XxFISHN4EYEZxX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 20, 2014, 05:02 AM »
 if everyone released the walleyes that are over 20" for awhile we would have a lot more bigger eyes in there,  but like I said earlier I doubt that onieda would be able to hold trophy size eyes. Which brings up another question not to get off topic but what's your idea of a trophy walleye? Being that r state record is 16lbs  (I think )

Offline scottcny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 20, 2014, 05:13 AM »
OniedaAngler,
I grew up and learned to fish In Minn. Agree with you 100% first walleye I ever caught was on Mill Lacs, which has a slot I believe? Most lakes up there do and they seem to be doing well with 10x the fishing pressure we have on our lakes in NY.

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 21, 2014, 02:40 AM »
When its comes to big lakes such as Erie, I don't think a slot limit would matter. There are plenty of 'eyes in there. I can't comment on Oneida since I never fished there. But with lakes such as Chautauqua, I really believe a slot limit would help. The walleyes isn't what it used to be. Just because they stock yearlings doesn't mean they will all grow. To me, that's just glorified bait for the bigger game fish. That's just my theory and opinion. I agree with GameHog's  thoughts for size limits.
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Mar 21, 2014, 07:49 AM »

lots of great points but slots on Oneida don't think so reason being there is 4 generations of fish and they are very healthy , I last year including boat fishing had the best year in my life, and many of us toss back the over 20" fish you will never turn Oneida into a trophy fishery go to the hatchery and talk to them they will tell you , and I have fished this lake for over 30,yrs and my best fish is a 26.5", now far as big fish I and many fishing buds have tossed back many fish back in the low to mid 20,s , and in the past 2 years I have seen many more larger females in that class and that is about peek size for Oneida just my .02 and if you think they are being fished out this is just one stream don't try and fix what isn't broken , the state IMO is doing a swell job managing this lake

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2014, 08:19 AM »

click on walleyes and you will be surprised what you read

http://www.seagrant.sunysb.edu/OLI/olei-fish.htm

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 21, 2014, 09:26 AM »
I strongly believe the state should implement slot limits on some of our lakes. I think they help make a trophy fishery and also a good eater fishery. For example, I think a good slot limit for walleye would be 12 to 18 inches and anything over 28 inches. I know they wouldn't be reasonable for some species/lakes but, I think they would be a useful tool in improving a fishery. Just my opinion, don't mean to start a fiery debate.  :whistle:

Just my thoughts..

Not much to eat on a 12 inch Eye.  Keep bottom at 15 inches, that also assures at least one year to reproduce..
Walleyes are a fragile fish.Hauling a 22 or 24 inch Eye out of deep water just to release may may you feel good but I wonder what the survival rate might be ??
I could give a hoot about catching an Eye over 20 inches but sure would like to have my grandkids get a 24+ inch fish..
As much as I would like to see an imposed slot my gut feeling is they are doing a good job of managing the Eye population even if it is far below the much higher #`s of the 80`s..   After reading the article that states fishermen are the largest predator, I expect all the technology has made better fishermen out of all of us.,.. Also think probably that "largest predator" statement is for fish over a given size ??  They are managing the lake for quantity and not quality (nothing wrong with a healthy, 18 inch eye)... 
After reading the resat of the posts  Just want to say..
Think the average depth of the lake is closer to 22 ft than 16..
As for freezing fish.  I never freeze them. If I catch some I eat them fresh, If I catch fish 2 days in a row I may give some to friends but always ready for the pan.. NEVER give away whole fish. 90% of the time they are put in the refrigerator, the next day they are a little slimy (natural thing) and get tossed..
Just some ramblings of an old man...   43 days and we will be chasing them again...  Lets just hope for another good crop in 2014...   Have a great day...

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Mar 21, 2014, 04:37 PM »
I would like to see a slot size on champlain because dec dropped the ball years ago by letting the eyes get hammered during the spawn. in both new York and Vermont . south bay hasn't recovered from the paddling that was done in the spawning brooks and the thousands of females removed before they could reproduce. ask any old timer from whitehall what it was like years ago when 1 boat would be full of walleyes from a night of paddling. 

Offline FISHN NIK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 23, 2014, 02:13 AM »
You guys are looking at this all wrong,a slot limit is to keep the mature females in the lake not to grow trophies.Slow growing fish like eyes and lake trout should have a slot limit because it takes 5 to 6 or more years just for these fish to get to spawning age,there not like panfish or other fish that mature their 1st or 2nd year.In order to get consistant trophies you need big water like the Great Lakes along with habitat and food.To compair Oneida to Erie is silly.the hatchery at Oneida breeds the walleye and fills the lake while Erie is all natural,If you want larger fish in Oneida you need to stop stocking that lake and have less but larger fish,Idon't think anyone that fishes Oneida would want that.

FN

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #24 on: Mar 23, 2014, 12:30 PM »
I think that slots are good,every body of water is different and so is every fish type
let us use the people that know[D.E.C] to do what is RIGHT ,most of the biologist
in D.E.C. know what is right for the fish.look what they have done for the brookies
this is just  my opinion,but I have seen the brookies go from ZIP to 6lb. in my life time
this GREAT
I love fishing
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Im a fan of slot limits.. There are many lakes and streams they should be implemented on for other species.. Ive read about about many trophy fisheries that have come about as a result of a slot limit being put in place.. That said, dont be fooled by the hatchery being there and them saying they stock over 100million fry every year in the lake.. The place is a natural hatchery and the state sells the bulk of those fry to other states, If they removed the hatchery from the lake the fish population probably wouldn't skip a beat but the states monetary benefit would... That tied in with the fact that Oneida is a fishing destination spot in the northeast for eyes it just doesnt make CENTS to put a slot limit on it...

Just my thoughts..

Not much to eat on a 12 inch Eye.

No different than a 12 inch perch.. They're the same fish basically...

Not that i would be for a 12" limit, im just saying.. ;)

TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:01 PM »

one year they did lower the size limit to 12" due to the over abundance of eyes ,bet  Oldtimer remembers that  ;)

OneidaAngler

« Reply #27 on: Mar 23, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Im a fan of slot limits.. There are many lakes and streams they should be implemented on for other species.. Ive read about about many trophy fisheries that have come about as a result of a slot limit being put in place.. That said, dont be fooled by the hatchery being there and them saying they stock over 100million fry every year in the lake.. The place is a natural hatchery and the state sells the bulk of those fry to other states, If they removed the hatchery from the lake the fish population probably wouldn't skip a beat but the states monetary benefit would... That tied in with the fact that Oneida is a fishing destination spot in the northeast for eyes it just doesnt make CENTS to put a slot limit on it...

No different than a 12 inch perch.. They're the same fish basically...

Not that i would be for a 12" limit, im just saying.. ;)

Yeah anyway New York can get it's hands on some money they're all for it.  :-\

Offline trkyhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jul 07, 2014, 05:49 PM »
What about slots for crappie? I personally do a slot spring fishing as there is no season to let them spawn. They are a prolific fish so why not keep mature breeders that strengthen the gene pool. Just my opinion and 2 cents.
Yes Virginia....Santa does ice fish

OneidaAngler

« Reply #29 on: Jul 23, 2014, 06:20 PM »
I hardly ever freeze fish. Have to eat it fresh. Many others are like that too. But here is what gets me; people are so opposed to slot limits cause they want to keep every good sized fish for the table. Personally, I'd rather catch fish than eat fish. There's no way you could live off the fish you catch so why keep every fish that's legal? Then there's the people who say they already let go the bigger fish, so why not support slot limits if you're already doing what they would enforce??? Sure some lakes wouldn't be good for slot limits, but most would benefit greatly. The more natural reproduction that occurs, the less the state has to stock and spend money. I think the biggest problem is that people are stubborn and afraid of change, even if it will be beneficial.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.