Author Topic: An excellent fish recipe - do you have one to try?  (Read 4233 times)

Offline brokeinNYS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
An excellent fish recipe - do you have one to try?
« on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:55 AM »
A neighbor passed this recipe on to me about two years ago and its been my first choice since.  Modifications can be made but try this one if you can.
Using fillets of perch crappie or blue gills (my favorite) -
   Dip the fillets in egg - next roll them in fresh Italian breadcrumbs - then place the fillets in hot oil about a 1/4 inch deep - salt and pepper - then I spoon on a couple teaspoons of a Romano Cheese called (grated) Pecorino prior to turning them for frying the other side. Fry until golden done and enjoy.
   Tip on the frying - I've gotten to where i use only Olive Oil in all my cooking including baking, making popcorn or what ever.
   Another tip - use a little corn meal - not much in the bread crumbs.
   If frying isnt desirable - do almost the same thing in a baking dish using the bread crumbs - cheese - salt and pepper.
Love to hear other recipes for preparing fish - but try the above.  Also try to keep from laughing when you ask the store clerks if they have grated - pronounced Peck- er-reno cheese.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: An excellent fish recipe - do you have one to try?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2005, 07:41 AM »
My fav mix for Fish or Pork chops is....

Take your favourtie box of croutons and either run them thru your food processor or use a rolling pin and turn them into crumbs. Depending on how crunchy you like them you can leave the croutons chunky or fine grind them

bath the fillets in either  buttermilk or an egg wash..then roll them in your croutons

throw in a little salt and cracked pepper...and some finly chopped fresh Dill..

I fry them in either a mixture of oil and butter or bacon grease..

Enjoy

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2005, 10:33 AM »
Agreed! same thing with butter, but I love the flavour so I usually mix my butter in with oil, to keep the flavour without burning the butter under the high heat..

Olive Oil is also very rich (not to mention expensive) to fry with. Although perfect for every day cooking

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2005, 11:30 AM »
I fry my fish 99% of the time....dip fillets in milk and egg, then dust in flour, back in milk and egg, then in cornflake crumbs, then deep fry...wowza....its a great coating, not too overpowering.  I make my own tartar, chopped up onions, dill pickles, mayo, a little vinegar and a little sugar to taste..slice of rye bread, some slaw...now im hungry!! 

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:32 AM »
My better half keeps a large ziplock full of fry mix that includes whatever is in the
cupboard.  A combination of flour, pancake mix, Drakes, seasoned Italian breadcrumbs, Crushed cornflakes, crackers, or potato chips and season salt.  The coarser
ingredients keep the skinless fillets up out of the hot oil, especially crappies as they tend to soak up oil when rolled in just flour.  Pretty much the same frying method as
everyone else: no olive oil, part butter for flavor, and grated Parmesan is nice.
  For walleye try a marinade of Italian salad dressing, then breading including grated
cheese.  Bake and enjoy.  God this is making me drool.  Guess I'll have to get some
fish out for dinner.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2006, 09:35 AM »
Need some help here -
My wife never knows how long to cook bluegill fillets. The result is I eat a lot of bluegill chips. Sometimes they turn out good but I just wish I could tell her X number of minutes per side on the average so she has something to go by.
 ???

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline walleye1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2006, 12:15 PM »
LOL @ Bluegill chips!  ;D Tell your wife they should be just a nice golden brown. There's really no set time per side as the thickness of the fish will vary. With most panfish filets you don't want to cook them more than 3-4 minutes total. They actually continue to cook after you take them out so you don't want to overdue them. Good luck and I hope this helps you get some filets with some moisture left in them. ;)   

Offline theProfessor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2006, 12:58 PM »
Lobes,

time for YOU to start cooking the bluegills, problem solved!

cheers
jerry
"Gilligan, where did you get that stick?"

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I might as well. Since I haven't been able to fish I'm cooking home made spaghetti sauce today. Topping the meal off with home brewed Porter. In my house spaghetti and beer go together like soup and sandwich.

Offline theProfessor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2006, 09:07 AM »
Cool,

i used to brew quite a bit, until the doctor told me alcohol on special occasions only. my wife has been enforcing that :(

porter is a great style, i never quite got what i wanted in one though.

cheers
jerry
"Gilligan, where did you get that stick?"

Offline BillP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2006, 09:32 AM »
when i cook trout or perch I just gut them and make a garlic butter mixture.. by taking soft butter and garlic and mixing it up then take that mixture fill the inside of the trout or perch wrap in tin foil and throw it on the grill it is awesome. I prefer to do this with perch because it taste a little better but trout is good. Hope you enjoy  :)
Fishing + Hunting + guitar = MY LIFE!!!!!

Fish on
Bill

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2006, 10:57 AM »
Don't get me wrong though, the bluegill chips are really good. It's a variation similar to jerky. Obviously roast beef is a better meal than beef jerky, but jerky is a real good snack. If you catch a lot of gills, try this they are good while you're out there in the shack. You just can't beat the flavor of fresh bluegill properly cooked though. I mainly prefer it not to be a surprise!
 :tipup:

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2006, 09:58 AM »
Cool,

i used to brew quite a bit, until the doctor told me alcohol on special occasions only. my wife has been enforcing that :(

porter is a great style, i never quite got what i wanted in one though.

cheers
jerry

If we ever get good ice around here we may need to hitch up so I can give you a sample (I would make it a small one to help preserve your health and safety from your wife). I have this porter down to a science. You can't buy any like this anywhere, very smooth flavor and zero after taste. It helps being a third generation brewer. My grand father came here from Germany as a master brewer. He made his living suppying the mob in Detroit during prohibition, until the long arm of the law caught up with him anyway.
Main ingredient in a good porter is extreme patience. It gets smooth on it's own schedule. And that varies with only slight changes in temperature while fermenting and clarifying. Takes about five months for one 2 1/2 ballon batch. That's why I keep four batches going at a time. 

:tipup:

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2006, 04:33 PM »
If you know anyone from the south have them send you some Everglades Seasoning. Its great on everything from fish to chicken, pork, beef, salads <eh?> 
I'm old school with my fish, some butter and a little oil in the bottom of frying pan. Get a bag of plain white flour and Seasonings to taste, I use the Everglades and some pepper, then put the semi-wet fillets in the bag, shake, and throw em' in the pan. Flip when firm. Then they usually go from the drying towel to my mouth...I can't remember the last time I had to dirty a plate eating fish....

If I want to give them a little different texture, I'll use hushpuppy mix instead of flour.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline mmb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "What do you do with all the ice you catch?"
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Resurect an old thread.

Instead of bread crumbs, we use flavored potato chips, sour cream and onion most often.

Crush chips into fine crumbs.  Dry fish and dunk in melted butter.  Roll in crumbs.  Bake on foil lined cookie sheet @ 450° for no more than 10 minutes.

Yum! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.