The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: storing augers  (Read 1358 times)

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
storing augers
« on: Mar 17, 2014, 08:17 PM »
wondering your guys opinions on storing you augers is it better to store with a little fuel and stabilizer in the tank or run them dry for storage been told both ways

Offline shawdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: storing augers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2014, 08:31 PM »
I've done both with good results.  If you store it with fuel I would suggest using non-ethanol fuel plus stabilizer.  If you have fuel with ethanol than put some stabilizer in and run it dry.  I'm no expert by any means though with small engines.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2014, 03:26 AM »
I store mine with stabilizer in the fuel & haven't had any issues so far.

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2014, 08:18 AM »
What stabilizer do you use spitz?

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2014, 11:50 AM »
STA-BIL.....I just put about an ounce in the tank, shake it up a bit, run it for 5 minutes, & then hang it on the garage wall until next season.

Offline elksavy96

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2014, 12:00 PM »
I have been told that it is way harder on them to store them without fuel in them. I have been using the premixed gas and they claim that you do not need to drain the fuel because it already has a stabilizer in it.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Storing empty elevates the chance of corrosion from air moisture. Airplanes are always left with full tanks for that reason. Leave fuel in with Stabil..... wouldn't ever count on there being any form of stabilizer in gasoline bought from any source. I use Stabil in everything and have never had an issue. Engines fire right off next season.

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2014, 01:11 PM »
I have propane now, but I always left fuel with Sta-bil for off season. Years ago I would run it dry, but I always had leaky gaskets at the beginning of the season the next year.

Offline SKIFFLAKEJIMMY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 18, 2014, 01:23 PM »
My Strike Master manual says to put stabilized fuel in and start it every 30 days. Other recommendation they say is to put stabilized fuel in it and run it dry. My outboard mechanic, quad mechanic and generator mechanic all tell me run em dry if they are gonna sit more than a WEEK!!! I learned the hard way with my 3.5 hp Merc.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2014, 03:19 PM »
Thanks guys that was my concern about running them dry was wrecking gaskets but had some people that say it is still better to run them dry I do use non ethanol fuel to

Offline jake1986

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Only my 2 cents but I have a friend who is an expert in small engines and, in my mind, a mechanical genius.  He advised me to use the Stihl Motomix on all my engines for storage (and everyday operation if you want to pay it).  Otherwise, I was advised to use the STihl 2 cycle (mixed 50:1) with the Briggs and Straton fuel stabilizer.  Reported as the absolute best when it comes to diaphrams, etc.

Offline curdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2014, 06:04 PM »
I acuttally switched to the motomix got hard to find non ethenol

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2014, 08:31 PM »
VP Small Engine Fuel.  Best there is, you get what you pay for.  Pre-Mixed, 94 octane, quality oil, blended for long term storage... Fill the tank, run it for a couple minutes, store it.

Lots of info on here just search "SEF 94"  Snappys in Kalispell has it.

Mike
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2014, 10:10 PM »
I always have stabilizer in the fuel, year round.

I run mine dry, then put fogging oil in the cylinder.

Offline MTFishBoy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Addicted to fishing…& committed to my addiction!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 29, 2014, 11:24 PM »
I strongly agree with the Stihl Motomix solution. I hate to spend $8.00 for a quart of fuel but, I've found this stuff to be the best way to store for long periods of time. I use it exclusively in my auger and now use it in all my seasonal equipment. You can even use the Motomix in 4 cycle engines (i.e., generators) without any harm. I still like to start my sitting engines once in awhile just to keep the fuel flowing and the parts operating.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.