New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Crossed a couple off the bucket list  (Read 1517 times)

OneidaAngler

Crossed a couple off the bucket list
« on: Mar 17, 2014, 04:21 PM »

Got my first brown through the ice at 21 inches

Also got my first burbot. My curiosity got the best of me and I took it home and threw it in the frying pan. It had great flavor but it was really chewy.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
Re: Crossed a couple off the bucket list
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2014, 04:58 PM »
nice job on both fish man. Love that brown trout
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:09 PM »
You look too young to have a bucket list. Lol.

Nice catch

OneidaAngler

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:11 PM »
You look too young to have a bucket list. Lol.

Nice catch

Haha. It's my fishing bucket list. Thanks

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:33 PM »
Haha. It's my fishing bucket list. Thanks
Might as well start early. You got me beat so far, and you look 20-25 yrs younger than me. Lol

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:34 PM »
Never would have thought you were that young! Great job.  I know guys 3times your age that haven't crossed both those off the list.
Only question what are you gonna chase 30 years from now? At this rate you'll be done with the list by 30.
 :clap: :clap:

OneidaAngler

« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Never would have thought you were that young! Great job.  I know guys 3times your age that haven't crossed both those off the list.
Only question what are you gonna chase 30 years from now? At this rate you'll be done with the list by 30.
 :clap: :clap:

Fishing is my addiction. I say it's a pretty good one compared to other things people my age are addicted to.

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:50 PM »
Fishing is my addiction. I say it's a pretty good one compared to other things people my age are addicted to.
right on man right on  ;D
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2014, 05:56 PM »

I like it, but I'll warn you now, don't take up golf-that addiction will mess up your fishing time!!  You're a good man youngster..

Offline Daddyrainbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:20 PM »
Great looking trout. Congrats!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:23 PM »
OneidaAngler,  "Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young." - Theodore Roosevelt,

Nice fish!  :thumbsup:

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:24 PM »
I like it, but I'll warn you now, don't take up golf-that addiction will mess up your fishing time!!  You're a good man youngster..

Bad day fishing is better than a bad day of golfing. Maybe. Ya, don't get into golf. Too frustrating. I had a membership for years and got burnt out playing 180 holes a week. Too expensive too. Get a lifetime license and you're set for life.

Offline ice tripper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ice tripping all over the capital region for 30yrs
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Congrats nice pics

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Bad day fishing is better than a bad day of golfing. Maybe. Ya, don't get into golf. Too frustrating. I had a membership for years and got burnt out playing 180 holes a week. Too expensive too. Get a lifetime license and you're set for life.

Golf is only frustrating if you keep score!! Once you get "old", actually golf is pretty cheap. A lifetime fishing license is only a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of boats, fish finders, cameras, power augers, ice shanties, trailers, machines, lures, etc., etc.  Bottom line, do what you want, and the heck with the details!! Lol-cya ..

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Stick with fisnin.. If you go fisning and having a bad day , you can go home and do something elseOr just kick back and wait it out... If golfing, you find out it is a bad day and you are on the 3rd Tee. You still have all morning to deal with it or blow the green fees..

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:04 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao:
Stick with fisnin.. If you go fisning and having a bad day , you can go home and do something elseOr just kick back and wait it out... If golfing, you find out it is a bad day and you are on the 3rd Tee. You still have all morning to deal with it or blow the green fees..
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:lmao ;D
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2014, 04:08 PM »
Fishing is a good addiction until you are married with 3 toddlers.......I used to fish 5 days a week and now get out Sunday mornings for 4 hours if I'm lucky.  Get it in while you can, at least I can definitely say I did but still miss those years

Offline papacoondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • love the lakers
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2014, 04:20 PM »
great looking trout ;D

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2014, 04:36 PM »
You can change things around on your "list" so that instead of saying "I want to catch a brown trout" you can then say "I want to catch a brown trout from a kayak, or ona fly, or (and this is where the addiction sets in) catch one on a fly you tied yourself"!

A bucket list shouldn't be a list of things to mark the "end" of ypu life, but rather an extension on it.

It's kind of like New Year's Resolutions....Everyon e makes them and everyone breaks them.....except me.
Why me? Because years ago I made a change to the New Year's resolution scenario, something that put me in more control of my success or failure.

Here it is: I make a resolution to do something, ANYTHING this year that I haven't done before.

That's it.  Instead of making a promise NOT to do something for an entire year (and end up failing before the month is up) I give myself an entire year in which to succeed.
It's as simple as picking ANYTHING you want, as long as it's something new, and VIOLA'.....you've succeeded!
Try a new food...SUCCESS
Set a personal fishing goal (catch a brown trout)....SUCCESS
Get your first kayak or kayak fish.....SUCCESS

It's just that easy.

You can encorporate your "bucket list" into the mix and kill 2 birds with 1 stone each year.

Anyway, that's enough "philosophy" crap.....NICE FISH!!!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2014, 05:40 PM »
Bucket list?  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:  I have buckets older than you. ;D   Good job on your firsts.  Take advantage of every opportunity you can but don't obsess on any.  Life has a way of making things happen in their own time.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:45 PM »
Beautiful Brown! They're my favorite!  ;D. The Burbot is very interesting, nice markings! Congrats on your success!

MK

OneidaAngler

« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:55 PM »
Beautiful Brown! They're my favorite!  ;D. The Burbot is very interesting, nice markings! Congrats on your success!

MK

Thanks, Jager. I'm really getting hooked on them too, literally. I must give you some credit, I read some of your old posts on them and applied your advice. Thanks again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.