Author Topic: Propane Augers?  (Read 2749 times)

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
Propane Augers?
« on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Mornin all.  I know it's been discussed and reviewed upon before but, now that the augers have been on the market a while now, I'm really considering buying up to one.  Would love some feedback from anyone with the new models or those that have had them for a while now.  Pro's and cons' please and thanks for you help everyone and best of luck with the rest of your season. :)

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Propane Augers?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:45 PM »
got the jiffy pro 4,great auger except for the plastic parts,I am happy with it.

Offline shippeevt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2014, 12:46 PM »
got the jiffy pro 4,great auger except for the plastic parts,I am happy with it.
yup i agree broke my throttle lever yesterday  :-\
A bad day of fishing, is always better than a good day at work!

Offline ff318

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2014, 01:33 PM »
I have a gen 2 pro 4. I have had it all season always ran well in all temps. but in cold temps it did take a minute for it to warm up. I can say I have over 200 holes on one bottle of propane. ya it has plastic parts. The throttle lever is the known to brake and the pro 4 is also known for being heavy. You just have to ask yourself troubles you want why you buy anything I will take heavy and reliable any day of the week. My only observation is cheek the oil. a byproduct of propane burning is water. I have had to change the oil in my auger three times this season due to heavy use.
flag em and tag em

Offline kevineng

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2014, 01:35 PM »
Love mine, second season using it.  I had it fall off the back of my sled a couple times, nothing broke, guess I got lucky in not breaking plastic parts.  I'll admit the throttle does look weak and easily breakable.
  Only one time did it not start, -25 out, the bottles don't work well when its that cold.  Grabbed a "warmer" bottle, warmer as in I laid it direct sunlight for 5 minutes to soak up some rays, and then it started right up.  If putting on the back of sled or ATV like I do, get a cover for it, it'll keep the snow and slush out of the carb.
  I personally will never own another gasoline model.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2014, 01:49 PM »
yup i agree broke my throttle lever yesterday  :-\
mine broke also,my fault lol,new part plus cable 20 bucks.

Offline shippeevt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2014, 01:53 PM »
mine broke also,my fault lol,new part plus cable 20 bucks.
i think im gonna fab one up out metal!
A bad day of fishing, is always better than a good day at work!

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Thanks guys for the feedback.  Thinking long and hard and more than likely will have one for next season.

Offline cowboytrevor21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:25 PM »
Definitely worth it. I have the newest gen pro 4 and its amazing only one day this season it wouldnt start my propane tank was frozen with windchill it was only -50 lol. But let her warm up for a few seconds then give it h3ll. Lol. Great augers and worth the money and easy to get parts if need be

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2014, 02:39 PM »
I have an old Jiffy Model 30 that I had for 15 years, and never had a problem, but I really hated getting that fuel mix on my hands the first thing every trip when I opened the vent on the gas cap! I had a buddy tell me about a Jiffy Pro4 that he got to use, and when I won some money in a tourney I decided what the hell? I love that Pro4. It's so much quieter, and drills like a beast. No more fuel on my hands, and starts so easy I can't believe it. The plastic parts don't worry me, I'm pretty careful with my gear. I went with the Pro4 over the lite model just because of the physics involved. More weight means quicker and easier cutting. I don't think you'd be disappointed!  ;)

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:59 PM »
I've always wondered, do propane augers smell like a forklift? ;D
-Tom

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2014, 12:47 PM »
I've always wondered, do propane augers smell like a forklift? ;D
I can smell a little exhaust, but it's not much, and it's for sure way less than the two stroke mix exhaust.

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2014, 01:02 PM »
I have had my pro4 for 3 full seasons now.... the only con is weight. PA doe's not allow any type of machine on the ice so you have to walk / pull everything and alot of snow sucks with the extra weight. Have never had any issues with it not starting but it hasn't been bellow -5 much here. I have gotten around 150-175 holes out of a bottle of propane and like the others have said... they cut like a dream.
Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #13 on: Mar 18, 2014, 03:52 PM »
has anyone ever thought about the ease of converting a jiffy gas to propane. It used to be done with vehicles ...all the time. mmmmmm ..i could call mine the jiffy model 30P

Offline icedd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2014, 03:58 PM »
All I can say is there great

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #15 on: Mar 18, 2014, 04:58 PM »
   Like what I'm hearing. I'm debating on the propane vs. electric or possibly the Honda 4 stroke. I can't stand a gas auger that leaks gas onto my equipment and my hands. And noise level is a huge consideration. Are any of the manufactures introducing new models for next year? Propane seems to have some huge advantages. What to do...what to do?

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 18, 2014, 06:10 PM »
I have a friend that knows this guy that said that Eskimo may come out with a propane model auger next year. Not sure if it is just hear say.
Electric augers have made great advancements in the past few years but until they start to cut a 10" hole I cannot consider getting one. And then there is the cost of purchasing a new battery every few years or so. I do like the concept of electric augers though... eliminates a lot of moving parts and the possibility of those parts malfunctioning. Don't have to worry whether it will start or not.
3rd year with my Pro4 and although I'll stop short of saying it is great... it is a good compromise for not having to transport a gas auger in an SUV. My biggest gripe is that there is a significant power loss when it is -20*F. Anything around 0*F+ and it is sweet.
It must be something in the water.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:40 PM »
I don't think the 4 strokes are all they are made out to be. The advantage they have is they are quieter. They still smell like gas, they still have fumes, and not mixing gas is not an advantage. I think it takes me all of 10 seconds to mix gas in a can that will last all season. I would much rather mix gas than change oil. If nothing else, 4 stroke augers are too new to the market to buy one yet IMO. I would wait a few more years, and see what problems you will have. The propane augers seem to be really cool. They are quieter, no gas leaking, and start easy. I think a propane auger would be better than the 4 strokes they are coming out with. For me, I will never give up my 2 stroke. Simple, powerful, and the smell is to die for. ;D That un-even, popping idle gets my adrenaline going, and thoughts go to racing. If you don't like the sound and exhaust of an auger in your fish house, I'd look into electric augers. They are all you need if you only drill a few holes to open up the wheel house. They are nearly silent, no smell, and require almost no maintenance. Thats my thoughts anyway. :icefish:
-Tom

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Apr 02, 2014, 12:08 PM »
I've been looking into getting a propane auger.  It'd be nice if someone came out with some competition for the Jiffy's. 

Has anyone had any complaints about their propane auger?  I hear all the good, I want to know the bad.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:47 PM »
 If nothing else, 4 stroke augers are too new to the market to buy one yet IMO. I would wait a few more years, and see what problems you will have.

The Strikemaster (StrikeLite) 4 stroke has been out 6+ years.
If you wait a bit longer there will probably be a Nuclear or solar powered unit.
Leave Some For Seed

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2014, 09:29 PM »
They are still working bugs out of 4 stroke auger, but at least by now you know what to expect. I still don't know why you would want one with the great electric augers coming out. Obviously you can buy what you want, but the ion is a great auger. An electric is superior to a 4 stroke in quietness, and a 2 stroke beats a 4 stroke in power and simplicity. Still, it seems you really can't go wrong.
-Tom

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2014, 02:50 PM »
Until electric augers are made in 10"... serious anglers won't even consider the purchase of one.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Dakota Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fisherman walk on water
« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2014, 02:58 PM »
There isn't anything like firing up my 2-stroke model 30 jiffy and letting it rip. It works like wet leaves on a camp fire smokes out all the wanna be's from my fishing hole ;D

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Second season of using my 10". I miss the rat a tat of the 2 stroke, but overall very happy with the propane version.

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2014, 05:12 PM »
This is my third season with my pro 4.  I never had one problem and it cuts ice like a charm.  The weight isn't a real issue but the lite pro just came out.  I did have two cycle augers in the past and always had the typical problems with gas and carborators.

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #25 on: Apr 04, 2014, 05:45 PM »
PROPANE RULES THE WORLD !!
Mr.Esox

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #26 on: Apr 05, 2014, 09:37 PM »

X2 on the ice build up on the bottom! I've fired mine up at -15F...it fired up on the 3rd pull and cut like a champ! You gotta let it warm up a little...

I have had the throttle stick on it...I shot some dry graphite down the cable sleeve and it never happened again ....

I think they kinda do have a forklift smell...not much. Still better then smoking out my shack with a 2 stroke!

I also love NOT having to deal with a gas can spilling in the sled, setting the unit down a certain way so it doesn't leak.... Overall, I am very happy with my Jiffy Pro 4, good investment!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Until electric augers are made in 10"... serious anglers won't even consider the purchase of one.

LOL, serious anglers realize a 10" is only luxury. Still there are some 10" electric options. The only one I can think of is an ice gator. I've heard of people adapting the ion to work with a 10" too.
-Tom

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #28 on: Apr 21, 2014, 08:08 PM »
I bought my pro 4 for this year after my niles let me down. Got a 8", plenty big enough for me. I love it. I left the bottle on since mid march and put it away yesterday. 2 pulls and she was running. I unhooked the bottle and put it away for the season. Im looking forward to next winter to rip some more holes!  ;D

Offline clarky76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Apr 28, 2014, 07:00 AM »
I used one of the Ice Gator electric augers last year. Worked great. I charged in in the beginning of the season, used it all year. Anyone else tried one?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.