The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Canyon Ferry Update  (Read 1662 times)

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Canyon Ferry Update
« on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:52 PM »
Fished south of Silos' from 6:15 AM till 5:00 PM.  Required planks to get onto ice.  Ice was 15" but shoreline has pulled away.  Took a bath when it came time to leave (up to my knees in water).  Most people left B4 me so I'm unsure whether they got wet.  Football field size open water by marina and south of Christmas trees.  Can't imagine anyone getting onto the ice tomorrow without super long planks but if they do, getting off will be a cluster *#*@.  My season is done . . don't enjoy wading to shore, then driving home wet.  Oh, caught some nice fish which was the only redeeming factor.  All in all, great season on the ice.

Offline mt.perchman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • big perch hunter !
Re: Canyon Ferry Update
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Glad you made it out safe slickice!
Im not into bringing planks with me to fish ...
next year sounds good to me.
Dreaming of a full bucket.

Offline frozenout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2014, 07:53 AM »
Im thinking a raft to get on...done for this year unless Hebgen. Over 30 in of ice with slush!

Offline bigskygal1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Three of us went to Hellgate on Friday evening and it was gated closed, so we went to Confederate.  We fished off the point and the water is extremely muddy.  Never got a bite, but there was over 15 inches of ice.  Cracks are pulling away from each other and some had 4-5 inches of water between.  Rumor has it the trout are biting below Canyon Ferry Dam.

Offline Skalkaho

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Retired Timber Faller
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2014, 03:24 PM »
We use my 20' extension ladder opened to 16'. Plenty of ladder on the ice for stability, afew rocks on shore to keep it firm. Our Frabble commando's bottom  grooves fit perfect on the ladder, just push em across.

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:59 PM »
We use my 20' extension ladder opened to 16'. Plenty of ladder on the ice for stability, afew rocks on shore to keep it firm. Our Frabble commando's bottom  grooves fit perfect on the ladder, just push em across.
You sir are crazy! Is a stinkin fish really worth it (life). Ice pulling away from the banks is mother natures way of saying ice fishing season is over.

Offline Born Late

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2014, 12:23 PM »
You sir are crazy! Is a stinkin fish really worth it (life). Ice pulling away from the banks is mother natures way of saying ice fishing season is over.

Plus there's that other device now available.  Hmmm...?  Oh, yeah...a boat.   ;D
YOU are the only one who can decide if the ice is safe enough for you.

Offline Skalkaho

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Retired Timber Faller
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Not as bad as it sounds. There was only 4' feet of water with 2" of ice cover. This is at Clark Canyon. As I stand on the ladder I use my spud, ice is 18" at six feet from shore. 20' out bore first  test hole....22" and solid.Went there today, shore ice about 3" thick...12 degrees . Did not get above freezing till noon. Today was it though.... Go out only 30 yds and ice is VERY hard ,21' deep water, no slushy like Georgetown. ..... The other guys were probadley laughing at me as I am A SAFE OLD Timber Faller.....now tell that to the guy on an ATV last week using a ramp to get on the ice and the other 20+ fishermen out there using planks....HMMMMMM

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.