Author Topic: Germ's 2006 Ling Thread  (Read 3931 times)

trapperdirk

Germ's 2006 Ling Thread
« on: Dec 22, 2005, 08:46 PM »
This year your going to get one over 8 inches long Germ if I have to dive down the hole and hook it on your line . ;D

TD

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
Re: Germ's 2006 Ling Thread
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:19 PM »
ROFL.... I guess the Challenge is on???
Ok so... Let make this interesting... I get  a Ling over 1 pound...
WHich i didnt get ANY last year....         THen WE get a picture of you in your Underoo's? ANd if I don't get any this whole winter then THe same with me??         

SInce you started the thread and all i thought we might make it fun lol keep it funny and ongoin??? LOL
BAck to you!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2005, 06:54 AM »
THen WE get a picture of you in your Underoo's?
...Oh No....GeRm....here's hoping you catch a ton of ling.....Grump :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Road Toad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2005, 07:30 AM »
Germ, you forgot standing in down town Burks Falls! I bet all 4 people will see him!

trapperdirk

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:19 PM »
Me standing in my underoos in town is not a new thing . Just ask the guy that plows the town with a grader and likes to jam 4ft of snow in my drive . :o He's had me in bare feet and only undies on try and chase him down . ;D I really scare him when its at 4 a.m. and he calls the cops on me and they always get a chuckle about our ongoing feud . ;D
   Well Germ your challenge is kind of one sided in your favour since you always have something to do and won't fish the right lake or at the right time but I will take you up on it to some degree and that is if you win I will put an avatar of you in place of mine with say that kissing carp one and it will run for the number of days when you fish and are skunked by the mighty ling but you need to make a good effort and fish a real lake or with me and if I win you drag my sleigh and rigging into a speckle lake of my choosing by whatever means you need to get us in there . ;).

TD

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:49 PM »
ROFL..............
Im not Dragging that sleigh,.....   OR as i like to call her 2 Tonnes Tessy.....
Id Swear that thing has Cleets on the bottom and a anchor to slow it down...LOL... Plus THe kitchen sink you bring along with it weighs that baby right down.....        Not to mention you guys and your 5 feet of snow lol....

ok so.... SInce you called me on it... THen YOu make up  a serious FUn thing to bet with...   I say though since your the SPec man... you have to match My Ling i catch this year per pound with a SPec lol....
]

Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2005, 12:12 AM »
Sorry to jump in here but I make it up your way a couple times a year to fish Matenenda(sp) near the Serpent river in the  Blind river area in the  hard and soft water. 

Reason I got in here was to let you guys know that I saw a thing on the weather channel where they were tossing ling on the ice because they considered them trash fish!!!  After llistening to all your talk I found this disturbing.  You are not pulling my leg about them being good eating are you???

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

trapperdirk

« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2005, 12:45 AM »
You jump in anytime or anywhere you wish Swantucky, its considered rude to lurk and not participate . ;)

Yes over the years I too have seen ling just thrown on the ice to be scavenged by gulls or whatever and it is a sacrilege because they are really good tablefare .

I think the gentle , easy going, peace loving Germ here would hang you by the family jewels if  he caught anybody wasting or dishonoring the ling in this manner and you don't have to hang around here long to see how much he loves the lowly ling . Just wait till he goes on his yearly rant about how all the ling were netted out of lake Simcoe thinking they were a bad fish and turned into fertilizer and you will hear the short pudgy Germ go into a tirade . LOL ;D

The problem Germ has is that he for some unknown reason never can hook into any ling of any reasonable size and even with this whole site's help and knowledge, the ling gods never smile on him and he usually only catches a very few of them and those ones are usually the size of a shrimp at best and that is not enough to satisfy an energetic fisherman the likes of  Germ . :-\ :'(Heck he couldn't even keep a guppy alive with his catch of ling and once again with another season in progress all wish the Germ well and we want him to be happy and to catch a ling that is longer than 8 inches . ;)

Here is a pic of some ling a couple of fellas and I  caught last winter that we actually even took a pic of and this was in a short span of time and I believe we had 14 in the pic . The pic is them laying on my kitchen table awaiting processing with the fillet knife so most definately we like to eat them even if they are ugly. ;D

TD

Offline Sawlog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • YeeHaw!, I'm loving it
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Ling Fling ;D ;D ;) ;D

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2005, 05:39 PM »
LOL........ Oh the Pudgy Little Germ isnt as Pudgey as he used to be....

I did mention i lost 30 pounds eh? LOL Probably FROm trying to FIsh for Ling last year without ANY success,.....
IT is TRue My Ling size has been small....       But i hera it isnt about the SIze lol...... Ya RIght lol..

THis year i WIll Get something better then 9 inches lol.    I actually AM going to COme up to Lake BErnard to do this little Feat..LOL      OR Vernon...... Can decide of as yet but the Feat will be done IF i want to see Ling of any SIze...    LAst year i HIt LOB a few times in search of the King of COd but couldnt... Oh well... TIme will TEll and THis weather isnt HOlding to WELll for me... lol..       Im going to try My lake a few times this year as well and See what Happenes... LOL Might just get one lol... ANyhow TIght lines and DOnt worry Ol Pudy Here will produce and Yes   ANyone caught WAsting a LING on My watch WIll Wear my size 9's lol!!!!

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2005, 01:17 PM »
ANyone caught WAsting a LING on My watch WIll Wear my size 9's lol!!!!

:o.................. ;D
Andrew

Offline minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ahh memories !!!!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2005, 04:09 PM »
LOL

well Boys this should be a very interesting ice fishing season!!

Not sure any of us are looking forward to seeing either of you in your underoo's  ???

It would be one of the funniest things this site has ever experienced LOL!!

Good luck to both of you!!

Minnow

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2005, 05:01 PM »
Hey Im Game....

Trapper Just has to Agree that he has to match my Ling to a SPeck,.,, ANd its game on....

Ill GO underoos on the lake,,,, On the ICE,.... LOL WOnt matter to me... I know ill catch the Ling... LOL

Offline LincolnG

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:18 AM »
So, Germ, did you ever have any success with the Ling - I'm on the same quest here in 2015!

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2015, 01:18 AM »
Hey guys haven't posted on here since last winter, but this thread is destined for platinum status lets bring it back!!  Or just make it the Ontario ling thread for the sake of nobody havin to freeze theĦr bag off?  I too am on the ling quest we need pictures, videos, baits, tactics and a pile a get'er done attitude lads!!  Germ you can do it brother 10 pounders think big!!

Offline flyfisherdude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2015, 07:46 PM »
Man, I haven't fished for (or caught) a ling in a long, long time. They are soooo delicious. Not sure how much opportunity there is here in Eastern Ont. I've heard of a few places to target them but I suspect it takes putting in a lot of time. And time is pretty limited for me. Good luck though to anyone going after them!

Offline puncho

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Be safe out there
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2015, 08:37 AM »
I have caught some in the past in Cumberalnd and Orleans on the Ottawa River no big ones tough more in the 1 to 1.5 pounds if this help, never caught any in the Wendover or Plantagenet area of the river tough, neither on the Nation River.

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2015, 01:02 PM »
I have caught some in the past in Cumberalnd and Orleans on the Ottawa River no big ones tough more in the 1 to 1.5 pounds if this help, never caught any in the Wendover or Plantagenet area of the river tough, neither on the Nation River.

Any size is good size man they all eat!

Man, I haven't fished for (or caught) a ling in a long, long time. They are soooo delicious. Not sure how much opportunity there is here in Eastern Ont. I've heard of a few places to target them but I suspect it takes putting in a lot of time. And time is pretty limited for me. Good luck though to anyone going after them!

Man pretty much any deep lake here in eastern Ontario you'll find ling in em, just a matter of findin em in the lake you're on.

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 10, 2015, 08:22 PM »
I'm gonna liven this thread up!  Everybody needs to start postin pictures of their catches the season is gettin shorter!

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 10, 2015, 09:40 PM »
Never fished for them, I do not think I have ever caught one before either.  Not sure where to or how  ??? to in my area or if they exist close enough for me to try. Great pics though.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2015, 10:41 PM »
Never fished for them, I do not think I have ever caught one before either.  Not sure where to or how  ??? to in my area or if they exist close enough for me to try. Great pics though.

Thanks man, as far as catchin em this time of year right now goes it depends.  Do you fish any deep lakes right now with river or creek inlets?  If so get up near the inlets on the flats anywhere from 8-20fow that drop out into deep water in a short distance, deep being a relative term 50fow is enough to hold ling in a lake.  These ones were caught in 9-12fow on tip ups with dead minnows dropped right on bottom on 1/4oz jig heads all within 15 minutes of eachother, a 25 foot drop off was about 10 yards away it keeps dropping off to about 70fow past that I was set of specifically for these black beauties as soon as they come up on the flat from the deep.  If you can find spots like this you can catch ling, night time is best I caught them just after it got dark. 

Other good places too look are deep rocky shoals and shelves, even rocky shorlines going into deep water.  Anything works for bait as long as it's meat of some sort, they like bologna alot can't say as I blame em though.  Good jiggin methods are too bang bottom with just about anything, personally I usually use a 1/2oz pink deadly dink with a big-for-bait treble hook for a dead minnow or cut bait...Or bologna but I eat more then I fish with,  I also like using a silver and glow 1/4oz slender spoon with a big dead or live minnow.  They like flashy stuff as well as loud stuff,  really like smelly dead stuff including pieces of themselves.  When you lay into one on a jig pole though your in for a fight, they're like a mudcat with a bad attitude.

Anyway, hope this helps and happy fishin!

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2015, 12:39 AM »
Thanks greatly for the info, it is something I think I will pursue. I will need to check on the lakes around here as far as structure is concerned. Up until lately (this year) I have spent most of my fishing in shallower waters mostly because I am more familiar with them as a fly fisher. Deeper waters I just started playing with. Great info thanks again.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Gypsy3006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 13, 2015, 12:35 AM »
Thanks greatly for the info, it is something I think I will pursue. I will need to check on the lakes around here as far as structure is concerned. Up until lately (this year) I have spent most of my fishing in shallower waters mostly because I am more familiar with them as a fly fisher. Deeper waters I just started playing with. Great info thanks again.

No problem brother, always like to help out when I can they have become my favorite fish for many reasons.  I've never fly fished before so I guess we're on common ground on the learnin of different types of fishin!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.