The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Time to use your head ...and THINK OF YOUR LIFE  (Read 6493 times)

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
Time to use your head ...and THINK OF YOUR LIFE
« on: Mar 15, 2014, 12:39 PM »
With the weather now you have  to end  this year of ice fishing...was on today. My last trip this year...edges are gone  can get on with a plank but not for me..even with Attic arm er...I don't like to get wet...and enjoy life to much....so please be careful .be safe do not go alone a fish is not  worth your life ...we lose someone each year trying to push it
Use you head and think of your friends and family....be safe all..tight lines Till open water...was a great year on the ice.... :tipup:
Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: Time to use your head ...and THINK OF YOUR LIFE
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2014, 01:06 PM »
Yes mommy...

I am sure that your warning come from a good place, but I am now a big boy. I have gone through the ice before and will most likely again, I don't like doing it, it cuts into my fishing time. I also know I am in more danger driving to the lake then when I am out on the lake. When I look over at the guy passing me on the highway, talking on the phone, has a open new paper on his lap and is eating a donut (I am not making this up), I feel much safer on thin ice! Thanks for the warning, but we already are in to much of a "nanny" state with police kicking ice fisherman off safe ice all the time, they don't need any help from fellow fisherman...

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2014, 02:04 PM »
I'm not saying. Don't go on the ice. Just be safe. And use you head. When to say no not today it is over for one more year ...I know this  Is the best bite of the year.last ice  Just. Be safe that is all I'm saying

Offline packers

• IceShanty Rookie
  • insufficient funz
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2014, 02:20 PM »
Kov19 I think advice to people to be safe is always good advice and I appreciate your statement.  Its the guys like stripernut who are far to cool to take any advice that are the ones that put other lives in danger when they fall through and rescuers have to stick there necks on the line to help the guy who thinks hes invincible

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2014, 03:30 PM »
Hardly invincible, but I do know what I am doing and I know how to get back out. If you are not comfortable going through the ice, then you should not go out on iffy ice... As to "other lives in danger" I would be out, long before any one shows up... I never thought of myself as "Cool", but thanks!

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2014, 03:45 PM »
Don't think there is any iffy ice right now 12 plus inches on pymatuning at tuttle  even at moraine the shore lines might be iffy but the lake ice will be here for a while yet. fished tuttle point on thur ic ewas 12 inches and shore was still intact!!

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2014, 03:57 PM »
up until the rain last week killed it I still had over a foot of ice on the Susky (and I defiantly wasn't the only guy still on the river ice ;)) in a few spots and all the lakes I fish still have 15-24" of ice. I don't see anything in the forecast that makes me think I won't still be on the ice until atleast the first few days of April  ;D
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Making ice in the Northeast tonight and tomorrow; low of 15 and high of 25; my truck is fueled up and loaded down. ;)

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 15, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Check the shore line, watch the old holes and be careful? I'm going tomorrow.

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Making ice in the Northeast tonight and tomorrow; low of 15 and high of 25; my truck is fueled up and loaded down. ;)

It was in the mid 40s when I got out late this afternoon and when I left at dark there were snowflakes in the air  ;D
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:34 PM »
great advice,just keep it in the back of your mind guys and girls.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:48 PM »
Thanks Kov.

Offline 97dend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2014, 07:32 AM »
With the weather now you have  to end  this year of ice fishing...was on today. My last trip this year...edges are gone  can get on with a plank but not for me..even with Attic arm er...I don't like to get wet...and enjoy life to much....so please be careful .be safe do not go alone a fish is not  worth your life ...we lose someone each year trying to push it
Use you head and think of your friends and family....be safe all..tight lines Till open water...was a great year on the ice.... :tipup:

I'm with you, Just because the ice is 12" doesn't necessarily mean it's safe.I read an article where if there is no snow on top the sun actually heats the water through the ice and it starts melting the ice all the way through and warms the water and melts it from the bottom. Another thing is when the old holes get to be big enough for a kid to fall through, it blows my mind when people still take their kids out on the ice. I'm not preaching to anyone that wants to go out but I find it bizarre every time somebody brings up ice safety there are a few that don't want to hear it or for some reason or they are just in denial that the season is ending.

to the gentleman that has fallen through before and will do so again your post should speak volumes about ice safety ;D I'm assuming you are just falling through where the water is up to you knees though.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2014, 08:00 AM »
to the gentleman that has fallen through before and will do so again your post should speak volumes about ice safety ;D I'm assuming you are just falling through where the water is up to you knees though.

I don't keep track of knee deep "incidents"... Off the top of my head, twice through  in  10-20 ft of water, but the worst was in the middle of a swamp with rotten ice and the water was about three feet, but the mud was bottomless and sticky... After I got up on the ice I slid back in to get the boot I had lost, that was stuck in the mud... Now that was no fun at all!
Much of ice safety comes down to; if you prepared and don't panic. When I go out on the ice I am better prepared then I ever have been, but more importantly, I don't panic. Logic is what gets me out...

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:06 AM »
that and the experience of going in is not as bad as feared,or was for me.i am sure not telling anyone to go on ice when they don't feel comfortable,but I agree with stripernut we sure don't need no babysitter but absolutely appreciate words of caution .cant hurt.have picks,don't panic,and I think good quality clothes like wool and synthetics help allot too.not those heavy ass carharts

Offline Rebelfisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hook 'em and Cook 'em...TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT!
« Reply #15 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:24 AM »
was  at paupack last night...still 20" ice...the top layer is turning into a snow cone but its still solid...will be back next weekend for sure.

Ice Fisherman Walk on Water!

Offline sparky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rooolz!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:48 AM »
I went through once and that was enough for me.  Coming off the ice at last ice there was a large section of ice that had cracked about 8 feet from shore.  Walked out on it and had no problem coming back off the ice I got 2 steps over the crack and the whole chunk of ice went up in the air coming towards me and I slowly slipped into the water.   Lucky it was only 4 feet deep but I had a heck of a time pushing the ice so I could walk to shore.   Did have to use a pair of tweezers for the next week every time I had  to P.

We've had a long season, one of the longer ones we've had in a long time.  Use caution and come home safe and sound.     
sparky

Offline Rizzman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2014, 11:21 AM »
WOW Spripernut must be the "Rambo" of ice fishing !! Not only does he have the mud suck his boot off, he dives back in to get it back ! All the while to only thing that irritates him is losing 2 -3 minutes of fishing time! Maybe HE, is the most interesting guy in the world !!! Probaly got a gold medal for his game face alone !  I hope I didn't offend anyone , just having fun. Thanks for the advice and reminder KOV.

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 16, 2014, 01:35 PM »
I went through late ice last year. Up to my armpits. The cold water takes your breath away at first but like he said, the important thing is to stay calm. I also agree with the mud thing. That was worse than fallin through! All anyone can do is be prepared if your gonna be out on late ice. Ice pics, life jacket, and always bring an extra set of dry clothes!! I didn't do that last year and It sure was a cold wet 1-1/2 hr drive home! Good luck!

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:48 AM »
The posts have slowd down.  For all hope all is well to next year in PA. We all wish we have more hard water ...now is time to give thanks for all the ice we had this year...tight lines and hope to see all next year...god bless...be safe....tight lines to all

Offline deepcreek bound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2014, 07:37 AM »
WOW Spripernut must be the "Rambo" of ice fishing !! Not only does he have the mud suck his boot off, he dives back in to get it back ! All the while to only thing that irritates him is losing 2 -3 minutes of fishing time! Maybe HE, is the most interesting guy in the world !!! Probaly got a gold medal for his game face alone !  I hope I didn't offend anyone , just having fun. Thanks for the advice and reminder KOV.

I about fell off the chair lmao!!!!!!!!! Now thats funny!!!!!...................Dee p

Offline buckinnuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2014, 09:16 AM »
just remember a cat has 9 lives....not us....not worth the risk...i would rather fish 20 more years than 20 more minutes

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:42 PM »
I don't know where you guys are Fishin but in the northeast we got 20" and good shorelines!!! I appreciate the concern but...... Yeah I'll be out tomorrow!! I'm not ready to give it up.

Offline BrewCrew27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 21, 2014, 03:22 AM »

RIZZMAN,  that was funny !  all KOV was trying to say is he is done, and for everyone else to be careful.  And rambo, who isnt even from PA, steps  in .  I think i would just buy a new boot.

Offline deepcreek bound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2014, 06:57 AM »
RIZZMAN,  that was funny !  all KOV was trying to say is he is done, and for everyone else to be careful.  And rambo, who isnt even from PA, steps  in .  I think i would just buy a new boot.

I would def. change my screen name to: Iceman Rambo - The Most Interesting Guy On Hardwater.........Woul d love to see that avatar!!!!!!

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #25 on: Mar 21, 2014, 07:18 AM »
I am no Rambo but I don't let fear control my life. I respect the ice, I just don't let getting cold and wet stop me. It has been  a few years since I have gone through and hope that I don't ever again. I could deal with that in two ways; 1; Stay home and wait for open water or 2; go out have fun, catch fish, be prepared and get my a$$ out if I go through.

I think i would just buy a new boot.
I have posted this before.
Why I went back in for the boot;
I was 12 years old and fishing alone out in a big swamp with a beaver pond. The ice on the lakes was over a two feet thick and there was a fair amount where I was fishing, but it had started to go bad with the all the methane from the swamp. I had just had a scare cutting a hole in the beaver pond and having the water rush up, with about a 10 foot circle of cracks and started to sink. I tossed my pick out of the circle and threw myself over and rolled out… At this point I decide it would be best to go home. I dropped down over the beaver dam (testing the ice as I went) and started my four mile hike back home through the swamp and woods. I get about 25 yards from the beaver dam and the ice just let go. I ended up arm pit deep in about three feet of water and countless feet of muck and dead leaves. Again I threw my very heavy home made pick out with my scoop and jigging rod. Then I start to try to get myself out.  The ice was about 6-8 inches and it was breaking off in big chunks, (it is weird how the ice acts when all the little methane bubbles work there way up through the ice and make it honey combed). I knew that if I did not get myself out, my body might not even be found! I finally found ice that would support me and I started to pull myself out, but as I did one of my boots came off and stuck in the muck. So there I was, with my chest and stomach on the ice, soaking wet, and a four mile hike back to my house. I figured that 1. I did not want to loose any toes, and 2. My parents would kill me if I had lost a boot… So back in I slid, searching with my stocking foot, until I found the boot and eased my foot back in. Now at the time the hardest part of all this was pulling myself out the second time, not the physical act of getting out, but keeping my boots on, one or the other just wanted to stay stuck in the muck!
So now I was out, I was soaked and freezing, I still had about 75 yards of swamp ice to get over and a long, very cold hike. Thinking light thoughts, I lucked out and made it to shore, if I had gone through again, I don’t think I would have gotten out. I knew my time to get to the house was limited, and started out at a very fast walk to help warm up. Most of the hike I really don’t remember, but the last couple hundred yards when I could see my house through the woods, my teeth were chattering, I was not thinking real clear (hypothermia) and all I could think of was one foot in front of the other and the promise of a LONG HOT shower. I make it to the door with the incredible relief that I was going to live and that I had saved myself. I walked in with a huge feeling of relief, to have made it to the safety of my home, the warmth, I just wanted to fall down and cry and I had never been so happy to see my parents… I stepped in and my mother started yelling at me for coming in covered in mud, ice and soaked to the bones. I tried to explain what had happened, through the chattering teeth… I didn’t feel the love back… I dragged myself to the shower and emptied a very big tank of hot water, before I came out feeling exhausted, but alive. I would have been back on the ice the next morning, but I had school. I do have a great deal of respect for all ice, but especially swamp ice!

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 21, 2014, 09:33 AM »
I am no Rambo but I don't let fear control my life. I respect the ice, I just don't let getting cold and wet stop me. It has been  a few years since I have gone through and hope that I don't ever again. I could deal with that in two ways; 1; Stay home and wait for open water or 2; go out have fun, catch fish, be prepared and get my a$$ out if I go through.
I have posted this before.
Why I went back in for the boot;
I was 12 years old and fishing alone out in a big swamp with a beaver pond. The ice on the lakes was over a two feet thick and there was a fair amount where I was fishing, but it had started to go bad with the all the methane from the swamp. I had just had a scare cutting a hole in the beaver pond and having the water rush up, with about a 10 foot circle of cracks and started to sink. I tossed my pick out of the circle and threw myself over and rolled out… At this point I decide it would be best to go home. I dropped down over the beaver dam (testing the ice as I went) and started my four mile hike back home through the swamp and woods. I get about 25 yards from the beaver dam and the ice just let go. I ended up arm pit deep in about three feet of water and countless feet of muck and dead leaves. Again I threw my very heavy home made pick out with my scoop and jigging rod. Then I start to try to get myself out.  The ice was about 6-8 inches and it was breaking off in big chunks, (it is weird how the ice acts when all the little methane bubbles work there way up through the ice and make it honey combed). I knew that if I did not get myself out, my body might not even be found! I finally found ice that would support me and I started to pull myself out, but as I did one of my boots came off and stuck in the muck. So there I was, with my chest and stomach on the ice, soaking wet, and a four mile hike back to my house. I figured that 1. I did not want to loose any toes, and 2. My parents would kill me if I had lost a boot… So back in I slid, searching with my stocking foot, until I found the boot and eased my foot back in. Now at the time the hardest part of all this was pulling myself out the second time, not the physical act of getting out, but keeping my boots on, one or the other just wanted to stay stuck in the muck!
So now I was out, I was soaked and freezing, I still had about 75 yards of swamp ice to get over and a long, very cold hike. Thinking light thoughts, I lucked out and made it to shore, if I had gone through again, I don’t think I would have gotten out. I knew my time to get to the house was limited, and started out at a very fast walk to help warm up. Most of the hike I really don’t remember, but the last couple hundred yards when I could see my house through the woods, my teeth were chattering, I was not thinking real clear (hypothermia) and all I could think of was one foot in front of the other and the promise of a LONG HOT shower. I make it to the door with the incredible relief that I was going to live and that I had saved myself. I walked in with a huge feeling of relief, to have made it to the safety of my home, the warmth, I just wanted to fall down and cry and I had never been so happy to see my parents… I stepped in and my mother started yelling at me for coming in covered in mud, ice and soaked to the bones. I tried to explain what had happened, through the chattering teeth… I didn’t feel the love back… I dragged myself to the shower and emptied a very big tank of hot water, before I came out feeling exhausted, but alive. I would have been back on the ice the next morning, but I had school. I do have a great deal of respect for all ice, but especially swamp ice!

STRIPNUT.
               I know what your talking about.I fell threw a beverdam when i was 18 yo.2 miles in the woods.Catching native brookies.Went under and couldnt find the hole to get out.Thank god my cousin was with me, he staggered the hole and put the hand augar in and swirled it.I heard the noise and reached for it .He pulled me to the hole and helped me get out.The ice kept brakeing for a good 30' till i was able to get out.Was a cold walk out.We couldent even build a fire so i could dry a bit because it rained and iced the nite before.Everything was soaked.There is no way to even explain what goes threw your mind and body when you go threw.Untill you go threw,GOD FORBID you cant even compair it to anything.Chin up buddy,im with you and know what you went threw.BE SAFE.

Offline JPM80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 21, 2014, 02:18 PM »
New to the site as well as ice fishing. My son got me started and I am hooked more than he is. Spent the season coming up the learning curve, a lot to learn! Biggest concern now is, is it time to stay off the ice? Reading up on white ice or honeycomb ice, nasty stuff, and not sure if it is present throughout the lake? I have been fishing Tuscarora lake primarily. Saw some honeycomb on the edges, but not sure if that is normal/ I suspect yes?. I don't know too many experienced ice fisherman, so I go it alone. Dying to go out again, but think I need some more experience recognizing rotten ice.

To date, all the people I met were very friendly and informative. My son and I met a very knowledgeable person named Jim (Nightfisher?) at Mauch Chunk lake and he gave us a heads-up on ice safety, and what to look out for regarding underwater springs at Chunk. It wasn't long after that my son found one to left of boat launch B. He went in and it was a scary experience for me as well since I watched him go under. He got out fine, but since then I have respect for what can happen if not educated/prepared.

Any advice on what is going on with spring ice, greatly appreciated. Tuscarora looks like it is solid via spud bar when out on ice away from shoreline, but I was hesitant to leave the cove area.   

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 21, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Everyone do YOURSELF a favor and when comes time for a new suit make it a Floater !!!  AA, Striker or whatever is better than none at all!

Offline Fish huckster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 21, 2014, 04:41 PM »
Just curious gills, what's the avg cost on those suits?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.