New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice Gator auger.  (Read 1608 times)

Offline gunnerdk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Gator auger.
« on: Mar 14, 2014, 07:50 PM »
Fished Sandy pond last weekend and took a short video of my ice Gator.

Tight lines!!

Offline nto

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice Gator auger.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2014, 06:30 AM »
Nice cutter you have there gunner...Looks a lot lighter than some gas powered models.
I live with fear everyday.....but sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2014, 12:41 PM »
Wow, looks like it works good. On my wish list for next year. ;D
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:47 PM »
nice, thanks for sharing

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2014, 07:51 PM »
Pretty slick.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2014, 05:07 AM »
My friend has had one for 5 years with no trouble.  Works great.  My understanding is they are out of business, no parts or service available. 

Offline jlm5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2014, 10:25 AM »
that sux.

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2014, 01:46 PM »

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2014, 01:50 PM »
I think they're still in business but have come out with a new model with updated batteries. The older ones are discontinued so parts might be an issue.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2014, 01:58 PM »
They are not out of business.  Their newest model uses lithium batteries and is different in design with switches and drive design.  It's all good.  ;D I've had one for 6 seasons now - not one issue.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 19, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Website's still up.....

http://www.icegator.com/products.html
Which of the new for 2013 "soldout" models would you recommend.........?

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2014, 06:32 PM »
They are not out of business.  Their newest model uses lithium batteries and is different in design with switches and drive design.  It's all good.  ;D I've had one for 6 seasons now - not one issue.
Would have to say that's a decent testimonial.  Drilling through ice in the north country.
Plus I saw his in action from about 50yards.  22" of ice sandy pond tourney.  It was sitting on the front of his machine all morning.  He picked it up about 11 & zip right through Way faster than Ive seen a gas auger

Offline gunnerdk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 19, 2014, 06:34 PM »
They really are an awesome auger..

Tight lines!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #13 on: Mar 19, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Which of the new for 2013 "soldout" models would you recommend.........?
1st in the list -- call him up and get your order in.  He will produce it.  WEB site info is old.  Last I talked to him, he had just gotten an order of parts in.  Maybe about a month ago.  What "screw" you planning on using with it?

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2014, 06:49 PM »
1st in the list -- call him up and get your order in.  He will produce it.  WEB site info is old.  Last I talked to him, he had just gotten an order of parts in.  Maybe about a month ago.  What "screw" you planning on using with it?
I'd go with a Nils 6 inch if I pull the trigger.  I was looking at the Strikemaster Electra, Ion or Drill combo.  I was under the impression from chatter on here and other media that IceGator was non-responsive and/or out of business.  Good to hear definitively they're still around.  Seems like a good unit in my limited experience.

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 19, 2014, 06:53 PM »
I'd go with a Nils 6 inch if I pull the trigger.  I was looking at the Strikemaster Electra, Ion or Drill combo.  I was under the impression from chatter on here and other media that IceGator was non-responsive and/or out of business.  Good to hear definitively they're still around.  Seems like a good unit in my limited experience.
I have the drill combo with a brand new $300 drill.  I keep my batteries warm &,all the stuff that goes along with it.  I drill plenty, but don't trust it at all after 4-6 hours on the ice.
If you go out, drill and sit there all day fine.  If you move at all you'll not be happy.

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:03 PM »
I have the drill combo with a brand new $300 drill.  I keep my batteries warm &,all the stuff that goes along with it.  I drill plenty, but don't trust it at all after 4-6 hours on the ice.
If you go out, drill and sit there all day fine.  If you move at all you'll not be happy.
Seldom fewer than 20 holes, some days many more.  Been a good year for upper body workouts........  Don't generally mind with the Nils and hate the thought of taking on extra weight but the ice this year has me thinking it over.

Offline gunnerdk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:08 PM »
My uncle has the new Gator with the lithium ion batteries with a 6" nils head and it is amazing...

Tight lines!!

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 19, 2014, 07:19 PM »
I have the older style icegator with the push button forward and reverse. Have had it for at least 6-7 yrs now. The other day my forward button shorted out and the contacts burned. I emailed Icegator and they said to send drive unit in and the will fix it for price of parts. Its been a week, and I'm waiting to hear from them.  Love the gator, hope it can be repaired!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2014, 03:34 AM »
I have the older style icegator with the push button forward and reverse. Have had it for at least 6-7 yrs now. The other day my forward button shorted out and the contacts burned. I emailed Icegator and they said to send drive unit in and the will fix it for price of parts. Its been a week, and I'm waiting to hear from them.  Love the gator, hope it can be repaired!
I had him ship me the parts a couple months back to swap those switches out for the new lever type.  Anyways, took it apart to do the work and ended up just cleaning and lubing the parts and reassembling - kept the parts for spare.  It's a simple design and not difficult to work on.  Don't think I would ever ship it in for repairs, myself.  The cleaning and lubing is going to be an annual maintenance item now, after seeing how it's built on the inside.

Offline trebblehook

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • time to walk on water!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2014, 07:14 AM »
I thought about that after opening it up and seeing how it was put together, but it was pretty burned up where it had shorted out. So I shipped it , and they may switch over to the levers for me. I'll try and get ahold of them. Thanks. Also want to switch to the Li-ion batteries

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.