Author Topic: Compression Break at Catabwa  (Read 1961 times)

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Well Done is Better than Well Said"(Ben Franklin)
Compression Break at Catabwa
« on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:01 PM »
Hey,

Has anyone crossed the compression breaks at Catabwa in the last day or so?

We were crossing at the Christmas tree N/W last Saturday-Sunday. 1.5 miles Got my limit easy, several monsters.

Had to drive accross planks then, walking required some care at these points especially. Just wondering if machines are still passing and if walkers are making it North OK. 

Thanks for your input...

Offline fishindude644

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Compression Break at Catabwa
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2014, 10:59 PM »
*REMOVED*

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:00 PM »
That is a Junkl Pic...  I know that place  Tell me where this pic is??  It Aint at Catabwa

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:02 PM »
Thats Perrys Monument.... Probly January

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:05 PM »
I will drive up and Check it out,,, Ice Shanty is for the Birds...   Been a member for a long time forgot why I gave it up in 2010 now I remember.

Offline fishindude644

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:27 PM »
That is a Junkl Pic...  I know that place  Tell me where this pic is??  It Aint at Catabwa

That's open water from the light house. Green island is on the left.  It's better than no pic. :o
*REMOVED*

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:31 PM »
Yes Green Is, Rattlesnake, And Putin Bay....   When was the pic?????   I was just there....

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:34 PM »
20 inches of ice don't leave in two days...

Offline kneedeep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2014, 12:29 AM »
It looks like picture was taken from South East of Catawba looking North West. and the open water coincides with todays  Lake erie MODiS.
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.14072.1750.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg
Looks like allot of unpredictable ice, air boat may be an option?

Offline fishindude644

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2014, 04:30 PM »
It looks like picture was taken from South East of Catawba looking North West. and the open water coincides with todays  Lake erie MODiS.
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=e&page=1&template=sub&image=a1.14072.1750.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg
Looks like allot of unpredictable ice, air boat may be an option?

Yep  that's what it looks like to me.  Just putting it out there for your information guys.  Don't get  your panties in a knot.
*REMOVED*

Offline Kamodude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Sounds like leftydeadeye has nnever seen lakes go away...
Ive seen a lot more than that in two days!!!!!!
If we haqd an east wind you would have seen a lot more gone!!!!

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:33 PM »
Well,

Leftydeadeye has taken his limit more times than he can recall this Winter on Erie. I took a limit today, but I live close.   An Eastern wind would have been nice compaired to the one we had, but it was enjoyable.   I've seen my share of ice and the lack-there-of.   I fish Erie all seasons from New York, to Monroe, and Ontario, I've ice fished all the Greatlakes,   I also have seen the same pics over the Winter  from time to time. sometimes year -to-year,, but as old as I am,,, I admitt I will still never know it all.    I only wanted some info on the compression break at the Christmas tree West of Catabwa State park.    I did'nt get any info on that,, so I looked first hand.

Regards,

Offline Kamodude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 15, 2014, 10:42 PM »
So what did you find on your looking yourself?
Share with us.

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2014, 07:45 PM »
I found alot of slop ,and found it hard to cross the break,  as I did 2 days prior. but I did find a spot with some other guys my planks, there planks, and  some OSB we crossed.. The Western basin was still locked up.  The Mouse Island area and North, was probably open water so maybe the pictures were good,??  Don't know , That is a bad place always, I won't run a machine on the ice there.. I headed B line to the Pwr plant.  only 1.6 miles if that.
but I also found 18 to 20 inches of ice, be it soft.  and 5 walleyes 24 ft. of water..  Friday the 14 th.  Met some guys who limited out also a Camp Perry  later while driving around and snooping..

Ice was not good at edges,,  I parked my truck on the ice at Catabwa state park, 4 days prior.  Not this time. The compression break was a little  scary, but knowing that it was pretty much a solid chunk in the West and could'nt flow away  I got my last day in.  Some guys talked about Saturday,,  a little to much for me on this.

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2014, 07:52 PM »
There is my share..,,  Today I serviced my boat,  put up my ice gear, and drained the fuel and Summerized my ice screw.

Offline Kamodude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2014, 11:35 PM »
Thanks for sharing!!!!!
We decided not to go but feel we probably could have made it ,but we had several guys that were first timers that said they would be happy to perch fish on our local lake...so we went there. Ended up with 53 perch from 9-14 inches. They were satisfied so it was a great trip!!!!!!

Guy just text me that they walked out two hours but took them 4 hours to pick their way pack in ice was going away Saturday.
Dont know where they went out of or how much experience they have.
Im ready to hit the open water...I feel more confident sittin in the boat...Its already floatin!!!!!

Offline leftydeadeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 21, 2014, 09:24 PM »
You can't beat Perch..  With the Erie limit of 30 again it makes it tough to justify the fuel and time. I am ready for boat fishing too.  I should be ready,  Kinda wondering what the ice conditions around the launches in the Western basin are looking.   I will be off from work for a week in five more days. I will do a little snooping around and see what things look like from Toledo to Huron.  Its hard to beat Maumee bay at ice out.  Walleyes and smallmouth, even a pike now and then.

Good Luck this year... ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.