The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Safe Ice at Nelson this weekend?  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Moose Drool

• IceShanty Rookie
Safe Ice at Nelson this weekend?
« on: Mar 13, 2014, 02:01 PM »
We would like to get out on the ice one more time this weekend.  Hard to believe, with the winter Montana has had, that the hardwater season is almost finished again.  Does anyone have any updates on how the ice is holding up on the hi-line and Nelson in particular?  We were hoping it would still be good Saturday and Sunday but it's definitely not worth going through.  Thanks for your updates.

Offline spear1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Safe Ice at Nelson this weekend?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2014, 03:15 PM »
You could call west side sports in malta, they might know something, 654-1611

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Give Arlen a call. He lives near the reservoir and his number is in this thread.
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline gadgetman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2014, 07:19 AM »
Sorry.....just realized this was not the lake report thread for Nelson. Go there for lots of good information.
The worse day fishing is still better than the best day working!

Offline RJFoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2014, 10:12 AM »
Talked with Arlen yesterday afternoon and he said there was still 2 feet in most places.

Offline Moose Drool

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  It looks like most have given up for the season.  I might have to concede as well.  There hasn't been any updates on the "Nelson" ice conditions thread since mid February.   I will try Arlen today and make a decision.   

Offline sbschindler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2014, 09:36 PM »
The thickness of the Ice has no bearing on how good the ice is, 2 feet of honeycombed ice is dangerous and that what's going on at nelson, Fort Peck etc.. 

Offline Jevc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2014, 11:16 AM »
When I dropped my wheeler thru, the ice was 18-20 inches. It just crumbled into shards beneath me. I sure wouldn't trust the ice just cause it was thick this time of year. And if you were to go thru the honeycombed ice just crumbles in front of you as you try to crawl out. Not a good situation.  I saw a guy out two days ago on Hauser. Maybe he is a lot more experienced than me but no way I would have been there. I am not telling anyone what to do or not to do just giving my 2 cents. We all want to ice fish again next year.

Offline Lindy Rig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Ice was OK as of Sunday the 30th. It might make it another few days. Water on top, about 8" of good ice, with 2" of soft ice on top.  Fishing was OK for perch. Only could find small, male walleyes. Females were getting down to business somewhere. 

I might have been the only guy on the lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.