The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Last Trip of the Year (Video)  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
Last Trip of the Year (Video)
« on: Mar 12, 2014, 09:27 PM »
Last trip out on this ice. A little trout action! Couldn't ask for a better day to end on. Be sure to check it out along with my other videos!

https://vimeo.com/88939623

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
Re: Last Trip of the Year (Video)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:20 PM »
Sweet vid:) !!!!

Offline kensmeat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:13 PM »
That is a awesome video you guys made and the Trout are nice size. Thumbs up Tayreel :)

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:38 PM »
Thanks guys! Really glad you guys liked it. Again I couldn't ask for a better way to wrap up the season!

Offline Tof38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 12, 2014, 11:40 PM »
Nice vid, great way to end the season...is that Skillet?...one of my favorite bands

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2014, 01:26 AM »
Excellent video !!! You two caught some dandy trout. Job well done. Thanx for sharing.

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2014, 01:39 AM »
Nice vid, great way to end the season...is that Skillet?...one of my favorite bands

Good Ears! It is Skillet! My all time favorite bands ;)

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:28 AM »
That's a great video and looks like a lot fun was had.  Gotta love those under the ice shots........!

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Most agreed Robbi! underwater shots just add a little more excitement:) This link is the same video just the youtube version for those who like youtube instead.

&feature=youtu.be

Offline Mogi

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 13, 2014, 12:36 PM »
Loved it! I dig your gal's happy dance. My wife has a similar one! Cracks me up! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 13, 2014, 12:47 PM »
Loved it! I dig your gal's happy dance. My wife has a similar one! Cracks me up! Thanks for sharing!

Ya I have to say there was a lot of those dances going on :) I just managed to catch a couple on film ;)

Offline pike_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 13, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Nice fish and nice video as well.  Good luck with the soft water and see you again next ice season!
Fishing, the best stress management seminar for the money!

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 13, 2014, 09:44 PM »
Nice fish and nice video as well.  Good luck with the soft water and see you again next ice season!

Thank You! And absolutely you will see me next year! Hopefully with some pike footage underwater along with walleye, crappie and perch. If you haven't checked out my other two videos you might appreciate them since pike are the stars of them :) (if you haven't the links are below)

https://vimeo.com/82995972

https://vimeo.com/83421454

Offline camand post 92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2014, 10:16 PM »
great video never seen bows caught in tip ups thats sweet
yes I'm crazy!!! yes I've gone ice fishing thanksgiving weekend, most pike I've ever caught in 1 day. it nice being the only 1 on the ice

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:19 PM »
Ya most people just kinda laugh at me for doing it. Works like a charm though and a little bit more of a challenge. But when you're fishing that shallow its kinda the only way to fish right under the ice and be pretty close to the tip ups. Plus its a whole lot easier to see a flag go up than a rod tip bounce or a bobber bob from a few yards away. Give it a shot sometime.

Offline camand post 92

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2014, 12:49 AM »
i might I'm a huge pike fanatic. hows it work on smaller trout like 12 inchers not a real big trout fan iv caught so many of them that i had to change it up. i do go for them still they taste great
yes I'm crazy!!! yes I've gone ice fishing thanksgiving weekend, most pike I've ever caught in 1 day. it nice being the only 1 on the ice

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 15, 2014, 02:29 AM »
I fish them the same way I do for pike just change the leader, hook and bait :) With either trout or pike, if you watch my other videos I have linked above, you'll see I like to stick to the shallows. Fluorocarbon leader for pike and a same for trout just a lot lighter #test.

But tie on a 3-5 foot leader depending on water clarity. (longer for clear water and short for dirty obviously) Trout don't seem to like to see that tip up line anywhere close to their food so honestly its hard to have too long of a leader. Then my favorite color is a chartreuse green jig head with an orange/black eye. Very common color but something about chartreuse just brings them in and then the bait does the rest.

I'd say the most misconstrued notion with ice fishing is that all fish are only found close to the bottom. Well trout in my experience tend to cruise just below the ice. (not to say that trout aren't found on the bottom). But I've increase my odd of catching  trout by fishing tip ups in the top half of the water column and then using a jigging rod in a little deeper water on the lower half of the column while I watch my flags.

Granted I left out all the missed fish we had in that video trout are pretty smart and tend to barely set off a flag and then sit there. but being shallow water, along with fishing just under the ice, they tend to hear you and take for high hills while spitting the hook. So if the T-pin is on the spin you best get to it quick cuz most likely they're already attempting to spit your hook.

But as I said before at least with flags you know when they've been hit. Unlike most jigging rod set ups I've seen people use time and time again and catch very little. And to me its due to not being able to see that rod tip bounce. So either they're confined to a very small space so they can't attempt to watch all at the same time or they spread out and a rod tip has to bounce some multiple inches before you know whats up.

Guess these are all my personal theories from my experience along with a lot of research :) but I've caught trout of all sizes on this method. Its all about hood size as far as that goes. Bigger hooks are a little harder for smaller trout. (which in my experience means a lot of times they'll still take the bait and set off the flag but when you attempt to set the hook you end up with nothing. Most likely cuz the trout just got a piece of the bait itself and not the hook and is trying to escape with it to chow down on it somewhere else). But if you're a catch and release person a lot of times small hooks means gut hooking fish at times. But anyways I'm sure I could gab on and on. sorry this comment is so long itself. You can message me if you'd like to know more. Again glad you enjoyed the video. check out the others if you haven't and give trout on tip ups a whirl next year. Might surprise ya how much fun it is to catch the little buggers again :)

Offline Tacojuan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Cool video those are some fatties. Is that martinsdale?

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Mar 17, 2014, 06:07 PM »
Nope its CFR! Fly fishing videos are next to come. Granted won't post them on here probably but keep your eyes peeled on vimeo or youtube under my channel of Fly-Ice-Fish!

Offline onpoint

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Nice video! Thanks for sharing.

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Had a lot of fun making it! Can't wait till next year ;)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2014, 01:58 AM »
Nice video great way to end the season. Just a suggestion buy some creepers/cleats for the two of you a slip and fall could lead to serious injury.
Steve

Offline Tayreel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 30, 2014, 12:39 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion mr. clean. I have two pairs for the two of us just left them at home:)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.