Author Topic: how to jig with rapalas  (Read 1872 times)

Offline bergal1

• Team IceShanty Regular
how to jig with rapalas
« on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:13 PM »
I recently purchased some rapalas for jigging.  what method would be effective to catch perch and walleyes? 

thanks guys

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
Re: how to jig with rapalas
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2014, 07:30 PM »
I recently purchased some rapalas for jigging.  what method would be effective to catch perch and walleyes? 

thanks guys

No set way to do it, just try different methods, do some longer rips then let it sit, do some short rips and let it sit, twitch it or move it slowly. The fish will let you know if they are interested and if you are using the right lure along with color combo. Watch for your line to go slack on the drops.

Tight lines  ;D
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Let it down into water but not so far you cannot see it..  A Jigging Rap the original will swim in a circal when you jig it properly.  It is more of a steady pump learn to do that and how it feels in your hand  get  the cadence before you let it down deep. 

When down in the water pump it around then let it settle and repeat , remember you can dress it up ,some ( me Included ) like to add a red Rubber Salmon egg ( Anise sented uncle Josh ) to one tine of the bottom treble..   I have caught Perch and  Pike , Herring , Whitefish and  lake trout on these . You can dropper it to for the small stuff.  I would think that would be a tangle Issue but some do.

A great Lure and nice and heavy get down Quick and keeps the Line taunt. Excellent for anything that eats.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2014, 06:01 AM »
Once you get the right cadence things will fall in place. They are a very good jig.

WS

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:03 AM »
Bergal,
   Just a tip: The circular swim action of a jigging rap often causes line twist. About 12" to 18" above the rap add a good barrel swivel in your line to reduce the line twist..
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline five fathoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:02 AM »
Bergal1,
  Jigging Raps glide or plane outward on a slack line.  To achieve this, I smoothly lift up, then abruptly drop the rod tip to give it slack. The lure plunges down and away from the hole. When the straightened line checks its descent, the lure swivels and returns to a position beneath the hole. It's a wandering lure, but it's leashed. The distance from the hole that it swims is determined by the length of slack line it's been given. If you only lift-and-drop a few inches, the lure noses out only a short way and then returns to true. I think this is a good mimic of a small baitfish.
  The retrieve or cadence, though, is up to you. There are many possibilities. I prefer a lift of less than 12", followed by a drop. I pause as the bait executes its maneuvers, waiting and watching for a strike. Fish are often slower in cold water, so I give it a few seconds before starting over. You can also just make them shiver in place; sometimes that works.
  I use the smallest two sizes, mostly, and perch crush these things. Crappies and panfish respond pretty well, and I've caught pickerel on them, too. I know trout will take them, also bass. They're effective tipped with bait or fished plain.
 When fishing shallow in the weeds, I've noticed they have a tendency to reach out and snag weeds some distance from the hole.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.