New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bigger Laker  (Read 4109 times)

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bigger Laker
« Reply #30 on: Mar 13, 2014, 02:58 AM »
Great fish!  :oRed says your lucky but cpr was the mark of a true sportsman @) everyone take a bow :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #31 on: Mar 13, 2014, 03:37 AM »
TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!   :thumbsup: :clap: :woot:

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Mar 13, 2014, 06:01 AM »
very nice laker. must of been one heck of a fight!

Offline multispeciesangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Mar 13, 2014, 10:53 AM »
That's a great laker! Congrats Buddy!

Offline IcemanADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2014, 05:59 AM »
Awesome fish. Awesome picture. So jealous.

Those big lakers are so neat looking.
"As I grow older, I've come to suspect that I have got it backwards, and that life, at its best, is a metaphor for fishing and writing. Or perhaps neither side of any metaphor is finally dominant, the one inextricably tied to its contrasting likeness, no longer merely a point of comparison but yoked in a new existence to its other self."
Wayne Fields

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words guys.   I did have to get a dig in at Scotty... in reality, he is WAY more than just lucky, that sucker can fish and always catches the big one, hunt and always shoots the big bucks, marries a gorgeous AND sane woman, has a beautfil house and a healthy child.   And he's lucky.  ;D

its deceiving when you stick a fish in the camera

its a trophy. no doubt. What I am getting at is it looks alot bigger then that. I have a 40" on the wall and this one looks much bigger!

Its called forced perspective

here's some good examples from this year of Fontana19 with some true forced perspective shots (or my good camera work, either way  ;D)

here's a standard large lake george specimen...around 28" - certainly looks bigger

and here's a 32"...but looks even WAY bigger than that

SS, I would love to see a pic of the 40" mount...that's such a giant...a lake ontario fish?

Offline VomWillemstad K-9

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HUNT•OUTDOORS•FISH™
« Reply #36 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:31 AM »

Awesome Job!!

Congratulations...

Adrian
Catskill Outdoors
HUNT | OUTDOORS | FISH™

Find Us and Follow Us Everywhere:

Facebook • Instagram • Twitter • YouTube • Pinterest

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:44 AM »
@Bigred - So what your saying is, I only catch the little guys???  :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: ;D

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #38 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:47 AM »
Congrats Scotty  :thumbsup:   Thanks friggin awesome man.

You guys have all taken PB's this season, how cool. WTG Bigred & Fontana too.

BB
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:50 AM »

BB

Thanks BB!

Yeah, watching those two at work is something else. Even on the slow days it is entertaining at the very least.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:52 AM »
@Bigred - So what your saying is, I only catch the little guys???  :pinch: :pinch: :pinch: ;D

lol...what I'm saying is big guys like us need experts at forced perspective to make their fish look big  @)  If only I could take pictures of me with my fish  ;D

BB

thanks BB...come with us next year!!

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #41 on: Mar 14, 2014, 09:58 AM »
I should have made more trips with ya this year for sure. It's been a great ice making year for LG. 

Just having an "off" winter  :-\  Sick of everything lately. I'll be better when the weather breaks  @)

And you're not kidding Terry , watching those two is fun in it self  ;D

Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline lakerscottyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 14, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Thanks guys. Healthy competition between fishing buds only makes you a better fisherman. Especially when its against bigred!!!! ;D He the only person I know that has fished or knows the bottom contour of every lake in the state. That red knows how to fish!

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #43 on: Mar 14, 2014, 11:40 AM »
Thanks guys. Healthy competition between fishing buds only makes you a better fisherman. Especially when its against bigred!!!! ;D He the only person I know that has fished or knows the bottom contour of every lake in the state. That red knows how to fish!

That's an awesome trout :thumbsup:  Hopefully you got home in time Saturday night and didn't get in trouble for fishing too much ;D 

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 14, 2014, 12:01 PM »
That's an awesome trout :thumbsup:  Hopefully you got home in time Saturday night and didn't get in trouble for fishing too much ;D

I tell my wife "your the one who bought me the vex what did you think I'd be doing all winter"

I bought her a Jeep so she keeps pretty quiet.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 14, 2014, 02:22 PM »
Awesome fish Fontona19!

MK

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Mar 14, 2014, 02:29 PM »

SS, I would love to see a pic of the 40" mount...that's such a giant...a lake ontario fish?

Lake george fish....

Went to the taxidermist at 40" even...came back at 38". That was the last skin mount I did. Thats a big downside. They shrink.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Mar 14, 2014, 02:56 PM »
Lake george fish....

Went to the taxidermist at 40" even...came back at 38". That was the last skin mount I did. Thats a big downside. They shrink.

the way that skin mounts work, if the foam core has the wrong dimensions, thats what happens.   Had the same thing happen to a 32" walleye i caught out of the susquehanna, came back at 30" and thick girth...completely unlike the fish I caught...turns out he used a standard walleye foam mount and didn't shave it down at all...

thats still a giant lake george fish.  i bet that fish was 35 years or older.   No doubt on the downswing of its life.   I would have done the same thing.   someday i will get my giant.  someday.

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Mar 14, 2014, 03:02 PM »
the way that skin mounts work, if the foam core has the wrong dimensions, thats what happens.   Had the same thing happen to a 32" walleye i caught out of the susquehanna, came back at 30" and thick girth...completely unlike the fish I caught...turns out he used a standard walleye foam mount and didn't shave it down at all...

thats still a giant lake george fish.  i bet that fish was 35 years or older.   No doubt on the downswing of its life.   I would have done the same thing.   someday i will get my giant.  someday.

I caught it on the back side of dome Island when I was 15 (so 12 years ago). Icicle about 20' under the ice. We got 3 big ones that day...a 32", a 36" and the 40"...and we actually got them all in the same tip up line at the same time. I fought that 40" laker for about a hour and a half because we had a 6lb mono leader. The 32" and 36" were released. It was my first time ever laker fishing, or ice fishing on lake george.

that was the last skin mount. Even when I got my 10lb 6oz largemouth I had a replica mount made. That was in 2010.

Offline BillyGoat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I GOT 99 PROBLEMS AND A FISH AIN'T ONE
« Reply #49 on: Mar 14, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Here's my buddy Scotty J's big NY laker.  He asked me to post this on here.   36.5"  18lbs.  He's living proof its better to be lucky than good...  ;D ;D

(Image removed from quote.)

lol .  I gaffed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and took the pic  !!!!! nice fish bro!!!!

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Mar 14, 2014, 03:33 PM »
Awesome fish Fontona19!

MK

Thanks Jager61

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #51 on: Mar 14, 2014, 05:22 PM »
awesome awesome lakers
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline JigSchtickGeorge

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Mar 14, 2014, 07:26 PM »

I caught it on the back side of dome Island when I was 15 (so 12 years ago). Icicle about 20' under the ice. We got 3 big ones that day...a 32", a 36" and the 40"...and we actually got them all in the same tip up line at the same time. I fought that 40" laker for about a hour and a half because we had a 6lb mono leader. The 32" and 36" were released. It was my first time ever laker fishing, or ice fishing on lake george.

that was the last skin mount. Even when I got my 10lb 6oz largemouth I had a replica mount made. That was in 2010.

Epic day.  That's where the giants live!  DEC net reports say so.  But net reports are not during winter...  So my 30" fish could be on perch tour over by PK. 
Hitting it hard this weekend.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Mar 15, 2014, 12:33 AM »

That's a terrific Lake George fish! I have seen pics of some of your Giant NY largemouth. Very impressive! Was that 10 lb bass a NY specimen? Great fish anywhere but, an absolute monster if NY bass! 

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Mar 15, 2014, 07:45 AM »
That's a terrific Lake George fish! I have seen pics of some of your Giant NY largemouth. Very impressive! Was that 10 lb bass a NY specimen? Great fish anywhere but, an absolute monster if NY bass!

yes caught in NY.

I have 2, 9lbers under my belt, and 3, 8 lbers as well....4 well over 7lbs just for last season. 16 over 6lbs just for 2013.

Im thinking about starting up my own personal bass charter. Basically rent me, and my boat per day and I will put you on trophy bass.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 15, 2014, 02:28 PM »
yes caught in NY.

I have 2, 9lbers under my belt, and 3, 8 lbers as well....4 well over 7lbs just for last season. 16 over 6lbs just for 2013.

Im thinking about starting up my own personal bass charter. Basically rent me, and my boat per day and I will put you on trophy bass.
That's incredible! Bass 8, 9 and 10 lbs from NY waters is off the hook! I have seen pics of your 2013 giants but, would love to see pics of the 8 - 10 plus lb fish!

Offline SSmokinn SS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:35 PM »
That's incredible! Bass 8, 9 and 10 lbs from NY waters is off the hook! I have seen pics of your 2013 giants but, would love to see pics of the 8 - 10 plus lb fish!

I will PM you the pictures of the big girls.

The 2 biggest were caught before the sun came up, and after the sun went down in late, late fall.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #57 on: Mar 17, 2014, 04:13 PM »
Awesome fish!!

looked 40 pounds coming threw the 8 inch hole.

No doubt!!     I got lucky myself and caught this fish a couple weeks ago, and was just able to get it through my 6" hole.   I just got into laker fishing this year and my buddy kept saying I'm gonna need a bigger auger if I keep doing this.    He might be right!!    ;D ;D

16lbs 4oz and 37"

"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Mar 18, 2014, 02:28 PM »
what a giant, NOEL!!!!!!!!   Nice fish man!

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Mar 18, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Wow . That's a monster. And through a 6 in hole that's crazy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.