New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: NY DEC RESPONSE RE: TIP DOWNS  (Read 6510 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
NY DEC RESPONSE RE: TIP DOWNS
« on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:35 AM »
So recently I Emailed the NYDEC regarding Tip downs use and definition here is there response that they mailed ( USPS ) :

Tip-up means any device used for fishing through the ice that has a signaling device attached,except a bobber or other floating object on the water,that will visually or audibly signal a strike ."Signaling devices" are considered to include a wide array of items including tip-downs,flags,spring loaded snappers/clappers ,and other devices that are triggered or tripped by fish causing the fishing rod or implement to pivot or spring up signaling the angler .As far as tip downs ,we view the butt of the rod moving up,when triggered by a fish ,to be enough of a signaling device to be considered a tip up.Having said that the addition of something like red tape on the butt of the rod would certainly add to the tip down , as far as meeting the signaling device requirement.
      You are correct as to 5 tip-ups and 3 hand lines being allowed for ice fishing with a few exceptions (e.g. Lake Champlain ). Currently the Department is considering simplifying and coverting this to "atotal number of ice fishing devices ",which would eliminate the confusion that currently surrounds the questions of differences between what is a hand line and what is a tip-up.

Hope this clears up some of the confusion ....I was impressed at the mailed response with my inquiry
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: NY DEC RESPONSE RE: TIP DOWNS
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:59 AM »
This should be pinned to the top of every board as to answer the on going questions and debates. :thumbsup:
How's the ice

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:44 AM »
agreed ....not sure how to request that
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:06 AM »
This topic comes up at least 2-3 times per year. Its also in the fishing regulations book so there is no need to have it stickied at the top of the board.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2014, 11:14 AM »
This topic comes up at least 2-3 times per year. Its also in the fishing regulations book so there is no need to have it stickied at the top of the board.

it was covered in the one that came up this year over how many tip ups and hand lines you could use!

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:42 PM »
DITTO! :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

FrankM

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2014, 01:22 PM »
This dead horse has been so thoroughly beaten that it should be fully tenderized and delicious by now.

Offline tipup28

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ Gino Alessandro
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2014, 02:24 PM »
What is a tip-down anyway? Usually I put out my 5 tip-ups, jig with two jigging poles, and put a third jigging pole in a rod holder next to me with a minnow on it. The third jigging rod doesn't have any flagging device attached to it, I just loosen the drag, so when a fish takes the bait, I can hear him taking line. Is  this third rod considered a tip-down, or can I just say it's my third hand line? Don't want to be breaking the law.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2014, 02:30 PM »
What is a tip-down anyway?

Same thing as a tip-up, except different! ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2014, 02:57 PM »
Gentlemen,   Start your engines............... ............ :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
How's the ice

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2014, 02:58 PM »
Tip downs:

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #11 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:34 PM »
DEC proposed last summer the use of 7 devices per person this should be the law no questions asked. Support this proposal it could be 7 jigging rods, 7 tip ups  or any mix of devices that equal 7. There would be no confusion. It did not go through last fall lets hope this year it does. If you would like this proposal tell your local DEC office your opinion. Thanks
Mr.Esox

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11, 2014, 04:56 PM »
i like  how  it  is!  i  like  5  tip ups  and  3  jigging  rods  and  hers  a  few  reasons  why  .....first  if  you allow  8  tip  ups a  mans spread  is  twice as  big   heck  people  scream  now  if your  100 yards to them  ....second  with  3  jigging  rods  i  can  set my  5  tip ups  out    put  2  rods  in  th  shanty  with  bobbers   and   jig  with my 3rd  as  far  as  any  coffession   and  i  don't want  to  be  mean   eiter  yor  to lazt  to  read a  book  or  ask  a  game  warde or  your  to  dumb  to be  trusted  alone  on  the  ice anyways....

and  diehard  tht  was  gret  you  went  to  te  bother  to  write  and  post the  dec's  responce  ....now  watch  someone  question  it  in  4  or  less  post

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:21 PM »
i like  how  it  is!  i  like  5  tip ups  and  3  jigging  rods  and  hers  a  few  reasons  why  .....first  if  you allow  8  tip  ups a  mans spread  is  twice as  big   heck  people  scream  now  if your  100 yards to them  ....second  with  3  jigging  rods  i  can  set my  5  tip ups  out    put  2  rods  in  th  shanty  with  bobbers   and   jig  with my 3rd  as  far  as  any  coffession   and  i  don't want  to  be  mean   eiter  yor  to lazt  to  read a  book  or  ask  a  game  warde or  your  to  dumb  to be  trusted  alone  on  the  ice anyways....

and  diehard  tht  was  gret  you  went  to  te  bother  to  write  and  post the  dec's  responce  ....now  watch  someone  question  it  in  4  or  less  post

I might need a nap after all the energy I expended trying to decipher the typos plus the double spacing between all those words. I had a student once that was suppose to type a paper and the requirement was for it to be double spaced. When they had it all typed up, they hit space bar twice after every word. Funniest thing I have ever seen. Gave me a good chuckle. Wonder if you guys are related.

Just bustin on ya. I agree. Too many tipups might not work out for smaller bodies of water.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:24 PM »
This should be pinned to the top of every board as to answer the on going questions and debates. :thumbsup:
What fun is that ???

Soooo many disappointed smart asses.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Changed post after realizing RG had written that.  ::)

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:52 PM »
Still a few weeks of ice fishing left. It will be revisited again. ;D ;D
How's the ice

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:54 PM »
DEC proposed last summer the use of 7 devices per person this should be the law no questions asked. Support this proposal it could be 7 jigging rods, 7 tip ups  or any mix of devices that equal 7. There would be no confusion. It did not go through last fall lets hope this year it does. If you would like this proposal tell your local DEC office your opinion. Thanks

well what about open water can we use 7 devices during open water? Or only 3..... different regs for ice fishing and open water fishing are confusing..... I like how it is right now 3 hand lines in open water and 5 tip ups and 3 hand lines thru the ice a lot easier to remember if you ask me

i  don't want  to  be  mean   eiter  yor  to lazt  to  read a  book  or  ask  a  game  warde or  your  to  dumb  to be  trusted  alone  on  the  ice anyways....

books? What are those? Game wardens I've never seen one...... Now with the regulations only online and them not handing out magazines every year to save money the issue is people are too lazy to go online and look.... all it takes is a simple google search and you can find loads of information.... type in nys dec and the first link is the nys dec site. add fishing regulations to the search and it brings you right to the page! imagine that!

Google?!? Whats that  :unsure:

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:57 PM »
   I don't think the rigid hitch deal got straightened out yet.
How's the ice

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Mar 11, 2014, 06:05 PM »
Now that's a play on words :roflmao:

For the benefit of the original poster....You're dealing with a bunch of coconuts here. We've seen this topic multiple times each season for  many seasons...11 for me. It just gets funnier  each year.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 11, 2014, 06:12 PM »
  I'll leave that alone.
How's the ice

Offline cooper2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2014, 06:54 PM »
RG, Roy, anybody- For the love of God make it stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2014, 07:02 PM »
The only people that open these threads are the few that still haven't figured it out, the smart arses that think its funny, and the mods to chaperone said smart arses, till said mods become one.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2014, 07:53 PM »
wouldn't a tip-up be a hand line......  after all your pulling the fish in by hand.   

:whistle:

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2014, 07:55 PM »
What is a tip-down anyway? Usually I put out my 5 tip-ups, jig with two jigging poles, and put a third jigging pole in a rod holder next to me with a minnow on it. The third jigging rod doesn't have any flagging device attached to it, I just loosen the drag, so when a fish takes the bait, I can hear him taking line. Is  this third rod considered a tip-down, or can I just say it's my third hand line? Don't want to be breaking the law.

now does being able to here the drag when a fish takes your bait make that an audible signal   ;D  ;)

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline Timber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Mar 11, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Andrew Coumo voice > Yah don need 7 tip ups ta catch a Piiiike !   :wacko:

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:49 PM »
wouldn't a tip-up be a hand line......  after all your pulling the fish in by hand.   

:whistle:

it has a signaling device

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:13 AM »
The only people that open these threads are the few that still haven't figured it out, the smart arses that think its funny, and the mods to chaperone said smart arses, till said mods become one.

You have to be one, its a job requirement.  ;D

Offline tgrm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:22 AM »

I agree this would stop all the confusion and you could use any number of devices if I am catching fish on tip ups I could fish all tipups, the same thing if I am using dead sticks or jigging rods. I like the idea  of making my choice. We are ruled and regulated everyday I think this is a great proposition.

tgrm

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:38 AM »
I might need a nap after all the energy I expended trying to decipher the typos plus the double spacing between all those words. I had a student once that was suppose to type a paper and the requirement was for it to be double spaced. When they had it all typed up, they hit space bar twice after every word. Funniest thing I have ever seen. Gave me a good chuckle. Wonder if you guys are related.

Just bustin on ya. I agree. Too many tipups might not work out for smaller bodies of water.

my  apoligies  I  forget  not  everyone  knows me  ....I  had a  injury  and  am  dyslexic ......the  regulars  are  use to  me  and   can  help you  break  my  super secret code  to  typing , appears  the  US  Army  wants  to  us  my  unique ability to transfer  a  simple  sentence  to a unreadable  code.....basicly  I  was  trying to  say  if  your  not  smart  enough  to  count to 5   and  3  perhaps  you  shouldn't  be  allowed  out alone  on a  frozen lake

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.