Author Topic: Quick Quad Cities Update  (Read 1117 times)

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Quick Quad Cities Update
« on: Mar 07, 2014, 03:57 PM »
Fished a couple of areas in the QC the last couple of days.  Fishing hasn't been great, I'm worried there has been a massive fish kill in some areas.

West Lake - 24" of ice, fishing was decent, but nothing real big.
Small pond in Davenport - 21" of ice, no fish marked, water was down about 3'.
Lost Grove Lake - 24" of ice, fishing is still pretty good there (2nd hand info from a reliable source who can identify himself if he wants to).
Small pond in Rock Island - 13" of ice, no fish marked in an area where we normally catch them quite easily. Strange the IL side has so much less ice than the IA side.

Weather is warming up soon, and maybe we'll get to experience what a "late ice" season is like around here.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Quick Quad Cities Update
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2014, 08:06 PM »
Saw couple guys out in Bettendorf.  Stopped at Geneseo noone on canal assumed that old guys without flashers would have a great time hand augering 2 foot ice.   ;D
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2014, 05:37 PM »
Was over at the Rock Creek area the last 2 days. Some had a few fish on the ice, but very slow also! Sometimes I think I have lost my touch. Today I didn't catch a fish at all! I will keep trying till the ice is gone. Be safe all!!! :tipup:

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2014, 08:46 AM »
had great luck on a smaller pond saturday.   14" of ice starting to rot a bit.  fished timber in 10-12' of water.  fish were aggressive.   the kids knocked the snot out of gills.   we caught probably 40 fish in 2 hours.  they didn't want to leave but we had other plans on the schedule.  kept 13 7-8" gills and 2 9" crappies. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM »
I fished LGL the last few days. Bite has been decent, until yesterday. Yesterday they just quit and I couldn't get them to touch anything. Still 20" of hard ice with some honeycomb, but the edges are going. Lots and lots of water dumping into the lake by the canoe launch so not sure how long it will be before we cannot get on. Be careful there, two steps off the shore is 10' deep in places, that last step off the ice could be over your head. There is a shallow spot on the north bank about half way down that should be okay, its only a foot deep for a few steps. That's the plan for today if the ice is bad by the canoe launch.

More 8" crappies than anything really. Going to be a few years before that lake is real good. About 1 out of 15 is a 9"er and just big enough to cut.

The ice will be safe out there through this week, if you can get on.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2014, 01:25 PM »
Scratch that. Open water all around. Cant get on.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fish333

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2014, 02:42 PM »
Scratch that. Open water all around. Cant get on.

That's  for sure! Was going to fish it for the first time this year. My son and I saw water on the ends too! We went down the road to Rock Creek and on one side where the dnr ramp is at the top of the ice is scour out all the way out to the deep hole. It dirty and I think ether the wasp-river run some water thought it or from that small creek flood the top of the ice. Its bad.

Offline Cristoforo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Bass
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2014, 09:25 PM »
We'll invade anyone every wondered about the lake in Milan at the KOA i finally got on it.  Water is shallow with depths only around 4-7' we didn't make it to the very back of the lake but half way out and 7' was the deepest we found ice was spongy but  I measured 15" with 3" of white I'm sure the changed a lot after today.  Thanks for the updates harpenter and Kevin I had hopes of one more outing possibly this weekend but by the looks if it it may not be worth the risk.  Stay safe everybody. :o

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:51 AM »
There's still a lot of good ice, just have to find a spot where its shaded and not a run-off area. I have one, but its a looooong walk. Just have to get through tomorrow. High of 32 on weds and low of 19. Then a couple more days around 50 and we hit highs in the 30's and lows in the low 20's.

Yes, rock creek is... well, a creek. Sodus, shaftton, and rock all are actual creeks that flow water. With the runoff I'm sure it went to heck fast.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:21 AM »
We'll invade anyone every wondered about the lake in Milan at the KOA i finally got on it.  Water is shallow with depths only around 4-7' we didn't make it to the very back of the lake but half way out and 7' was the deepest we found ice was spongy but  I measured 15" with 3" of white I'm sure the changed a lot after today.  Thanks for the updates harpenter and Kevin I had hopes of one more outing possibly this weekend but by the looks if it it may not be worth the risk.  Stay safe everybody. :o

i fished it when we were kids and it was a driving range.  small bluegills was all we caught.   the lake across the street has some real nice fish in it.  or at least it used to when we fished it 10 years or so ago when you were able.  i still think you could without an issue but they've had problems with people leaving trash and the glass company doesn't want you parking in their lot. 

got out on the lake i fished saturday yesterday.  didn't have an issue, ice was starting to peel backf from shore but there is enough trees surrounding it, it may last a few more days with the way the forecast is shaping up.

found more crappies todya than i did saturday but i also  moved around alot.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2014, 08:29 AM »
taking a plank out with me in the morning to this spot.  hoping that wedn held off much of the melt.  should be enough to fish on, hopefully enough shore line ice to even get on. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.