New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Tomhannock topo/walleyes in the north basin?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline skipbaker77

• IceShanty Rookie
Tomhannock topo/walleyes in the north basin?
« on: Mar 07, 2014, 09:24 AM »
Heading to tomhannock rsrvr next w/e for perch n 'eyes ... 1st time ... I was wondering if anyone might know how i can get a topography map of it OR can offer me some advice on where I might locate my quarry. Seems from the post I've read that there seems to be some success on hte northern basin. I appreciate any help you can offer me to make it a successful outing ... taking the daughter, so I'm hoping to get at least a handful of flags to make it exciting for her! You know kids, gotta have some fish to make it fun! Thanks in advance!!!

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
Re: Tomhannock topo/walleyes in the north basin?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2014, 09:38 AM »
They give you a topo map with your permit which also shows the no fishing boundary lines :tipup:  Keep in mind ice fishing season closes at the tommy on 03/15 the same day walleye closes. 

Offline rpdfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2014, 10:49 AM »
Go to New York news and info page on this site--scroll down to LAKE CONTOUR MAPS get any map u want.  Don't forget your PERMIT from TROY CITY HALL 5th floor comes with map & rules &regs Fishing at tommy ress is poor lot of small WHITE perch,Occasinal Yellow perch Few walley mabey some BASS Good Luck out there!!!!!

Offline skipbaker77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2014, 11:03 AM »
k, thanks guys! Permit hasn't arrived yet ... good to know tho'. Any tips for a 1st timer on where/how to locate some 'eyes?!

Offline rpdfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2014, 11:17 AM »
Try Saratoga Lake,U have a better chance there, No permit, and u can drive right to your spot or park on the edge and walk, at least u can catch pan fish walley are far & few most any lake UNLESS U realy put in your TIME    NOBODY CAN TELL U WHERE THEY ARE U HAVE TO FIND THEM YOURSELF  The only u have a chance  is to fish fish fish   

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2014, 11:39 AM »
last time i checked you can only get the permit at city hall in person...if you can send away for it, i would love to know how

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2014, 12:43 PM »
last time i checked you can only get the permit at city hall in person...if you can send away for it, i would love to know how

Last 3 or 4 times I got mine by mail.  Just mail a copy of your driver license, fishing license, a postage paid return envelope, and a check for $10 to the Troy City Clerk at City Hall and write a little note saying you want a Tommy permit.  They mail you one right back.  Just look up the address at the city's website. 

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2014, 08:54 PM »
Don't trust the topo map that they give you or is posted on dec website. Yes it bottoms out just over 50 feet near the no fishing boundary in the north basin but the shorelines can be very irregular all around the reservoir. You have to do a lot of homework at this place to find your prize. If your just looking to get some weekend flags you might want to consider grafton lakes or burden/glass that are also in Rensselaer county.

Offline fishyfishes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 11, 2014, 09:20 PM »
X2 on the map part of it. I grew up fishing that lake. You have your day for the eyes but you really have to hit it first ice for better results in my opinion. Try to find transition areas from rock to sand which will be closet towards shore maybe 30 yards or so. And don't hesitate to throw 1 shallow in like 7 ft - 5 ft at first light and move it deeper after an hour or so. I myself like fishing points. Hope this helps. .gl. :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.