The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: No more gas auger for me  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
No more gas auger for me
« on: Mar 06, 2014, 08:30 PM »
After some research I bought the pro 4 Jiffy Propane auger from Jiffy on ice can't wait till it gets here to try it out. ;D

Offline Fish-N-Adventures

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
Re: No more gas auger for me
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:52 PM »
let us know how you like it.
what kind of power and how long does a little tank last?

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:58 PM »
I will let you know , a buddy of mine has 1 and he loves it says it will drill about 150 holes per 1 pound tank for a foot of ice.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2014, 01:17 AM »
sweet.
And that is an 8" blade.
What kind of weight is the auger?
One more thing, how do they hold up in real cold weather?
Being propane, it's got to run off a flame, how safe is that, too.

Have fun with your new toy.  :afro:

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2014, 01:24 AM »
Propane is still gas  ;)

Congrats on the new auger I was really looking hard at them before I got my Honda Lite. We've had an incredibly cold winter here in northern IL and got worried about partial tanks in cold temps. Also got an insane deal that I couldnt pass up.

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2014, 02:07 AM »
Being my buddy's been working, I was lucky enough to use his Jiffy Pro 4 the last couple of day. It is without a doubt the best investment he made as far as augers. Two pulls and you're off. Ripped through at least 18"of ice here in NY. I believe it's quieter than the gas ones. The only gripe I have is with the design of the rubber collar. There is a color that aids in keeping the clevis pin in the hole which connects the auger assembly to the power unit. The color has a small retaining band from it to the pin. Whatever rubber they used is not very flexible and I noticed some wear. I returned it to him today and mentioned that he should contact Jiffy and see if the would send a replacement. I also found an article which mentioned issues with the old copper tunes run in from the propane to the carb. I believe the issued a rubber one for those who had the older Pro 4's. Just check and see which you have.
You will love it.
It is what it is....

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2014, 02:09 AM »
Yea I got an 8 inch which in my mind is plenty big enough as I love to fish for pike,whenever you mess with the gas it just seems to get on you no matter what.I believe it effects your fishing as the smell would transfer to your bait and I got tired of messing with the carb after a while to get it running right ,I had my Jiffy for 20 years and figured it was time to upgrade. :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish on!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2014, 03:20 AM »
totally agree with the upgrade.
I've got a jiffy model 30 beast that I've had for almost 10 year now. Yes and beast, looking to down size, haven't used/hauled/lugged it out the last few years, lol.
Congrats and sounds like you already love it.  ;D

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:09 AM »
  I replaced my 25 year  old Jiffy 30 with the Pro 4 this year.  I love it , its not any lighter, but goes through 16 inches of ice like butter.

No more playing with gas and oil mix. Still on 1st tank of propane , well over 50 holes. Its a 8 inch.
How's the ice

Offline can_of_worms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:14 AM »
A friend of mine gave me a demo with his, and I will say this, it is quiet, fast, efficient and starts effortlessly.  My only gripe is that it is heavy, realy heavy. Take care enjoy the new tool.

Offline FREEP82

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 617 STRONG
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:27 AM »
I will let you know , a buddy of mine has 1 and he loves it says it will drill about 150 holes per 1 pound tank for a foot of ice.
Jigger, i had 180 holes here in Mass, tank still had some left!! The only reason i changed it is so i wouldnt have to in the cold. Very efficient workhorse! Heavy, but worth it :tipup:

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2014, 07:18 AM »
I have the pro 8" and have gotten easily over 200 holes. I am going to keep daily logs of hole drilled and inches cut next year just for s***s and giggles.

Offline IcemanADK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2014, 07:24 AM »
I sold a few of these when I worked at Gander. Most people are scared away by the price tag and the possibility of it not working in brutal cold. Other than that I had no complaints. We used to fire one up in the store and they rip. It used to start so easily, nice and quiet as a four stroke, and very little emissions.
If I needed a new 8" power auger I would definitely consider one if I could find a sweet deal on it.
Congrats on the new auger. You'll enjoy it.
"As I grow older, I've come to suspect that I have got it backwards, and that life, at its best, is a metaphor for fishing and writing. Or perhaps neither side of any metaphor is finally dominant, the one inextricably tied to its contrasting likeness, no longer merely a point of comparison but yoked in a new existence to its other self."
Wayne Fields

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2014, 02:42 PM »
I bought mine from jiffy on ice it was a demo with all the warranties for 399 couldn't pass it up

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2014, 03:49 PM »
I  got  the  strikemaster  Honda  lite  and  I  love  it   no more  then  2  pulls  no mixing  gas  and  with the  8  inch  auger  it  weights  22 lbs  I  believe  and  I  got  a  great  deal  from  bass  pro in  auburn  .....less  then a  eskimo!

Offline Scooby31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:44 PM »
I thought about one till I bought a nils I will never own a gas or propane auger the cut on the nils is fast and zero effort.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:01 AM »
I guy I fish with has one the jiffy is about the same weight as a gas I used both and will be switching to propane next year ( no gas smell ,mixing , ect.....) and will keep the gas as backup or if I have a crowd going

Offline longhair36

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:30 AM »
I have the pro 4 gas auger that takes reg. gas. Have drilled over a 100 holes with a single tank of super. fast, powerful, but heavy as hell.

Offline toes-r-froze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2014, 09:25 AM »
It cuts though the 30 or so inches at chamount no problem.
A secret to extreeme cold is to keep a tank warm.it changes in seconds with the wing nut on the tank holder.
Keep the carb side up in transport or you will have crank case oil in the carb.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2014, 01:24 PM »
I have had one since the first season they came out. I have only had one issue with it.  A below zero morning, the propane froze up and it would not run.  I had to put the propane can in my bibs for a couple minutes to warm it up.  After that, I was good to go.  Now I keep a spare tank in the truck for the ride and leave that can in my coat pocket just in case. 

Offline stickbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:22 PM »
I ahve had one since the first season they came out. I have only had one issue with it.  A below zero morning, the propane froze up and it would not run.  I had to put the propane can in my bibs for a couple minutes to warm it up.  After that, I was good to go.  Now I keep a soare tank in the truck for the ride and leave that can in my coat pocket just in case. 
Spoke to a guy who has one,he bought a neoprene cover for the propane tank,and when super cold,slides a single hot hands hand warmer in it.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 09, 2014, 06:10 PM »
I have had mine out a bunch or times now and it put my buddies gas augers to shame this thing is fast,did break the throttle lever >:(,as for cold my tanks have never been inside and are in milk crates on the way out to the fishing grounds,never had a problem with starting the auger.

Offline icefishdoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2014, 07:53 AM »
a buddy of mine has a jiffy pro 4 and as long as it's warm out,(+10) it runs ok...but when it's cold it wont start and if it does start, it run's rough and stalls...he has called jiffy and they said to warm up tank and then run it???? >:( but over all nice auger

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 PM »
I purchased this auger about 2 weeks ago and its by far the best auger ive ever used ive drilled over 200 holes on the same tank 16in of ice

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2014, 02:56 PM »
I have had mine out a bunch or times now and it put my buddies gas augers to shame this thing is fast,did break the throttle lever >:(,as for cold my tanks have never been inside and are in milk crates on the way out to the fishing grounds,never had a problem with starting the auger.

The propane augers are nice but they are not as fast as the gas version. I have the 3hp stx and my buddy has the propane and mine is definitely faster even though they are both 3hp.

Offline iceangler442

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice?
« Reply #25 on: Mar 11, 2014, 05:01 PM »
The propane augers are nice but they are not as fast as the gas version. I have the 3hp stx and my buddy has the propane and mine is definitely faster even though they are both 3hp.
Yeah I mean how much faster is it really? Not much

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 11, 2014, 07:18 PM »
I have the Pro 4 10" model and I'll 2nd that it is not faster than the 2 stroke jiffy 3hp, although I'm usually not racing, I'd rather fish. I left it outside one night when it was -25*F and there was no way it was going to start the next morning. It had a hard time to turn over. After about 10 pulls I gave up before breaking something. I'll also agree that it doesn't perform well at -10 or colder. 0*F + and it runs great. I started using a hotter plug midway through the season and it has helped a bit in cold temps.
It must be something in the water.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 12, 2014, 04:43 PM »
Well mine came yesterday I put it together installed new propane tank and it will not start I called jiffy and they are sending a new power head.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Mar 14, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Well mine came yesterday I put it together installed new propane tank and it will not start I called jiffy and they are sending a new power head.
wow that just sucks.

Offline Kevin in maine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2014, 08:18 AM »
Once you get it straightened out you will like the propane. They are very nice units, the only reason I don't have one is the year I bought mine was the 1st year they came out and I don't like being a guinea pig.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.