Author Topic: Dangers of unknown ice conditions  (Read 1625 times)

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "We don't remember days....only moments!"
Dangers of unknown ice conditions
« on: Mar 06, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Just a head's up to my fishing fraternity friends……I ventured with a few friends up to the Narrows on Tuesday to target Burbot. Fished the north side of the bridge about a mile out. The lake was covered in hard pack drifts that were only 2 to 6 inches deep (made for a very rough ride). Since we were barely breaking through the ice on our local fishing spots, with our 12 inch auger extension, we brought along our 18 inch auger extension. We punched through the first hole after only drilling 11 inches….YIKES! There was 14 FOW below the ice and I didn't detect any current. I was catching stunted pike all day (14-16 inch size). My friends moved about 1/4 mile further north searching for burbot and at one point drilled through only 6 inches of ice  ::) ??? ::) WARNING: no matter how thick the ice is in your regular locations,  ALWAYS check the ice at new unknown bodies of water ANY TIME OF THE YEAR. Things can go wrong in a hurry if you're not prepared….be careful out there!
Blue Igloo  :tipup:

Offline travis2091

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dangers of unknown ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2014, 07:01 PM »
That's a scary story, glad everything turned
Out ok!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2014, 11:29 PM »
Thanks for sharing that it just proves you got to chech the ice always
Never to many short poles

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Thanks for the reminder blue

Offline BradB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2014, 12:24 PM »
WOW... scary stuff... why would anyone go fishing at any NARROWS without being totally aware of the ice conditions??? Kinda ice fishing 101 like!!! Have fished that area and further north to Crane River and there are places to very aware of... One tip is... If you don't see holes and signs of locals being there... STAY AWAY!!! You guys got lucky... be more careful or nature will win!!! Similar story ended with guys getting wet last year on Shoal Lake, by going between islands... another NO NO!!!

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2014, 04:15 PM »
WOW... scary stuff... why would anyone go fishing at any NARROWS without being totally aware of the ice conditions??? Kinda ice fishing 101 like!!! Have fished that area and further north to Crane River and there are places to very aware of... One tip is... If you don't see holes and signs of locals being there... STAY AWAY!!! You guys got lucky... be more careful or nature will win!!! Similar story ended with guys getting wet last year on Shoal Lake, by going between islands... another NO NO!!!
Thanks for the tips Brad B (formerly fishheadsoup.......... we ALL know that guy!) The only reason I posted that info was to warn anyone that was heading that way. BTW I was fishing with a friend that had a cottage right there for 10 years…..he knows the area and has been ice fishing longer than both of us. Also, I saw 2 permies out there. Curious as to when are we ever going to see some of your fishing pictures……..since you  do so much fishing ???

Offline gatorhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2014, 10:16 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Ron.  I don't travel that country but there are undoubtedly some forum members who do.  Good of you to share your experiences.

Offline blue igloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 12, 2014, 05:27 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Ron.  I don't travel that country but there are undoubtedly some forum members who do.  Good of you to share your experiences.
Thanks Andre  :) That is EXACTLY why I posted about it. From now until the end of ice fishing season things will change dramatically so be wary out there. Don't assume anything.

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 12, 2014, 03:07 PM »
Reason why otters loke to fequent narrows between lakes in the dead of winter! Last winter while hunting caribou, we found open running water at many narrows between lakes. This was 100 miles north of Lynn Lake :o

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.