New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: electric filet knives  (Read 1333 times)

Offline icelegend09

• IceShanty Rookie
electric filet knives
« on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Just wondering everyone's opinion on electric filet knives and reviews of what is the best to use.

Offline perchice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: electric filet knives
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:25 AM »
Alot of info here. Type in electric fillet knife if search, and you will see a ton of topics on this.

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:38 AM »
Just wondering everyone's opinion on electric filet knives and reviews of what is the best to use.
I've used electric knives for close to 20 years. I have tried the expensive ones but keep migrating back to the Mr.Twister Electric Fisherman. Now I won't buy anything else. I clean thousands of perch, gills and walleyes and replace my knife every couple years, but 30 bucks and your back in bussiness. Well worth it.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:51 AM »
I love elec knives. I use the GE and the American angler. Had a mr twister and the trigger broke the first time I used it.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2014, 11:32 AM »
You must have gotten a dud I've never had a trigger break.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2014, 12:19 PM »
I bought one 15 years ago, an american angler, fileted tens of thousands of fish, still going.
You used to be able to get them everywhere, but not so much anymore I don't think.

Offline eyedoctor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2014, 12:39 PM »
BPS has the mr twister electric fillet on sale march 8 sat for 14.97. good price for a good knife

Offline loneranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Still fillet  the old way with a 6inch rappala nice wood handle and if you make yourself learn how to use it you will be surprised how fast it can be just cant cut all that gut on my fillet      :nono:   to each his own 

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Still fillet  the old way with a 6inch rappala nice wood handle and if you make yourself learn how to use it you will be surprised how fast it can be just cant cut all that gut on my fillet      :nono:   to each his own
I've got the same knife. I inherited it when my uncle died unexpectedly and wouldn't replace it as long as it stays in one piece.
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline richanddeesherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:10 AM »
what is better cord knife or and cords less

Offline steinea286

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:16 AM »
I was born on raised on a regular fillet knife. Been contemplating switching, but feel like I may be wasting meat off the bluegill and perch. Don't think I would mind it for larger fish though.

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:28 AM »
I think we all started with that same rapala knife, at least I did, then a host of others as well.
You don't waste ANY meat with the electric once you learn how to use it.
I only use the manual knife(rapala) for larger fish(salmon, steelhead).
I'll never go back from the electric for the smaller pannies, no way.
Worth mentioning, I use the slimmer blades that taper down to 3/8", I don't care for the squarish tips
like the mister twister.

Offline WiMeatHunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:35 AM »
I was born on raised on a regular fillet knife. Been contemplating switching, but feel like I may be wasting meat off the bluegill and perch. Don't think I would mind it for larger fish though.
steinea, I used to feel the same way, but with a little patience and practice you will be getting more meat off of those fish!!! When I hold up a bluegill or crappie after filleting with the electric I can damn near see through the carcass to read something! It gets that close!!!
WiMeatHunter

Offline Bjigging

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:40 AM »
I bought a mister twister last week and burned threw a few hundred perch with it already!! And I said to myself every time I grabbed another fish why didn't I get this electric knife a long time ago!!! Feeling dumb!!! Lol

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #14 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:56 AM »
I think we all started with that same rapala knife, at least I did, then a host of others as well.
You don't waste ANY meat with the electric once you learn how to use it.
I only use the manual knife(rapala) for larger fish(salmon, steelhead).
I'll never go back from the electric for the smaller pannies, no way.
Worth mentioning, I use the slimmer blades that taper down to 3/8", I don't care for the squarish tips
like the mister twister.

2X
I have had a corded American angler for 6 years now.
I had a cordless and liked it for camping and shore lunches but the rechargeable batteries give out after time and your stuck with a 50$ piece of plastic.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline freezerfiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2014, 10:14 AM »
rapala electric for me. bought it on sale for 49.95 and have cut thousands of fish with it over the past few years with no issues.  love the cig lighter adapter and battery cables that are included and I just bought my first set of replacement blades this winter. 

Offline fly_rodder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2014, 10:25 AM »
If there was wasted meat with an electric, shouldn't there be a big pile of fish dust left over? 

I keep both on hand and like using both.  If it's just a few fish, or something that requires some surgery, I'll use the rapala.  The electric is for when I get into a groove and just do fish after fish.  I'm not super fast, but a buddy of mine was averaging 30 seconds a perch, ribbed and skinned, with his electric.

Offline Bjigging

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2014, 12:04 PM »
31.99 mister twister at fish 307 the thing works great just wish I had one 25 yr ago!!!

Offline daytondedrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 06, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Toastmaster baby!!! I dont know where I got it from but I've had it....jeeez... forever!! For a while the trigger was sticking but now its not anymore???? Go figure. I honestly think I got it at Walmart for like 10 bucks!!Anyone else use one? Maybe I just got lucky???

Offline IceNeck9292

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 06, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Have been doing it by hand for the past 13+ years. And probably the past 6-7 seriously .... havent ever used a electric one but my opinion is there is nothing like having a sharp single blade zip right through a perch... and on crappie and gills i fillite them so the guts and everything ar contained... pretty much no blood or guts
Cacth them by day, fillet them by night.

Offline Bjigging

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 07, 2014, 05:46 AM »
My mister twister burns threw them panfish perch,gills,crappies I have never gutted a single fish just fillet skin an de rib!!! I average around 40 seconds a fish!! Lol

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:02 AM »

hands down Black&Decker it's over 14 years old countless fish ,pans, perch and eyes and stream trout

Offline ice88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:08 AM »
I love elec knives. I use the GE and the American angler. Had a mr twister and the trigger broke the first time I used it.
I hate anything that say GE

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 07, 2014, 06:08 AM »
I've had several but I like my Anglers Choice with an undercut shark or sabre blade from Rapala.  I keep an eye out for another one of those blades which are thinner than what most have.

Offline Bjigging

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2014, 06:10 AM »
I seen a Bass pro commercial lastnight and it said they have the mister twister electric fillet knife on sale for $14.97!! That's cheap and it works great!! Considering I bought one last week from fish 307 and paid $31.99!!!

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Mar 08, 2014, 09:39 AM »
For those questioning them, take the electric knife you may already have to carve turkey and try it.
(Just don't tell the Mrs. I told you too. Got in enough trouble years ago  ::) )
They work almost as well.  In fact I used that one for 4yrs before buying a Mr. Twister

Offline icedpapermouth

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2014, 12:57 PM »

I bought a mister twister and the trigger broke on it taking it out of the package. went to 307 and they returned it no questions asked. brought the new one home and after a few fish the same thing happened. I said screw it and have electrical tape holding it in place. i've been using it for two years like that. definately could be made a little better. but other than that it works well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.