New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Spike containers  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Christo571

• IceShanty Rookie
Spike containers
« on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:45 PM »
For what it's worth , most of the bait shops I go to , when I get spikes they are in the "flip top m&m containers that somebody else mentioned in another post. Although  they have a few uses I try to take them back to the shops that use them for reuse. It's not a food product I assume :P so woody's for one takes them back. I don't buy them by the thousand so the small containers are still recyclable. Kinda bringing it up because I've seen more than a few on the ice empty before. All to do now is figure out what to do with the people who leave empty propane tanks in the holes when they leave. ( do they really think they will disappear?). On a side note , brewerton bait had some big a** spikes. They worked great.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Spike containers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:16 AM »
I  use  those spike  viles for everything from saving  change to  putting  flies I  tie in I never  picked many off the  ice , the  propane  bottles are another story  ....sometimes  people mark a  hole  with them  most times it's  just a  pig 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:37 AM »
I leave them right at the bait shop and use these,

It's a  bouillon cube jar. I save them and make bait containers out of them. Love to re-purpose stuff. I'm thinking an air canon would launch those old propane bottles like gangbusters. If we only knew who to "return" them to it could prove an efficient method ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Shouldabeenhereyesterday

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2014, 04:37 AM »
Can't beat a bait puck...crush proff, waterproof,  and it floats, they last for ever...Two sizes available huge ones for keeping large quantities at home and smaller ones to take out with you.  Oh and almost forgot the top is big/wide enough to get bait out easily, it'smuch better then ttrying to get your fingers in a "pill bottle"!

Offline adktony

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:32 AM »
I use the containers for an ash tray when on the ice and put my cig butts in works well only problem is I never use spikes anymore makis all the way!

Offline snakemaistre

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:12 AM »
Sometimes I use them for eyeballs, to store small things, I always keep a clear one on hand to move the spikes out of the orange ones so I can see how lively my spikes are, sometimes I simply throw them away. I usually save my propane bottles to refill, sometimes I throw them away. But I never, NEVER, leave my trash on the lake. Open water or frozen, deer woods or camp site, trail riding or hiking, pick up after yourself, Dirt Bag!!!

Offline youngblood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:16 AM »
I boil up Minute Rice put a little fresh sawdust in them and then sell them to the out of town fishermen. ;D

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:40 AM »
I boil up Minute Rice put a little fresh sawdust in them and then sell them to the out of town fishermen. ;D

:clap:

Offline icejohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • kids love fishing too, take one
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Some of tbe best containers are sucret tins or even the larger altoid tins. I keep the spikes in a ziploc bag in fridge.......between  outings.
Icejohn

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2014, 08:24 AM »
picked up 5 propane tanks off the ice and filled 2 shopping bags with garbage yesterday , I cannot believe the scumbags on the ice , I find things every season but come on people this is getting a little out of hand. does no one see these things happening or do they just ignore it ? I already had a "talk" with some guys riding sleds and throwing beer cans and food wrappers on the ice and I wasn't fishing that day. just doing a little venting but I already know a few land owners that are thinking of posting their land to sleds , lake access and hunting due to inconsiderate d-bags that don't care . i'm not saying get in a fight with someone over it but say something or pick it up yourself just to keep things good with not only the land owners but for the environment as well.

Offline toes-r-froze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2014, 09:35 AM »
Large pill bottle works great.I had on of those mm containers from woody's and the top came off in my pocket of my fishing jacket and filled my pocket with spikes.I thought I got them all cleaned out but a week later I saw a fly flying around my garage.with it being so cold outside and my garage being warm I can't relate it to any other thing but a spike in my pocket.haha.I use a pill hottle with some holes drilled in it now Cause the lid locks on.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.