Author Topic: Seaguar Fluorocarbon  (Read 2384 times)

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
Seaguar Fluorocarbon
« on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:59 PM »
Apologies if I shouldn't be posting this here. I was just wondering if anyone knows who sells the stuff in Saskatchewan. Been told it's great and I'd like to give it a try. Thanks in advance.

Offline Broom Jockey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Seaguar Fluorocarbon
« Reply #1 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:21 AM »
I haven't seen any in Saskatoon, and a quick web search confirms this but I know there is Seaguar at the Bass Pro Shops in Calgary.
Early to bed...early to rise...fish all day...make up lies.

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Thanks you. Ya it appears you can't get it hear but just thought someone might know of a place.

Offline BOONER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:40 AM »
I've bought it from Pokey's in Regina this year.

Offline t-tot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:59 AM »
I've used it the last 2 years bought it at pokeys not cheap $60 a spool.

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:45 AM »
Just out of curiousity, what would make the Seaguar "worth" that much/spool?  Im just getting into the whole flourocarbon leader thing and wondering why this stuff is better than the not so expensive?

Offline Fishbones'

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Listen to Slayer.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:48 AM »
Lower memory is the main thing for me.  It also has good abrasion resistance and is not too bad to tie knots with. 

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Regina is a bit out of the way. I asked because I had done some research and it seems like it is superior to all other fluorocarbons. Not sure how true that is but I've heard it a lot. Are there any other types you guys have used or would recommend. He piles of good and bad things about vanish. Thoughts?

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:29 PM »
I've bought it at pokeys this year, I dunno if it was really any better than any of the other stuff I've used.

$$$  :o
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline FrostBack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Vegetarian: Cree word meaning poor hunter!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:43 PM »
Lower memory is the main thing for me.  It also has good abrasion resistance and is not too bad to tie knots with.

Pardon my ignorance but this sounds like you are describing braided line. I use Berkley Gorilla Braid and find it excellent for 4 season fishing. Its also alot cheaper than $60.00 per spool.

Why should I look at fluorocarbon line over braids?

I don't mean to hijack your thread, and if you feel I am, I will start a new topic elsewhere.

The difference between an 8" hole and a 10" hole is.....a 10" hole will usually give you your boot back!

In the food chain of life...its not good to be referred to as: "a good eating size".

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2014, 02:07 PM »
I have used Vanish, as well as Yo-Zuri and Berkley. I too was confused why some of it is so expensive compared to others, but have found that the 25 yd spool looks just like the 100 yd spools other than the price tag, so look carefully. They are all good quality, and when tying heavy pike leaders out of 80 or 100 lb flouro, I dont know if there is really a noticeable difference from brand to brand. I know that some of them claim less light transer to nicks in the leaders, but other than that I would have to say that the differences are negligible. 100 lb flouro is always a little stiff, no matter which brand you choose.

For the price difference, you can get 50 yd spools of Vanish at 50 lb test, and replace it 3x as often for the same money. Cabelas has it here in Saskatoon, so probably in Regina as well. Its what I tie my larger spinner rigs with now.

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Warren you use 50lb for spinner harnesses? The main reason I started this topic honesty has to do with tying spinner rigs. Maybe this is the wrong forum but it's so hard to find a place where I can hear others opinions. I had planned on using 14lb for walleye harnesses but maybe that's to small? As far as mono vs fluoro vs braid I think braid could be considered a league of it's own while mono and fluoro are more comparable.

Offline jigapoolza

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 04, 2014, 03:55 PM »
MDC lots of people use 14 0r 17lb mono for there rigs . unless your losing lots of rigs to pike then you could go to florocarbin

Offline lakertaker2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 04, 2014, 07:49 PM »
I just ordered some out of the states-10 lb seaguar but I am going to use it to try rigs for lakers.  I have been experimenting tying quick strike rigs with it-I use 30 lb vanish and have not broken a fish off yet-that being said, I change the rig everytime I catch one that there is a possibility of the line being near the pikes mouth.  As for spinner rigs-14 lb should be plenty heavy enough.  not as much stretch as mono but pretty abrasion resistant.  Braid is in a different class of line-the advantage of fluorocarbon is its invisibility in the water-braid shows up more although they are working on fixing that also!!!!

hope that helps-only one way to find out-experiment!!!

good luck

lakertaker2

Offline wally wacker49

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:06 PM »
throw my two bits in here also, have been tying spinner rigs now both for myself and for sale for over 25 years, if you are tying for self then 14 to 20 pound is lots. Fishing deif  or Tobin where there is a chance of a large pike may and I say may make me want to tie heavier line but to be truthful im not fishing for pike. If you are tying spinners for pike then go with a black leader material from steel.  I have found these last few years that 10 to 12 pound test leader has served me well, I've lost a few to pike but have enjoyed catching hundreds of walleye, for live bait rigs ie leeches I will drop down to 6 or 8 pound test. just my two bits worth

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 04, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Thank you guys for the replies. Very helpful. I fish tobin exclusively Wally. Love living 5 minutes from the river. I figured 14lb for spinners would be good. I use 8lb trilene xl for lindys mostly. Doesn't suppose you'd be willing to share bead and blade size Wally. I've been using 3-4 size blades and 5mm beads. Always used pre tied ones but this year doin it all myself. Thank you again!

Offline cdnb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2014, 09:26 PM »
How many of you guys make your quickstrike rigs our of fluoro?\ I've been having great success with my steel quick strikes but have been thinking of giving fluoro a try.

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2014, 10:14 PM »
been doing if for a number of years with good success I use 30lb Seaguar and the only place I have found it is at Bass Pro in Calgary.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:08 AM »
60lb fluoro has worked better than steel for me this season.  have been tying knots but going to try some crimp sleeves next time i'm out.

Offline noblejg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 05, 2014, 09:57 AM »
Tackle warehouse out of the states is the cheapest Ive found not only the cheapest but the cheapest shipping compared to cabelas or bass pro by far.

Offline Warren_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2014, 02:12 PM »
I do tie spinner rigs in different sizes, and different line weights, and 50 lb is the heaviest I would use when making them with large hooks and spinner blades. I had made a few with single strand wire, and 7 strand leader material, as well as some with fireline, but the flouro is the easiest to work with and store.

If you are just looking for lighter stuff under 20lb test, I cannot see there being that much of a difference from brand to brand, as it is all very similar diameter. The Yo-Zuri stuff is what I have been using and I find it to be easy to tie and use, price isnt bad either, available at Cabelas

Offline KenH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Tackle warehouse out of the states is the cheapest Ive found not only the cheapest but the cheapest shipping compared to cabelas or bass pro by far.

Have always crimped mine and have had no issues, find it tough to tie notes with the heavy line

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2014, 07:57 AM »
Thanks guys much appreciated. Head to Saskatoon this weekend to look around. Was gonna try ordering so me seaguar in line but it costs as much to ship it as it's worth. All good. Think I'm gonna stay away from vanish as far as spinner rigs go and get some in a lighter test for lindy/finess fishing. Looks like I might try out the trilene 100% FC and see how that goes. Thanks for the replies!

Offline Blaine Lutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 06, 2014, 08:58 AM »
I just bought some P-line flouroclear as it was rated high on net reviews.  Dunno about that, it flew off the new spool and I was reeling it onto a levelwind and it was trying to be super twisty.  I'm gonna give it a try, but my spidey sense tells me it woulda worked better as a three foot leader rather than main line.   ??? :'(
Always willing to try something new.

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:01 AM »

you live in Canada, ever use drennan.  good stuff.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:40 AM »
Drennan? Honestly never heard of it. I'd be using the fluoro strickly as a leader on harnesses and to add a leader to power pro or fire line. I don't think fluoro would work well spooked up on anything ha ha

Offline swc21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:06 PM »
I have been tying my spinning rigs with 14 # vanish. I have had the thought run through my mind wondering if the standard Snell knot holds the same with florocarbon compared to mono. I know typical knots used on mono do not hold the same on florocarbon when tying anything else. Any thoughts?

Offline MDC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2014, 09:52 PM »
I just searched YouTube but walleyekid and mike gofron from walleye workshop both use the same Snelling method for crawler rigs. One with 20lb fluoro the other with 14lb mono. Actually a lot of people use the quick snell. I'm hoping it will work well for me. As far as for a single hook application I'm not sure yet.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:53 PM »
well since another Ice fishing season will soon be upon us I thought I would add to this old thread from March, I have used the Seaguar fluoro and it is very good. It is a bit pricey but I hear the Cabelas no vis brand fluoro is made by Seaguar and is the  same as invisx just rebranded and only 13 to 17 bucks for 400yds right now on sale.  I'm going to give it a try and see for myself how it stacks up.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.